It's official, I'm hooked. So glad I didn't wait for dvd.

I'm looking forward to see the treatment of the "coronation" of viserys. I think it will be shocker for the non-read viewer, even more than Bran falling. It should really drive home the fact that no one is safe and the traditional protagonist/antagonist paradigm is not all that relevant here.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OMG you geeks. We like Game of Thrones, that doesn't mean you have immunity. No one cares about your faggot fantasy books. If HBO spends $100 mil making it a tv show, I'll give it a go. Otherwise, gtf

If SA's goal was to make the continued topic of conversation in this thread so insufferable that I almost don't care what he spoils anymore, his law degree just paid off.

no, i can actually read.

I'm looking forward to see the treatment of the "coronation" of viserys. I think it will be shocker for the non-read viewer, even more than Bran falling. It should really drive home the fact that no one is safe and the traditional protagonist/antagonist paradigm is not all that relevant here.

I agree. My wife never read the books but is loving the show and she absolutely despises Viserys and I can't wait to see him get crowned to see her reaction.

Little disappointed we aren't' seeing more cameos of the direwolves. Ghost and Summer play such huge roles with Jon and Bran that I don't understand why they aren't getting more little cameos during their scenes just to let you know they are around.Also loved the little tidbit from Old Nan when she was talking about the stories he liked and mentioned Sir Duncan the Tall. Great little Easter egg to the people who have read Martin's novellas that precede the series.
The dogs that play the wolves aren't actors, and they had a hard time training them and getting them to be as controlled as they needed, so they ended up saving them just for the scenes that were most important. I'm sure they originally wanted more direwolves, but the circumstances just didn't permit it. Most of the online "rage" has been the lack of Ghost, but he's in tomorrow's episode and hopefully gets more screen time since his important scenes will be increasing.Also, the Old Nan actress died a few weeks before the show premiered, which seemed like a cruel irony for someone that lived so long in the story.

From the "crowning" on forward, a main character will probably start to die every week. Should be interesting to see how the uninformed handle it.

I know why they are doing what they are doing with the direwolves, I just think it's going to be awkward when they later show a full grown Ghost and everyone is like... wtf did that come from? They are covering nearly a month an episode at the current pace, and while it will slow down a bit now that Ned is in King's Landing glossing over the wolves now might make some stuff later seem unusual.

I think that was the best episode yet. Great history lessons, and the story moved along quite nicely.
Fantastic and the ending was awesome.She owned that scene.

It was awesome getting to see a bunch of important characters make their real introductions... Samwell, Hodor (had a cameo in ep 1), Gregor, the 3 eyed crow, and got to see 3 of the 5 remaining direwolves. Also got to hear more about Theon being Theon since they cut out an earlier scene showing how much of a dick he is. I'm surprised how much they talked up Ros and didn't show her, thought there was going to be a scene with Tyrion and her for sure.

I wasn't that enamored with the episode. It was about 48 minutes of exposition. Which is completely fine. It is definitely needed because the history is so large and important but I just wasn't prepared for it. I was prepared for a couple different things happening but I guess that will be next episode. I will give them credit though for making a good episode that is nothing but exposition.

I wasn't that enamored with the episode. It was about 48 minutes of exposition. Which is completely fine. It is definitely needed because the history is so large and important but I just wasn't prepared for it. I was prepared for a couple different things happening but I guess that will be next episode. I will give them credit though for making a good episode that is nothing but exposition.
A review of one of the earlier episodes said something along the lines of "While I loved every individual scene in the episode, I didn't really like it as a whole." That's how I feel about most of the exposition stuff. I like most of the new scenes and how people are interacting, but most of the criticisms I read about pacing and information overload and unnecessary conversations and stuff I also completely understand and agree with. Overall, I'm still loving it and hoping stuff continues to progress and come together. The finale of the tourney next week should be great, as well as the whole trip to the Eyrie. Also, anything with Arya should be pretty awesome.
It was awesome getting to see a bunch of important characters make their real introductions... Samwell, Hodor (had a cameo in ep 1), Gregor, the 3 eyed crow, and got to see 3 of the 5 remaining direwolves. Also got to hear more about Theon being Theon since they cut out an earlier scene showing how much of a dick he is. I'm surprised how much they talked up Ros and didn't show her, thought there was going to be a scene with Tyrion and her for sure.
I really enjoy this show. But must admit without reading the books, almost every scene/episode makes me scratch my head. As for Tyrion with Ros scene wasn't that in the first episode. (When he was interrupted by Jamie). could be way off just guessing-- looking forward to the last 6 episodes--

I think this latest episode, while still better than 99% of what's on tv currently, is indicative of the problem with translating books as densely written as GoT to the screen, especially without using flashbacks to relay the historical reasons characters are doing what they're doing. At some point, probably several points actually, you are going to have to have episodes of near total exposition to set the stage for current and future events. I do feel bad for those that haven't read the books and are trying to keep the characters straight especially when we don't necessarily see the much of the character but they are referenced in dialogue. I read the books a few years ago and even I feel like referencing the character/family cheat sheet.

