• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cardinals and Red Sox  

missed it by that much  

If you root for St. Louis and you're not from the immediate St. Louis metro area, you're a horrible person.

it's almost a little annoying to me. conversation at work about the team and someone told me how smart it was to bat moustakas second. i had to refrain from murdering them.

• 2 weeks later...

The Royals are gonna be good this year. They are already at +38, best in the majors.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Mike Trout will end his career as the second best player ever.

So, behind only Babe Ruth? I'm assuming we all agree that Ruth is the best all-around player ever. If you have somebody other than Ruth though I'd love to explain why you're wrong.

But it's also really motherfucking hard to be a better all-around player than Willie Mays over a lengthy career. Do we all have Willie Mays 2nd? It has to be him or Barry Bonds and it's a little bit easy to argue against Bonds. Ted Williams is the 2nd best hitter ever (behind Ruth...although Williams can also make an argument for #1), but he wasn't great at anything other than hitting.

I mean, Trout just turned 24 and looks like a dead lock for the HOF, which is insane. I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just goddam hard to put together a better career than Willie Mays.

Who are your current 1-2?

So, behind only Babe Ruth? I'm assuming we all agree that Ruth is the best all-around player ever. If you have somebody other than Ruth though I'd love to explain why you're wrong.

But it's also really motherfucking hard to be a better all-around player than Willie Mays over a lengthy career. Do we all have Willie Mays 2nd? It has to be him or Barry Bonds and it's a little bit easy to argue against Bonds. Ted Williams is the 2nd best hitter ever (behind Ruth...although Williams can also make an argument for #1), but he wasn't great at anything other than hitting.

I mean, Trout just turned 24 and looks like a dead lock for the HOF, which is insane. I'm not saying you're wrong, it's just goddam hard to put together a better career than Willie Mays.

Who are your current 1-2?

Ted Williams is most likely the third best hitter ever, (way) behind Ruth and behind Bonds.

I believe FG and BR have Cobb as significantly better offensively than Mays with very comparable overall numbers (for third overall, obviously, with Bonds comfortably ahead of both). Obviously Mays does and should get a huge bump for defense and position, but given the significant error bars around measuing pre-war defense (especially relative to measuring offense and base-running), I don't think you can say with any certainty that Mays was better than Cobb, except as a human being.

It still boggles my mind that FG has Joe Morgan as 21st ALL-TIME.

I'm headed to the Cards-Cubs game tomorrow. I'm an A's fan, but since I live in Chicago, I have to root for the Cubbies... right?