World Cup 2010 Thread

I know this isn't hockey, but the other forums suck, and I love everybody here, so I thought we could have this thread here. I placed a few bets about a week ago on the world cup, here are the odds of all the teams. Spain 5 to 1Brazil 5 to 1England 7 to 1Argentina 8 to 1Italy 13 to 1Germany 13 to 1Holland 13 to 1France 19 to 1 Portugal 29 to 1Ivory Coast 29 to 1Ghana 62 to 1Paraguay 62 to 1Chile 67 to 1Serbia 67 to 1USA 81 to 1Mexico 81 to 1 Cameroon 101 to 1Uruguay 101 to 1Australia 126 to 1South Africa 126 to 1Denmark 151 to 1Switzerland 151 to 1Nigeria 151 to 1Greece 151 to 1 Slovakia 201 to 1Slovenia 201 to 1Japan 251 to 1South Korea 251 to 1Algeria 351 to 1Honduras 1001 to 1North Korea 1501 to 1New Zealand 2001 to 1I wanted to pick about 5 teams, one favourite, two middle of the pack teams with good value, then two super longshot. Mind you, my soccer knowledge is probably the worst of anybody in this forum, I just did these picks based on about one hour of research at work because I didn't want to work. My Favourite PickENGLAND 7 to 1Risk $30 to win $210Reasoning: I know a few guys are injured, but they are in just such a bad group. I know they choke everytime, but I don't want to jump on the Brazil/Spain bandwagon that everybody else seems to be on. I realize Germany probably has better value, but this guy named Ollie makes awesome golf picks, so this pick is for Ollie. F*ck Germany, Italy, France, and all the other favourites. Fish and chips, Coronation Street, Ollie, David Beckham, Spice Girls, lets f*cking do this England. My Middle of the Pack PicksPortugal 29 to 1Risk $10 to win $290Reasoning: Yes, Portugal is in a tough group and might not even make it out of the qualification round with Ivory Coast and Brazil, but they have the only player in the tournament I know. This is like my Ovechkin pick. Cristiano Renaldo, woooooooooooooo, I am such a poser. Go Portugal Go!!!Chile 67 to 1Risk $10 to win $670Reasoning: Spain should win this group easily, but then Chile is up against Switzerland and Hondurus. From what, I hear people in Chile can run really fast. Speed kills. Boom boom pow, my hope is that Chile gets second in their group, and then miracle. Yes. Miracle. My longshotsDenmark 151 to 1Risk $10 to win $1510Reasoning: The group isn't too strong with Netherlands, Cameroon, and Japan. They also were strong in the qualifying round beating Sweden, Portugal, and Hungary. South Korea 251 to 1Risk $10 to win $2510Reasoning: Hail Mary one time?So yeah those are my picks, in no way am I an expert.

• Replies 914
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Talked to a friend that is pretty knowledgeable today and he assures me huge upsets are very rare in these things..Other than Greece a few years ago in Euro..Italy , Germany and Holland all look like good bets at nice odds.

Great thread! Ill be totally fixated on this in June.love the English bet. Maybe the Portugese could suprise. The others are a long shot, but fun IMO.Just curious, ever consider the win the group bets? Denmark might have great value there.Looking forward to watching USA vs England in Vegas, and rooting against the Americans.

