I'm going early-mid June, haven't finalized my dates yet though, figuring out work issues.

Too bad we couldn't get a nice FCP/FCHL showing, maybe next year with some planning?

Wayne, isnt that when your 25th wedding anniversary is? lol. pretty sure last time was 20th when you came out with us, and I think that was 2011?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's a quick synopsis: ( provided a running commentary on twitter too with pictures)   Thursday 5:30 AM: Woke up the boy for hockey practice. He was tired and cranky LOL. Drove up the the airport

Another trip done. Stayed at Bellagio 3 nights during work, 5 nights at the suite at MGM for fun. Some highlights I thought some of you would appreciate:   - Noodles at Bellagio. 3 meals, which is

So my little drummer boy son is a big ACDC fan, and an even bigger beatles fan. So on the Thursday of Superbowl weekend, I'm going to tell him I'm going to drive him to school. Instead, I'm driving

Posted Images

I'm going early-mid June, haven't finalized my dates yet though, figuring out work issues.

Too bad we couldn't get a nice FCP/FCHL showing, maybe next year with some planning?

Wayne, isnt that when your 25th wedding anniversary is? lol. pretty sure last time was 20th when you came out with us, and I think that was 2011?

Yes it is my 25th this year. My how time has flown by. 3 kids latter and all. My wife and I don't have any plans because she went back to school to get her teaching degree. So her nose is buried in her books. She asked if I was going early June. The problem is that no one can take my girls to their activities during the week if I left. Otto will be hitting the books for the final push. So I guess I am needed at home. I am itching to just sit and play poker for hours. The time I went last year in Tampa with the cousin was extremely fun

• 2 weeks later...

Chris or anyone else who has knowledge of this:

I'm flying into Vegas on July 8th in the evening. I plan to check into my room, probably at MGM, get settled, then cab over to the Rio. I'll be paying cash at the WSOP cashier for my entry into the main event. Will I get to choose my starting day (starting days are 9th, 10th, 11th). I assume there is zero chance of me not being able to get into the tournament for any reason, correct me if I am wrong. Anything else I should know?

Chris or anyone else who has knowledge of this:

I'm flying into Vegas on July 8th in the evening. I plan to check into my room, probably at MGM, get settled, then cab over to the Rio. I'll be paying cash at the WSOP cashier for my entry into the main event. Will I get to choose my starting day (starting days are 9th, 10th, 11th). I assume there is zero chance of me not being able to get into the tournament for any reason, correct me if I am wrong. Anything else I should know?

Nope, you're golden. You pick your starting day for the Main when you register. Almost zero chance of a sellout in advance, since Caesar's has sworn they will never turn anyone away for the Main again. You need a Total Rewards card, and two pieces of ID, one of which is your passport. Oh, yeah, don't forget your 10K cash! And good luck good luck good luck!! Happy to impart what little wisdom I have on how to play the ME. It's WAY different than any other event you'll play during the WSOP. Which is a good thing.

Thanks Chris! I'll take any tips and hints. I'm very confident in my poker abilities, and there's not too many situations that make me uncomfortable, but I've obviously never played an event like the WSOP main before.

My strategy will change depending on my table, but I plan to keep pots small on day 1 and just survive the day. Raise a lot in position but have a limited/no 3-bet range. If my table is insanely tough for some reason then I'll consider opening things up quite a bit at some point. I'm definitely not going to be a nit, in fact I plan to be one of the most active players at my table (depending on the table), but I'd like to avoid large pots and high variance situations as much as possible.. I tend to get myself a spewy table image relatively quickly most of the time and feast on that.

If you're bringing $10k and probably some change, maybe worth hitting up Chris' (or another) host if you don't have one? Guessing they'll be no shortage of young guys with $10k in town that week but still might get you some freebies

Style aside, the best piece of advice is listen to all the conversation at your table. Figure out who's there on a once in a lifetime shot, who's played a bunch, etc. Who's a rich lawyer, and who's a bus driver. You'll figure out players and styles fast enough, but nothing helps me more than knowing what guy isn't going to blow his only shot on day 1. I've always bullied the crap out of those guys and stayed away from the pros or rich guys willing to gamble it up.

