I've been on a terrible downswing..it's so bad, that if i didnt' keep track of wins/losses, i would be thinking I'm a loser for the year...anyways...i really need some help.Villain is a tight/agg player. He's in the BB. It's about 7 handed, and a straddle. Hero is on button. There are about 3 limpers, hero limps in with 33, sb folds, villain/bb calls $5 more, and UTG checks his option. Flop - $60 2 4 5 rainbow5 checks to hero on buttonHero bets $35 (stack is $550ish left)BB/villain raises to $80 (has about $500 left)4 foldsHero calls $45Turn - $2208 (2 diamonds now on board - i had the 3 of diamonds if it matters)Villain checksHero???Should I check on the flop? Re-raise villain's raise? I'm so lost in this hand, i feel like i played it terrible....i'll let u know the results afterwards...

Preflop is fine, bet on the flop is fine, and call on the flop is ok if you think you can stack the BB if an A or 6 hits, which I think is unlikely. (Stacking him I mean)On the turn, I would definitely check behind. If we don't improve on the river, I probably fold to a bet no matter what the river is. (Barring an A, 6, or possibly a 3)

Preflop is fine, bet on the flop is fine, and call on the flop is ok if you think you can stack the BB if an A or 6 hits, which I think is unlikely. (Stacking him I mean)On the turn, I would definitely check behind. If we don't improve on the river, I probably fold to a bet no matter what the river is. (Barring an A, 6, or possibly a 3)
spot on, but i may not stack off if the 3rd 3 hits, he is kinda repping a monster, but for these odds i miss the fold button
We are calling $45 more into a pot of $175, nearly 4-1. I think we need to make like an extra $10 when/if we hit for this call to be profitable. I don't think we need to be stacking off villain that much when we are getting 4-1
We are calling $45 more into a pot of $175, nearly 4-1. I think we need to make like an extra $10 when/if we hit for this call to be profitable. I don't think we need to be stacking off villain that much when we are getting 4-1
And it's even better when the villain gives us a chance at a free card on the turn as well, instantly making the call profitable.This line is perfect if you asked for the river.

Then i definitely played this wrong on the turn....I bet $110 on the turn when checked to.I just felt most of the time he would have a 3, or a weak 5 or less, and think that I was betting on the button to pick up the pot. When I call his raise, and then bet when checked to, i was hoping he would put me on a bigger hand that what he has.So betting the turn is not the right play here in the long run?

I really don't think you're getting the fold you want often enough no... not as afraid of the double c-r.
this is probably one my biggest weaknesses...trying to pick up the pot when i should just take the safe card and check behind. especially heads up or three handed, its' ridiculous how many times i'll fire a bet when i should check...i'm not worried about the double cr, especially with this player, since i would expect a donk to do that with a monster...anyways, after i bet 110, he calls, and the river is a 3...he fires out 100 flat...looks like a value/blocking bet no? does anyone raise here as a bluff?
he fires out 100 flat...looks like a value/blocking bet no? does anyone raise here as a bluff?
I don't think he's going to fold a 6 with this pot size.

yes, but do you put him on a 6 when he bets only $100? I think he'll bet more, no? Obviously, i know what he has, so my thinking is skewed a bit...but i really think he bets closer to 1/2 - 2/3 pot if he has a 6. the 100 bet seems more like "i want to get to showdown" bet...

yes, but do you put him on a 6 when he bets only $100? I think he'll bet more, no? Obviously, i know what he has, so my thinking is skewed a bit...but i really think he bets closer to 1/2 - 2/3 pot if he has a 6. the 100 bet seems more like "i want to get to showdown" bet...
default is a call... but honestly, since this is live... all 3 decisions could be correct based on body language...so start reading up on Caro and the stuff in the other thread posted recently from that fbi agent was pretty good
yes, but do you put him on a 6 when he bets only $100?
no
I think he'll bet more, no? Obviously, i know what he has, so my thinking is skewed a bit...but i really think he bets closer to 1/2 - 2/3 pot if he has a 6. the 100 bet seems more like "i want to get to showdown" bet...
Right, so what hands are we trying to bluff? A bigger set? Edit: Or the ace.

i have that fbi book....but trying to read into physical tells is probably the most difficult thing i've encountered in poker....especially if a player is aware..anyways, i called, and he had A-5....in hindsight, i think i should have raised his river bluff...his 100 bet was meant as a blocker bet, and he probably would've folded if i raised all in..

i have that fbi book....but trying to read into physical tells is probably the most difficult thing i've encountered in poker....especially if a player is aware..anyways, i called, and he had A-5....in hindsight, i think i should have raised his river bluff...his 100 bet was meant as a blocker bet, and he probably would've folded if i raised all in..
You're being results orientedwithout reads he very often may go "but lulz i hases a straighted" and take a bet-call line where it should theoretically be a bet-fold anyhowalso... remember... the break even point is 1 in 6ish on the call... you need a pretty good argument to bluff raise a set here
You're being results orientedwithout reads he very often may go "but lulz i hases a straighted" and take a bet-call line where it should theoretically be a bet-fold anyhowalso... remember... the break even point is 1 in 6ish on the call... you need a pretty good argument to bluff raise a set here
yeah, i guess i am...but man, the minute i saw his hand, i was like wtf... i should've shoved over his bet...i know he would think i had a 6 and trying to make it look like a bluff (which it would be)..but he would be smart enough to fold it...it's funny, cause im thinking he's a good player, i'm assuming he'll fold the winner..lol...

Even though you're in a downswing it bodes well for your game that you wanted to turn a set into a bluff here. Not to say it would've worked, or even that this was a good time to do it, but it's a move that most players wouldn't ever consider.

Even though you're in a downswing it bodes well for your game that you wanted to turn a set into a bluff here. Not to say it would've worked, or even that this was a good time to do it, but it's a move that most players wouldn't ever consider.
thanks...but i think at the table, i was too late to consider it...had i instantly, or maybe waited about 5 seconds after his bet to shove, it would've worked.....i find myself getting angrier and angrier at losing hands that shouldn't been called by a villain in the first place...when i was winning, i didnt mind the calls, but now, i look at the monster pots i build only to lose to a bad river, or a hand that has no business being there, and i feel like, damn, that's the difference between a winning /losing session...