I haven't read the books even though I have been told very strongly that they're worth reading. I was planning on it but the first book didn't get to the top of my queue in time. Now I'm glad I didn't read the books because this show is AWESOME! Characters developed in my imagination from books are always disappointing when presented in a movie or TV show. One example; Uma Thurman in Even Cowgirls Get The Blues.Either HD is so good that the green screens look fake or the show is shot on location and the HD makes it so real it looks fake. Surely the flames on the torches as the blackwhatevers were going through the winterwallwhatever were digital, right?

Hmm, touche. In my defense, you quoted a girl. I mean, come on.
I think she prefers bitch. Whew, I was wondering how I was going to work that into a post.
  • Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

OMG you geeks. We like Game of Thrones, that doesn't mean you have immunity. No one cares about your faggot fantasy books. If HBO spends $100 mil making it a tv show, I'll give it a go. Otherwise, gtf

If SA's goal was to make the continued topic of conversation in this thread so insufferable that I almost don't care what he spoils anymore, his law degree just paid off.

no, i can actually read.

So, I haven't posted on the forum for a really long time....a couple of years maybe? Over a year for sure. And shockingly, I didn't visit or read anything at FCP for about 8 months. A couple of months ago I started checking in again once or twice a week, and reading threads that caught my interest.I knew about Josh's original thread from a long time ago, regarding HBO making this series. Now that's it's started, I checked it out and saw this new thread too. I read it a week or 2 ago. And checked on it a couple of times since. When Mercury and Thera had their original exchange......which SkelJel kindly quoted......I read it, and had the same reaction in my head, as Theraflu did (that dude has no idea what he's talking about). But had no inclination to reply or add anything.Yesterday, I read the thread again.Thera had made mention of the fact, that he was offering insight to people that hadn't read the books, that were now watching the TV series. My interpretation of that, was that he was referring to real life people. Friends/family....whatever. His post had nothing to do with Mercury.But Mercury jumped on the pity train.......and made this comment "You make having been a douche to me in this thread sound like you're a saint"It was just such a stupid comment. It appeared to me that Merc took an opportunity to rekindle the "e-fight" between them from the week before. For no apparent reason, other to provoke, and be whiny. I had the urge to reply, and point that out. Whoopdie-fucking-do! I used the phrase "sweeping proclamations" instead of saying something like "generalizations" because I have a tendency to use exaggerated language to make a point. It's how I talk. Oh well!Of course I don't have issues with anyone having an opinion about the TV series, that hasn't read the books. Mercury was the only poster in the thread that had said ANYTHING that was annoying and "comically uninformed". And apparently I wasn't the only one that felt that way. So, I suggested he read the books before making assumptions. That was directed at him, no one else. I also suggested that people read the books.....not because they couldn't have a valid opinion about the TV series....but simply because it's good and they'd enjoy it, if they like the show.It seems to me that I'm not the person here, that needs a tampon or a chocolate fix.

I haven't read the books even though I have been told very strongly that they're worth reading. I was planning on it but the first book didn't get to the top of my queue in time. Now I'm glad I didn't read the books because this show is AWESOME! Characters developed in my imagination from books are always disappointing when presented in a movie or TV show. One example; Uma Thurman in Even Cowgirls Get The Blues.Either HD is so good that the green screens look fake or the show is shot on location and the HD makes it so real it looks fake. Surely the flames on the torches as the blackwhatevers were going through the winterwallwhatever were digital, right?I think she prefers bitch. Whew, I was wondering how I was going to work that into a post.
Gee, I wonder who it was that told you "strongly" to read these books, about a year ago and several times since. Some bitch, I suppose.I believe the green shots you're referencing were shot in Northern Ireland. I think.
I haven't read the books even though I have been told very strongly that they're worth reading. I was planning on it but the first book didn't get to the top of my queue in time. Now I'm glad I didn't read the books because this show is AWESOME! Characters developed in my imagination from books are always disappointing when presented in a movie or TV show. One example; Uma Thurman in Even Cowgirls Get The Blues.Either HD is so good that the green screens look fake or the show is shot on location and the HD makes it so real it looks fake. Surely the flames on the torches as the blackwhatevers were going through the winterwallwhatever were digital, right?
They did as little green screen/CGI stuff as possible. I think most of the wall is CGI, except for the parts you saw in the intro/next episode, where the gate is. In theory its a 700 foot wall of ice and earth, so they weren't going to duplicate too much of it. All of the "green" stuff was shot in Northern Ireland, like Allie said. All the castles and stuff were from around there too, or they built new ones. King's Landing (coming up next week also, I think) and the Dothraki scenes were mostly shot in Malta I believe. Mercury sucks.
Gee, I wonder who it was that told you "strongly" to read these books, about a year ago and several times since. Some bitch, I suppose.I believe the green shots you're referencing were shot in Northern Ireland. I think.
I wonder wonder who? ba doo doo doo...popNorthern Ireland is on my list of places to visit before I die. It's purdy.
They did as little green screen/CGI stuff as possible. I think most of the wall is CGI, except for the parts you saw in the intro/next episode, where the gate is. In theory its a 700 foot wall of ice and earth, so they weren't going to duplicate too much of it. All of the "green" stuff was shot in Northern Ireland, like Allie said. All the castles and stuff were from around there too, or they built new ones. King's Landing (coming up next week also, I think) and the Dothraki scenes were mostly shot in Malta I believe. Mercury sucks.
Hollywood is such a bunch of lazy mofo's.
Her hand maiden that was giving her lessons in pleasing men is even hotter.

