• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cardinals and Red Sox  

missed it by that much  

If you root for St. Louis and you're not from the immediate St. Louis metro area, you're a horrible person.

Are you reall "sad as fvck" though? I've never understood people feeling sad about people they don't know dying. Like literally hundred of kids in Africa have died since then, how about some sad as fvck emotions for people who never had a chance at life.

Get your priorities straight, Tim.

Are you reall "sad as fvck" though? I've never understood people feeling sad about people they don't know dying. Like literally hundred of kids in Africa have died since then, how about some sad as fvck emotions for people who never had a chance at life.

Get your priorities straight, Tim.

I know you're joking but it's sad because he was an idol to a lot of people. I never really saw him play in his prime because he was on the Padres, there was no interleague play, and the Padres were rarely in the playoffs. I also didn't have cable, to see him on TBS against the Braves. But I was really into baseball cards and stat sheets and everything and I remember poring over the stats on his cards and saving up my allowance to buy his rookie card form a local card shop (who put it on hold for me when I promised them I would buy it). The fact that I almost never got to see him play also made him sort of a legend to me.

Highest lifetime batting average of any player since Ted Williams.

I went back and bought all the baseball cards I ever wanted as a kid, since they're basically nothing now.

83 was a good year with Boggs, Sandberg and Gwynn RCs (Strawberry in the Topps Traded)

I went back and bought all the baseball cards I ever wanted as a kid, since they're basically nothing now.

83 was a good year with Boggs, Sandberg and Gwynn RCs (Strawberry in the Topps Traded)

Heh, I did the same when I was single. Spent about $100 and got all the cool cards I'd dreamed about as an 8-year old. Looked at them a few times, including my all-time favourite ugly as shit 91 Fleer and 87 Topps sets. After a year of collecting dust I gave them to a friend who was getting divorced and needing a non-violent hobby/distraction. Last I heard he still had them and was trying to collect all the Fleer (easy) and Topps (not easy) sets.

87 Topps isn't that ugly.

91 Fleer however, even in throwback mode I haven't even bothered collecting anything past 1989 since the the quantities are so immense, its probably cheaper to wipe your ass with 1990 Donruss Baseball cards than toilet paper. As a kid, after 1989 Upper Deck I saw the writing on the wall for the contemporary sports card market and shifted my focus to vintage (which, you'd think an adolescent aged kid wouldn't have that kind of crazy insightful wisdom, but I'm special like that).

Some of the most valuable lessons I ever learned in life, I learned growing up during sports card mania. I think my absolutely most fond memory as a kid was in 1990, the sports card market was at its absolute zenith, going into a card show that had hundreds (if not a thousand) tables, thousand and thousands of people... I started the day with $10 in my pocket, ended the day with a sharp 1968 Topps Mantle.

Of all the shit I learned trading baseball cards as a kid, knowing how to spot a pigeon from a mile off was probably the most valuable skill.

• Like 1
  • 4 weeks later...

Home Run Derby is my Super Bowl. My favorite sporting event and the first one at Target Field which is the shortest field in MLB.

On in a few.

Making posts on the backwater forums of FCP is like shouting into a Canyon.

Nothing. I can't bet on sporting events I intend to enjoy;

This rain delay and concomitant 'filler interviews' has probably created some sort of record for the most sports platitudes broadcast in the shortest period of time.

"Well, the strategy is to just go out there and do my best, at the end of the day to get the job done. Get out of my comfort zone and execute. As long as I bring all my abilities to the field today, find my momentum, I can get the job done for the fans".

Now imagine just how far towards the bottom of the barrel they are when they're giving airtime to that same interview with some retard in Spanish.

• Like 1

Jeter hasn't said an interesting thing in an interview in 20+ years. It's why he can fck every hottie in the world and he still has a sparkling image

Wainwright grooved that fastball to Jeter.

• 3 weeks later...

Pretty crazy trade deadline day, especially in Boston.

The Red Sox traded away:

Jon Lester

John Lackey

Jonny Gomes

Andrew Miller

Stephen Drew

and got:

Yoenis Cespedes

Joe Kelly

Allen Craig

Kelly Johnson

Eduardo Rodriguez (decent pitching prospect)

and a draft pick

And David Price to the Tigers? Didn't see that coming.

The Stephen Drew/Kelly Johnson trade (salary dump) is the first trade between the Sox and Yankees in 17 years.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

When baseball season is in full swing i take it for granted and argue the season is too long, but right now today i miss It. Its comforting, its the classic game. I need to show baseball more respect.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Sox are getting murdered tonight but off to a good start. Xander Bogaerts is off to a great start, Mookie Betts is playing really well (his batting average sucks but it's a tiny sample and he's been crushing the ball right at people), Hanley Ramirez is killing it, and Clay Buchholz pitched 7 shutout innings on opening day and then gave up 7 runs in the first inning tonight. Fuckin Buchholz.

Really hoping Blake Swihart gets called up soon and they're just holding him back a couple weeks in AAA because of the whole 'extra year of team control' thing like with Kris Bryant. He's the top catching prospect in baseball (strong on offense and defense), and our young defensive phenom Christian Vazquez went down with Tommy John surgery in March so Ryan Hanigan is our primary catcher at this point.

We have to figure out a way to get Rusney Castillo onto this team because we gave him $72 million and he's in AAA so he can get regular at bats, but he's very much ready to go and was great last September.

Also we signed 19-year-old Yoan Moncada for $31 million, who's also from Cuba. It's a long time before he plays in the majors but it's pretty awesome that we got him. Scouts have said he would have been a likely #1 overall draft pick or close to it, if he'd been eligible. And I think there's gonna be an international draft in the future so the Sox spent a lot of money on a gamble but it's because pretty soon you might not be able to negotiate with guys like that, you'll have to wait in line to draft them.

Also, how bout that postseason? The Giants are so boring, but it was still an amazing season for the Royals. The Wild Card game against the A's is one of the best games I've ever watched.