I think this latest episode, while still better than 99% of what's on tv currently, is indicative of the problem with translating books as densely written as GoT to the screen, especially without using flashbacks to relay the historical reasons characters are doing what they're doing. At some point, probably several points actually, you are going to have to have episodes of near total exposition to set the stage for current and future events.
Agree completely.

I agree with the above, I can see how this series can be really hard to watch for non book readersAs a reader of the books I really like how they are spending just enough time on each of the story lines. None of the characters are getting too much airtime, and so far nobody is really being neglected either.I loved how Sir Hugh was coughing up blood right before dying right in front of the two girls. That just shows how brutal this series can potentially be. MORE VIOLENCE!!!!

It's implied several times in the book. They added that scene however because it explains why

The Tyrell's join Renly's side in the claim for the throne in the second book

It's implied several times in the book. They added that scene however because it explains why

The Martell's join Renly's side in the claim for the throne in the second book

Yeah I thought it was made pretty clear in the book also.
Yeah I thought it was made pretty clear in the book also.
I wouldn't say its made clear, as I think a majority of readers don't pick it up on their own, but there are a growing number of references as Renly's story goes on. I found out about it over the winter, and once you start to think about it, then all sorts of things start to make a little more sense.It sure was a pretty gay scene though.Also, hooray for 8 year-olds breastfeeding!

Yeah, I'm really enjoying this show but it is pretty messed up.The queen and the "kingslayer" are brother and sister, right? I'm not misinterpreting that?I think I am probably enjoying it more than people who read the books.

and once you start to think about it, then all sorts of things start to make a little more sense.Also, hooray for 8 year-olds breastfeeding!
Yeah, now that I know it changes some things and makes some things make much more sense. lol, that was awesome.
Yeah, I'm really enjoying this show but it is pretty messed up.The queen and the "kingslayer" are brother and sister, right? I'm not misinterpreting that?I think I am probably enjoying it more than people who read the books.
Yes, Cersi and Jamie are brother and sister.
I really do wish I hadn't read the books, I would have loved to have seen this without knowing anything.and not only brother and sister... they are twins.There is some what of a tradition of incest in the royalty, the dethroned Targaryen kings usually married their sisters. That's the subtext between Viserys Daenerys, is that if he'd been king, they would have been man and wife, so there's a creepy sexual vibe between them. Also, Daenerys is like 13 at the start of the books or something, when she's pwned off on Drago. Martin runs a full gambit of sexual perversion.
Martin runs a full gamut of sexual perversion.
no pegging that I recall though.I've realized something about the read vs. nonread viewing experience:I read the books a few years ago and like most of my fiction reads, most of it was done right before sleep and I pretty much blew through them so I don't have as full of recall as some of the readers here seem to enjoy. I remember the large plot points and overall story arch but my viewing isn't, for lack of a better term, tainted by recall of many of the nitty gritty details, which is kind of nice. I won't be disappointed if some things are glossed over or left out and while the story isn't entirely new it probably seems fresher to me than to some.I think the exception is the Daenyrs-lesbianic activity that was only alluded to in the show but a bit more graphically explored in the book. That part pretty much went in the spank bank.

i'm enjoying the series so far. some random observations:oxx)===- the jousting "arena" seemed a bit low-budget. it didn't feel like the larger, richer spectacle i expected for a king-sponsored tourney.oxx)===- cersei seems a little too... sardonic? i expected more ice where they have her weathered & world-weary.oxx)===- tyrion is very well represented.oxx)===- sad to hardly see the direwolves. when john snow makes that nighttime threat to protect sam, ghost's abrupt snarling appearance is a bit jarring.oxx)===- really like the opening credits. in fact, if they used that look for a stylized video game of the books/series, i'd buy it.oxx)===- i'm on board with the "more show, less tell" idea. getting close to too much talking in place of action. that being said, they are doing a fine job on most of the conversing, they aren't falling out of character or looking wooden.oxx)===- the sword fights need a better choreographer. they stand too close to each other and as a result swing with their arms bent (it look like they're being too careful-- maybe they just haven't put in the time to be comfortable with swords), making it look 'wrong'... well, as wrong as someone's idea of sword fighting can be.

Just saw the episode... wow things are getting intenseThe only thing we are missing so far is more Joffrey being a piece of shit. I'm sure he will have more airtime soon though.lol the Arryn kid is epic. I WANT TO SEE HIM FLY!