Arp, is this going on while we're in Vegas?
you'll be gone, I'll be there. Starts June 11.What do you think my chances are of getting Fatburger to show the games at 6am?
I would bet on the orange jerseys.
as a kid, my favourite team was Argentina, but I secretly rooted for the Dutch because I did love the uni's! hell, I became a fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers because the of the Orange. (that, and they were pitiful. I love the underdog)
Talked to a friend that is pretty knowledgeable today and he assures me huge upsets are very rare in these things..Other than Greece a few years ago in Euro..Italy , Germany and Holland all look like good bets at nice odds.
Spain 5 to 1 - In a relatively easy group but have a tough cross over game against likely either Brazil or Portugal....still co-favorites though. A solid team up and down if your betting on top scorers Torres and Villa are always near the top. Brazil 5 to 1 - Featured in this world cups version of the "group of death", never the less theyre still co-favorites. Having 2 group games against tough teams without the risk of elimination should help them but if they lose to either theyll face elimination against Spain. They dont have any players that you could say are top 5 like in years past but theyre a solid team all around. Fabiano is a solid scorer but with such a balanced team its tough to see him scoring enough goals to win the scoring title. England 7 to 1 - While it could be argued they have the talent to be favored they can never seem to pull it together. Goaltending always seems to be an issue with England and this world cup is no different...a risky bet being 7 to 1 but it shouldnt be a surprise if they pull it off. Look at Rooney to contend for the scoring title. Argentina 8 to 1 - Theyre biggest downfall may be theyre crazy coach but they also have the best player in the world in Messi. Messi should be the favorite for the scoring title but he has yet to show his club form at the international level. With a weak cross over group Argentina has a relatively easy path to go deep in the tournament. Look out for Tevez as a dark horse. Italy 13 to 1 - Hard to count out the defending champs but theyre group was one of the oldest in 2006 and theyve brought back pretty much the same group for 2010. If they win theyll be experienced but if they lose theyll just be old. No favorites here for the scoring title...maybe Gilardino as a dark horse if your feeling risky.Germany 13 to 1 - While they are amongst the favorites losing their captain Ballack just before the tournament will be a huge blow. A solid team but not as strong as theyve been in recent years. Podolski has been playing well recently. Holland 13 to 1 - Good value at 13 to 1 they have several players that should contend for the scoring title. They always seem to blow people away in the group stages with their offence and then choke when it counts....it may be their year. Portugal 29 to 1 - These are the highest odds i've seen them at...lots of value at 29 to 1 for the 3rd ranked team in the world as they stand today. With tough group stage matches against Brazil and the Ivory Coast they have work to do in order to advance but they shouldnt have too much time atleast finishing in the top 2. However, 2nd place in the group likely means a match against Spain to start the elimination rounds. More than any other team Portugal relies on theyre star, Cristiano Ronaldo....if he plays well theyll win, if he doesnt theyll lose...that simple. The winner is definitely gonna come from the above group of teams.
LOL, way to go on a limb, and just take like the top 8 teams almost.
Haha not like that...im actually going for Portugal. Just saying soccer is unlike other sports because only the favorites win.
Spain 5 to 1 - In a relatively easy group but have a tough cross over game against likely either Brazil or Portugal....still co-favorites though. A solid team up and down if your betting on top scorers Torres and Villa are always near the top. Brazil 5 to 1 - Featured in this world cups version of the "group of death", never the less theyre still co-favorites. Having 2 group games against tough teams without the risk of elimination should help them but if they lose to either theyll face elimination against Spain. They dont have any players that you could say are top 5 like in years past but theyre a solid team all around. Fabiano is a solid scorer but with such a balanced team its tough to see him scoring enough goals to win the scoring title. England 7 to 1 - While it could be argued they have the talent to be favored they can never seem to pull it together. Goaltending always seems to be an issue with England and this world cup is no different...a risky bet being 7 to 1 but it shouldnt be a surprise if they pull it off. Look at Rooney to contend for the scoring title. Argentina 8 to 1 - Theyre biggest downfall may be theyre crazy coach but they also have the best player in the world in Messi. Messi should be the favorite for the scoring title but he has yet to show his club form at the international level. With a weak cross over group Argentina has a relatively easy path to go deep in the tournament. Look out for Tevez as a dark horse. Italy 13 to 1 - Hard to count out the defending champs but theyre group was one of the oldest in 2006 and theyve brought back pretty much the same group for 2010. If they win theyll be experienced but if they lose theyll just be old. No favorites here for the scoring title...maybe Gilardino as a dark horse if your feeling risky.Germany 13 to 1 - While they are amongst the favorites losing their captain Ballack just before the tournament will be a huge blow. A solid team but not as strong as theyve been in recent years. Podolski has been playing well recently. Holland 13 to 1 - Good value at 13 to 1 they have several players that should contend for the scoring title. They always seem to blow people away in the group stages with their offence and then choke when it counts....it may be their year. Portugal 29 to 1 - These are the highest odds i've seen them at...lots of value at 29 to 1 for the 3rd ranked team in the world as they stand today. With tough group stage matches against Brazil and the Ivory Coast they have work to do in order to advance but they shouldnt have too much time atleast finishing in the top 2. However, 2nd place in the group likely means a match against Spain to start the elimination rounds. More than any other team Portugal relies on theyre star, Cristiano Ronaldo....if he plays well theyll win, if he doesnt theyll lose...that simple. The winner is definitely gonna come from the above group of teams.
I'll take the field.
you'll be gone, I'll be there. Starts June 11.What do you think my chances are of getting Fatburger to show the games at 6am?
They might. There's probably a bigger chance they laugh at you for liking soccer though. The US is stupid.
as a kid, my favourite team was Argentina, but I secretly rooted for the Dutch because I did love the uni's! hell, I became a fan of the Tampa Bay Buccaneers because the of the Orange. (that, and they were pitiful. I love the underdog)
I know I was cheering for the Dutch women at the speedskating events in the Olympics. :club:

Anyone interested in doing a World cup pool for the hockey guys?It wouldnt be a pool in the traditional sense with goal scoring..Somehow we pick teams..not sure how to do it though..If there is interest, lets do it up.

Anyone interested in doing a World cup pool for the hockey guys?It wouldnt be a pool in the traditional sense with goal scoring..Somehow we pick teams..not sure how to do it though..If there is interest, lets do it up.
I'd be perhaps interested. I think though, I would like to do a pool with selecting for top goal scorers. Spain and U.S. will be the teams I've got my eyes on.

I always root for Portugal. I have no idea why but this will be the 4th straight WC that I do.I will rooting on England as well because I love the country and the people.I will also follow the US because I played soccer all my life and I enjoy the fact that I am one of 45 Americans who cares for their soccer team.

obv rooting for england but holland are huge value at 13/1. they should be 8/1 at best. i have made a fairly large wager on them at 14s and look forward to collecting
i would think you would be the Soccer(football) expert on here, by a mile..

i dont know about expert but i watch a hell of a lot of it lol. spain to reach the final is a lock as well i reckon. their side of the draw is much easier.-argentina are undermined by the fact that they have maradona as a manager and he wont let messi play in a free role as he doesnt like the idea of messi being a better player than he was. they almost didnt qualify and yet are priced at 8/1 which is laughable-germany will be solid and will likely make the semis but they will suffer as they lack experienced flair players (though they have a couple of youngsters coming through like mesut ozil), plus ballack is out so they dont have their talisman.-italy are way too old-portugal have no depth-ivory coast are inconsistentwhatever price spain are to make the final, i would lump on. japan is my dark horse to make the quarters.

i dont know about expert but i watch a hell of a lot of it lol. spain to reach the final is a lock as well i reckon. their side of the draw is much easier.-argentina are undermined by the fact that they have maradona as a manager and he wont let messi play in a free role as he doesnt like the idea of messi being a better player than he was. they almost didnt qualify and yet are priced at 8/1 which is laughable-germany will be solid and will likely make the semis but they will suffer as they lack experienced flair players (though they have a couple of youngsters coming through like mhmet ozil), plus ballack is out so they dont have their talisman.-italy are way too old-portugal have no depth-ivory coast are inconsistentwhatever price spain are to make the final, i would lump on. japan is my dark horse to make the quarters.
isnt betting on Italy like betting on the Yankees, Lakers and Cowboys??

So we are anxiously waiting for a phone call from my sons soccer coach. His league starts next week.This year the Ajax Azzurri Soccer club decided, all the teams will be countries in the World Cup. So my son will get a jersey of a country.Whatever it is , thats the team ill follow and bet on this year.