Stepping Up To The Main Event

Full Tilt has launched their new step SnG satties to the WSOP ME and I think I'm going to jump into the action. I thought it might be interesting to have a thread where people can chronicle their step journeys. Tilt's steps are interesting because they have far more variety than Stars has ever had, including 4-person HU knockouts, 6-max, 9-man and 18-man regular speed, turbos, and super turbos, plus they have lower buyins to start (step 1 starts at $3.30).I think I might start by buying in directly to one $8 step 2, 9-man turbo and see how far I can get. I'm also curious to try the HU knockout even though I have almost zero experience in HU SnGs.Has anyone else started their step journey yet?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where are the $2100 superturbos? You can step all the way with them, but can't finish?
LOL, I guess they figure that playing a $2100 super turbo for a ME seat is a bit silly. There are regular turbos, however.I decided to start at the bottom with a $3.30, 9-man turbo. The structure is better than I remember on Stars, where you had to finish top 3 to stay in the step system on step 1 (if I recall correctly). In the Tilt step 1's you stay in the system as long as you finish top 5 (1-2 win a step 2 ticket, 3-5 play step 1 again).

Well first try was a failure. Completely card dead and then bubbled when I shoved 76o on the Button and the BB called with QJo. Can't believe he made that call on the bubble. Oh well. These 3-minute blind levels are brutal.

Well first try was a failure. Completely card dead and then bubbled when I shoved 76o on the Button and the BB called with QJo. Can't believe he made that call on the bubble. Oh well. These 3-minute blind levels are brutal.
you might want to include stack sizes if you are going to complain about the call
Half his stack.Anyway, my second attempt was a success. On to Step 2!
and blind level. and other stack sizes. and total payouts. better yet, the feral cow converted HH. QJos could be a totally standard call. I'm not saying it was in this case but it's possible. You may want to familiarize yourself with standard calling/shoving ranges if you plan on stepping through the superturbos. Of course this may be your standard game and you're way ahead of me on the sng imc maths in supersturbos.
and blind level. and other stack sizes. and total payouts. better yet, the feral cow converted HH. QJos could be a totally standard call. I'm not saying it was in this case but it's possible. You may want to familiarize yourself with standard calling/shoving ranges if you plan on stepping through the superturbos. Of course this may be your standard game and you're way ahead of me on the sng imc maths in supersturbos.
The hand wasn't worth posting. The guy was playing way looser than he should have been in a step satty from the beginning. I was the shortie at the table and losing that hand to me would have completely changed the bubble situation. It was a terrible call on the bubble of a satty where the top 5 get a ticket to play again, and the rest get nothing.

Here's the actual hand:Full Tilt No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 150/300 Blinds (6 handed) - Full-Tilt Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.comBB (t2255)UTG (t2740)MP (t2165)CO (t2880)Hero (Button) (t1100)SB (t2360)Hero's M: 2.44Preflop: Hero is Button with 7diamond.gif, 6club.gif3 folds, Hero bets t1100 (All-In), 1 fold, BB calls t800Flop: (t2350) 8diamond.gif, 2spade.gif, 2club.gif(2 players, 1 all-in)Turn: (t2350) Qdiamond.gif(2 players, 1 all-in)River: (t2350) 5diamond.gif(2 players, 1 all-in)Total pot: t2350Results:Hero had 7diamond.gif, 6club.gif (one pair, twos).BB had Qclub.gif, Jspade.gif (two pair, Queens and twos).Outcome: BB won t2350

yep, and if he's playing too loose he's the one most likely to call you when it's his BB. maybe wait for K3+ or your BB to get it all in?also this is the official hand converter for pretty much any poker forum, unofficially of course. http://www.feralcowpoker.com/converter.phpWin some more steps and keep moving up.

2:1, i call too fwiw.
Pot odds aren't a good enough reason to make the call in a satty structure like this. If he lets me have it, I'm still the shortie and he's still sitting middle of the pack about to get the best positioning at the table. If he calls and loses, he and I basically switch places and he becomes the shortie. I'm not sure the risk is worth the potential reward. But I'll admit the call isn't as stupid as I indicated in my initial reaction.Anyway, haven't had a chance to play step 2 yet but I might use some FTPs to buy another couple of tickets. Couldn't hurt to have a few irons in the fire.
yep, and if he's playing too loose he's the one most likely to call you when it's his BB. maybe wait for K3+ or your BB to get it all in?
I had been so card dead during the recent orbit that 76o was the best hand I had seen in a while. No exaggeration, I was dealt 32o two hands in a row just prior to this. My desperation might have made me a bit trigger happy when a hand with some value came my way.
Pot odds aren't a good enough reason to make the call in a satty structure like this. If he lets me have it, I'm still the shortie and he's still sitting middle of the pack about to get the best positioning at the table. If he calls and loses, he and I basically switch places and he becomes the shortie. I'm not sure the risk is worth the potential reward. But I'll admit the call isn't as stupid as I indicated in my initial reaction.
Pot odds make the call profitable, especially knowing that your stack size has to be shoving extremely wide. He shouldn't be putting you on a premium range here.
Currently at step 4.Steps 1 and 2 played 18 man and step 3 was 9 man.GL everyone!
GL on step 4. Have you seen an increase in the quality of play on steps 3 and 4?Has anyone tried the 4-man HU knockouts? I was hoping to try one last night but nobody sat down so I played another 9-man turbo.