Random Baseball Observations

Fuck. Fuckity fuck. More than wanting Ellsbury back, I wanted him to go anywhere but the Yankees. I love the guy, now I have to root against him and hope he's a huge bust. I'm not at all surprised, I had a fear all offseason that he would go there.

EDIT: 7/153. So, I'm glad we didn't give him that, but still. The Yankees? THE YANKEES?!

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cardinals and Red Sox  

missed it by that much  

If you root for St. Louis and you're not from the immediate St. Louis metro area, you're a horrible person.

I will still be surprised if the Yankees don't also sign Cano.

The upside of the Ellsbury deal for Sox fans is that it immediately renews our stale rivalry with the Yankees. I'm sure you guys are all very excited about that.

Like I said, I know you guys love nothing more than everybody going on and on about the Sox-Yankees rivalry. But after what happened in '03/'04, it really had gotten stale because it had reached its apex. Not that nobody cared or was excited, but it could never be that exciting again.

In other news, the Beltran rumor of KC that SA mentioned would be great. I think everybody not in the AL Central wants to see KC make the playoffs, and it would be awesome if he was part of it.

I'm not a baseball fan. I don't watch baseball, except in the playoffs, and I only generally know how a team is doing based on Sportscenter and the like.

I know that the Royals had a good year, but they still fell just short. I will generally perk my ears when White Sox or Twins news comes on, because I always lived so close to both teams. (I was a Cards/W Sox fan growing up (Bobby Thigpen/Ozzie Smith era)

With my extremely limited overall knowledge of baseball, I am shocked that a 39 year old pitcher, who has been in a starting rotation for 9 full seasons on multiple teams in the MLB could have totally escaped my radar.

I've never heard of Joe Nathan, and that dude is going to bring in 20 million dollars for pitching in like 70 games for two years.

I think baseball salaries are obcene. Are MLB teams actually making enough bank to cover salaries? What is the overall financial health of these owners?

Illitch the owner if the Tigers (and Red Wings and a host of other lucrative holdings and personal $1.5B net worth) is stupid rich and he has never had an issue spending money to try and win championships. He did it with the Wings before they went to a cap. Now he's trying to get the Tigers there.

Yankees sign Beltran 3/45

Red Sox sign Napoli 2/32*

Mets sign Granderson 4/60

Mariners sign Cano 30/800

Fun day.

*Cherington presumably used his Jedi powers on that one.

So, I'm not sure how much we trust WAR as a full explanation of how valuable a player is. But anyway, Cano has a career fWAR of 37.1. Pedroia's is 34.4, but in about 350 fewer games, so he has actually been significantly more valuable over his career according to fWAR.

Pedroia did have a mediocre season this year (mediocre for him - he still posted a 3.5 fWAR), but he also tore a ligament in his thumb on opening day and opted to wait until the offseason to have surgery. He said after the season that he felt it affected his power. He played in 160 games with that torn ligament. Basically what I'm getting at is that I want to have his babies.

looking at fan graphs and it appears that dusty is the far superior defender. which is probably obvious to red sox fans (and not me because i don't ever watch dusty play), but all i ever hear is how good cano is at second (from espn), but his numbers aren't anything worthy of that praise.

i was only confused because i assumed it would be the opposite. i guess i owe dusty an apology.

Well I even agreed with you that Cano is superior, and I do watch Pedey every day. I don't watch Cano every day though obviously.

Cano: 10/240

Pedroia: 8/110

lol

So is Cano the first star Yankees player in their history to leave the team in his prime?

Someone posted on twitter that, before Cano, the biggest contract anyone had ever gotten when their previous team was the Yankees was Swisher. Don't remember, but his number was $55M-$70M.