I seem to recall some lesbianic fingerbanging from one of her slaves during a bath or something. I wonder if this is her and if we'll get to see it because if so I need to make sure I have tissues nearby.

I seem to recall some lesbianic fingerbanging from one of her slaves during a bath or something. I wonder if this is her and if we'll get to see it because if so I need to make sure I have tissues nearby.

I'm pretty sure it's her, but I thought it occurred during that scene, so I dunno. Tough to keep track of all those fun scenes.

Is this in the book?

I don't remember all the details from the the first book, but I noticed in this episode they did a better job of incorporating a lot of the more important scenes. I was happy to see the Syrio Forel/Arya sparring scene at the end. At first I thought, damn this guy is a little too over the top goofy, but he was that way in the book also and that scene was almost exactly as I had pictured it in the book. Overall so far they have done an amazing job with the casting imo.

I don't remember all the details from the the first book, but I noticed in this episode they did a better job of incorporating a lot of the more important scenes. I was happy to see the Syrio Forel/Arya sparring scene at the end. At first I thought, damn this guy is a little too over the top goofy, but he was that way in the book also and that scene was almost exactly as I had pictured it in the book. Overall so far they have done an amazing job with the casting imo.
That was a great scene, and I agree with the casting in general. Every scene with Jamie I like more and more. That scene with Jamie and Ned was great. But, I'll tell ya, I have no idea where they got a dwarf that can act like that. He's my favorite character in the show, and is just an amazing actor. This has to be the best role for a midget since willow.
But, I'll tell ya, I have no idea where they got a dwarf that can act like that. He's my favorite character in the show, and is just an amazing actor. This has to be the best role for a midget since willow.
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0227759/Peter Dinklage, it looks like he's been a busy working actor for a long time. I know his face was familiar to me before this but I couldn't think of anything that he'd been in before.I agree that he's great.
...the best current little man actor even has a cameo (the guy who's gonna play Tyrion))...
I'm going to assume you're talking about Peter Dinklage. Otherwise you would be horribly wrong.
Hmm. I remember these posts, but until just now I didn't know the significance of what's in the parentheses.
Hmm. I remember these posts, but until just now I didn't know the significance of what's in the parentheses.
and shame on run thinking it would only be a cameo. WHy, because he's short, he can't carry plot lines? SHAME!
and shame on run thinking it would only be a cameo. WHy, because he's short, he can't carry plot lines? SHAME!
I think he was saying that he had a cameo in the film he was talking about not Game of Thrones

Agree. Dinklage is awesome and the character is terrific.Oe thing I'm noticing is that the character development is more complex and mature than many shows, esp similar fantasy shows. Jamie, for example, had me wondering whether or not he's been in the right place at the right time and has little or no practical experience in battle (and this has been alluded to in a couple of scenes), yet last night's episode clearly shows he can wield a sword,as well as hold his own against some of the stronger characters (Ned and the King).Although it might have helped my cause some if I'd read the books, I don't think NOT reading them is an impediment and I am thouroughly enjoying how things are developing.

I think last night was the first time they called Jamie the Kingslayer. Yes Jamie can hold his own quite well. Tryion was one of my top 3 fav characters of the book and Peter is playing him exceptionally well.

They called him the kingslayer in the first episode too. The guy playing Jamie had me worried before the show started and he has turned out to be doing a great job which bodes well for what happens later. The scene with Syrio was great, probably my favorite of the series so far he was perfect. Little disappointed we aren't' seeing more cameos of the direwolves. Ghost and Summer play such huge roles with Jon and Bran that I don't understand why they aren't getting more little cameos during their scenes just to let you know they are around.Also loved the little tidbit from Old Nan when she was talking about the stories he liked and mentioned Sir Duncan the Tall. Great little Easter egg to the people who have read Martin's novellas that precede the series.

Little disappointed we aren't' seeing more cameos of the direwolves. Ghost and Summer play such huge roles with Jon and Bran that I don't understand why they aren't getting more little cameos during their scenes just to let you know they are around.
I've been waiting patiently for Hodor also lol.I think once Bran and Jon figure out how important their direwolves are we will see them tagging along in every scene. Or I hope.