• Like 1

How would you guys play the $75 daily MGM tournament in the first week of June?

:)

same way I play the Saskatchewan Seal Hunt mixed game at Aria.
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

Just over 1 month to Vegas. I have never been this excited for a Vegas trip. As silly as it sounds, I am really excited for the first 5 days there by myself. Haven't had a straight up poker-centric trip to Vegas in a few years

• Like 2

I got 52hrs before I head out. Cant fcking wait, especially once work is done.

(wow, I just realized the 52hours. Holy crap, so much to do before then)

• Like 2

I can't even imagine what a trip like that would be like...it has to be an insane confluence of events for me to get 12-24 hours with no wife/kids, and if I do, I am almost certainly at home with no car and a list of crap to do that I've been putting off for months. Going to Vegas with no agenda except poker, or even for work but with free evenings would almost be kind of weird (in a great way).

I think I would have a hard time enjoying a trip like that...I'd be constantly worrying that I wasn't using the time well lol

I can't even imagine what a trip like that would be like...it has to be an insane confluence of events for me to get 12-24 hours with no wife/kids, and if I do, I am almost certainly at home with no car and a list of crap to do that I've been putting off for months. Going to Vegas with no agenda except poker, or even for work but with free evenings would almost be kind of weird (in a great way).

I think I would have a hard time enjoying a trip like that...I'd be constantly worrying that I wasn't using the time well lol

I actually want to do this one time.

My wife told me to go to Vegas just to play poker after tax season. She told me to go alone.

You know what I personally believe is time well spent? Time spent all alone, thinking.

The more I discuss this with friends, the more I realize no one has any peace and quiet in their lives anymore. Now I realize Vegas isnt exactly "peace and quiet", but the ability to detach from all of lifes responsibilities and constant access of everyone to you, is quite liberating.

• Like 3

I actually want to do this one time.

My wife told me to go to Vegas just to play poker after tax season. She told me to go alone.

You should!

Before my buddy Armen got into my industry, I was alone on these trips. Granted, lots of time spent with clients at dinner+wherever, but I quite enjoy the solitude, even if that "solitude" is spent with 9 other people at a poker table. Ability to do what you want, when you want to do it, is just amazing.

You know what I personally believe is time well spent? Time spent all alone, thinking.

The more I discuss this with friends, the more I realize no one has any peace and quiet in their lives anymore. Now I realize Vegas isnt exactly "peace and quiet", but the ability to detach from all of lifes responsibilities and constant access of everyone to you, is quite liberating.

I'm in that sweet spot of no longer having homework while not having enough responsibility at work. Very easy to detach. Lol

I'm with you on that Arp. Most nights once everything in the house is done, I'll go out onto my back porch at least for a few minutes and just do nothing. I go by myself and don't take my phone or anything, just take a few minutes to detach myself from everything and refocus.

I'm with you on that Arp. Most nights once everything in the house is done, I'll go out onto my back porch at least for a few minutes and just do nothing. I go by myself and don't take my phone or anything, just take a few minutes to detach myself from everything and refocus.

Now thats a sweet spot. Well done.

And you're pulling off the key for me, which is to not take my phone with me. Im pretty piss poor on the discipline level on that one, but Im going to get better.

Now thats a sweet spot. Well done.

And you're pulling off the key for me, which is to not take my phone with me. Im pretty piss poor on the discipline level on that one, but Im going to get better.

funny, I do the exact same private retreat moves. Except I do mine with a guitar. Sit and play for 20 minutes, I clear my mind, reset my emotional roller coaster, and get some think time in. The music only enhances it.

funny, I do the exact same private retreat moves. Except I do mine with a guitar. Sit and play for 20 minutes, I clear my mind, reset my emotional roller coaster, and get some think time in. The music only enhances it.

I enjoy the sound of poker chips and playing against 9 strangers as a retreat