• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cardinals and Red Sox  

missed it by that much  

If you root for St. Louis and you're not from the immediate St. Louis metro area, you're a horrible person.

If you had to rank World Series Contenders using the "I Don't Want My Team to Play Them in a Playoff Series" scale, what would your list look like?

1. Detroit

2. Boston

3. LA Dodgers

4. Texas

5. Tampa Bay

6. Atlanta

Well, as Jays fan, if we were in the playoffs, I guess Tampa would be #1, since we can't beat them, but as more of a rhetorical question, I'd rank them as above.

I have an email in to White Sox PR, trying to see how I might go about getting footage of that Niekro game.

I just can't imagine a game with 24 ephi, what the hitting complexion must've looked like.

Sure, he made a HOF career out of the highly effective application of garbage but TWO DOZEN of them on one game and only 6 hits in total? I guess they were just letting them pass?

Play by play doesn't say when ephi were thrown

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CHA/CHA198607090.shtml

And apparently, Niekro had a complete game.

John Rocker, presumably in an attempt to get fired from the various things he does these days, did an AMA on reddit today. If you think he's changed, all you have to do is read one response from him to realize that, if anything, he's more of an ******* today. Lots of "your mom" jokes. It was so ridiculous that it's being reported in the press now.

http://www.reddit.com/r/mlb/comments/1jtko4/i_am_john_rocker_former_mlb_pitcher_here_to_take/

Mike Trout > Miguel Cabrera for second year in a row.

Discuss?

I think it's tough to argue that Miggy hasn't been the best hitter in baseball this year.

Mike Trout is probably the best offensive player in baseball.

I think Braun over Kemp in 2011 is worse than Miggy over Trout in 2012.

Trout did deserve the MVP last year, and probably will this year two, but I think it was/is close in both cases, and hardly a robbery or injustice. Miggy has had two really incredible seasons as well.

Mike Trout should win the MVP every year because he is a mutant capable of breaking baseball. You understand I mean "the game of baseball." Cabrera is a great baseball player, and one of the most exciting hitters of his generation, but Mike Trout is in a different league. Mike Trout is 22. That is unfair.

God, if that Angels team hadn't handed out those retarded contracts...

I think Trout/Cabrera is closer than people think. I have a few small problems with straight WAR based comparisons, especially when defense plays a huge part. Also, I think there are simply more high-leverage spots on offense than defense, and I'm yet to be convinced that's accounted for appropriately in WAR.

That being said, yeah, Trout is very likely the most valuable commodity in the history of baseball

God, if that Angels team hadn't handed out those retarded contracts...

Albert Pujols is due to make $30m in 2021.

I'm not sure the Angels are going to be hurting for money though. Didn't they sign some huge multi-billion dollar TV deal?

Cabrera is in his athletic prime.

Trout is one of those players who is so good he's impossible to 'rate', yet still manages to be overrated, probably because he's white.

I prefer to compare careers. The age difference precludes doing that in real time but if I had to bet on who comes out the winner in that race once the final tally is in, I would bet on Trout, barring injury or apathy.

I think Braun over Kemp in 2011 is worse than Miggy over Trout in 2012.

If you take down the Triple ****ing Crown, you're going to win the MVP.

I'm totally cool with that.

Sabermetrics are comically overrated for anything but finding undervalued marginal talent or old cigar-butts with a few good puffs left.

Accomplish one of the greatest single season feats in the game = NOT the MVP because of some gookish, post-season theoretical interpertation of figures?

I believe in quantifiables, but I also believe that Billy Beane makes for a better movie than he does anything else, ironically enough, as demonstrated by the very statistics his ilk lives and dies by.