• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Me too. Last time, they opened with "Heat of the Moment."
GD it. I caught this thread right before I went to bed. How the hell am I supposed to go to bed now when my side aches and my keyboard is full of warm milk?

heard yesterday that Obama's considering renewing some of the Bush tax cuts for a little while longer. I have to say, if you're gonna go balls out and use stimulus like he did, you may as well not dampen an already rocky recovery with higher taxes. the fed's statement kinda hinted at that, especially with the wording re: europe's problems.we need higher taxes and an attitude adjustment long-term, but now's probably not the time.

rumors around the market that qe could return as well, but with 10s at 3% and 30s at 4% i don't really know where you want things to go so i don't see it

rumors around the market that qe could return as well, but with 10s at 3% and 30s at 4% i don't really know where you want things to go so i don't see it
Isn't that pretty much what we were doing all of last year?
  • 3 weeks later...
discussion of the euro and the gold standard.contrary to the opinion espoused in the above link, I think the real solution to this whole mess is to go back to the gold standard. It'd be pretty easy to implement, and it seems like the one guaranteed way to ensure that politicians are unable to saddle the unwitting public with these huge debt loads.
soros: the crisis and the eurobasically, soros thinks germany's driving the euro into a deflationary cycle.
As I said at the beginning, what is needed is a delicate, two-phase maneuver, similar to the one the authorities undertook after the failure of Lehman Brothers. First help Europe to grow its way out of its difficulties and then revise and strengthen the structure of the euro. This cannot be done without German leadership. I hope Germany will once again live up to the responsibilities. After all, it has done so in the past.Germany went into the G-20 meeting in Toronto on June 26–27 largely isolated. Before the meeting, President Obama publicly pleaded with Angela Merkel to change her policies. At the meeting the tables were turned. Canada’s Stephen Harper as the host and David Cameron, the newly elected Conservative prime minister of the UK, lined up behind Merkel, leaving Obama isolated. Supporting Merkel’s approach, the G-20 endorsed a halving of budget deficits by 2013 as the target. This has extended the threat of a deflationary spiral to the global economy, making the experience of the 1930s even more relevant than it was when I gave much of the preceding text as a speech at Humboldt University.The political leaders claim to take their cue from the financial markets but they are misreading the signals. Sovereign risk premiums have widened in Europe because of the situation of the banks; but yields on the government bonds of the US, Japan, and Germany are at or near all-time lows, yield curves are flattening, and commodity prices are declining—all foreshadowing deflation. Equity markets have also come under pressure but that is because of the lack of clear leadership. The range of uncertainties is unusually wide: markets need to discount inflation, default, and disintegration, all at the same time. No wonder that equity prices are falling.The world’s leaders urgently need to learn that they have to lead markets and not seek to follow them. Of course, they also need to get their policies right and forge a consensus—a difficult trifecta. Right now the G-20 nations are converging around the wrong policy.
basically, soros thinks germany's driving the euro into a deflationary cycle.
The world is getting awfully sick and tired of finance models and people like Soros; good to see England and Germany tell the him to stick it by choosing prudence over roof-fiddling 'economic theory'.Interesting to see how the world handles things this time around and if the new phenomenon of 'political correctness' is able to keep everyone's heads in the sand, oblivious to what's going on and who's perpetrating it... They're rapidly coming due for another smackdown.

his point, and I obviously don't know enough about the EU to confirm it, is that their policies are not really equipped to prevent deflation. germany's history with hyperinflation obviously plays a part here.soros does seem to think the EU is screwed long-term with the current rules.

soros does seem to think the EU is screwed long-term with the current rules.
The world needs to stop listening to the people who insist we destroy our currencies and instead, start adding value back into them.A very, very, very small handful of people at the tippy-top of the global finance pyramid benefit from inflation and encourage it by all means via whatever channels of influence they can exert.They put out compelling theories and matter-of-factly insist that currency destruction the only course of action. Germany listened to their 'wisdom' in the 20's and wound up paying them back for the outcome a couple decades later... For quite some time, we've been listening to them, too. It's time to disregard their lies and return to what's plainly the correct method of operation instead of building this colossal fiscal house of hyperinflated matzos crackers that we desperately try to keep propped up with a mixture of blaring clarinets and bullshit.
The world needs to stop listening to the people who insist we destroy our currencies and instead, start adding value back into them.A very, very, very small handful of people at the tippy-top of the global finance pyramid benefit from inflation and encourage it by all means via whatever channels of influence they can exert.They put out compelling theories and matter-of-factly insist that currency destruction the only course of action. Germany listened to their 'wisdom' in the 20's and wound up paying them back for the outcome a couple decades later... For quite some time, we've been listening to them, too. It's time to disregard their lies and return to what's plainly the correct method of operation instead of building this colossal fiscal house of hyperinflated matzos crackers that we desperately try to keep propped up with a mixture of blaring clarinets and bullshit.
The elders of zion?
UNxUd.jpg
dsg591_990_600.jpgNotice how they basically line up (save for them goofy Japs... LOL at them endeavoring to be like us and thinking they could achieve an Anglo type civilization on merit... Creativity is what wins the game, Yoshi... Not copying. Lets see you clone and miniaturize your way out of this mess... You can't make Hondas and Nintendos fast enough. ) The problem is, our trade-imbalances, debt service and domestic spending paint a bleak ****ing future, regardless of how well we've done in the past or are doing now, relative to other countries... Our best days are behind us and we will enter a state of elegant decay, but ignored debt lives forever. We're like that former hedge fund guy who got shitcanned and wound up working as a pizza delivery man because he spent every dime he made and took on mountains of debt based on previous earning expectations that suddenly ceased to exist.
Notice how they basically line up (save for them goofy Japs... LOL at them endeavoring to be like us and thinking they could achieve an Anglo type civilization on merit... Creativity is what wins the game, Yoshi... Not copying. Lets see you clone and miniaturize your way out of this mess... You can't make Hondas and Nintendos fast enough. ) The problem is, our trade-imbalances, debt service and domestic spending paint a bleak ****ing future, regardless of how well we've done in the past or are doing now, relative to other countries... Our best days are behind us and we will enter a state of elegant decay, but ignored debt lives forever. We're like that former hedge fund guy who got shitcanned and wound up working as a pizza delivery man because he spent every dime he made and took on mountains of debt based on previous earning expectations that suddenly ceased to exist.
Line up? The US is a middling country if you want to analyze on a GDP basis.SIGChart5.jpg
  • 3 months later...

Ireland is almost going under and it seems are being pressured to take bail-out money. From what I know, many countries that took money from the IMF had to agree to all sort of radical economic changes: Bolivia, Thailand and many more. None of these situations ended well. I've been reading a lot online and even used wikianswers but can't find out: If we took the money, what would we have to agree to and what would be the actual long lasting effects? I'm sure there are great reasons why my government are refusing to take billions to save us, I just don't know why. If anyone has any idea, much appreciated.

If we took the money, what would we have to agree to and what would be the actual long lasting effects?
Austerity measures. The reasons your 'government' is avoiding this is because it would have a significant and almost immediate impact on your standard of living, which in turn would cost them their jobs. The greatest weakness of any democracy is that it incentivizes the bureaucrats to take a myopic view of everything as a matter of job preservation.The Chinese model seems to be the right one. A carefully planed, forward thinking totalitarian dictatorship, facilitating productivity and performing *just enough* political incarcerations and executions to keep the rabble on their toes. Speaking of 'on their toes', has Ireland considered that perhaps conscripting the entire country into a gigantic, global touring Riverdance Troupe might help bring in some cash flow? I'd pay to go see that...