• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cardinals and Red Sox  

missed it by that much  

If you root for St. Louis and you're not from the immediate St. Louis metro area, you're a horrible person.

1. (8) Bryce Harper OF 2. (13) Joey Votto 1B 3. (28) Jason Kipnis 2B 4. (33) Chris Sale SP 5. (48) Allen Craig 1B,OF 6. (53) David Ortiz 1B 7. (68) Alex Gordon OF 8. (73) Masahiro Tanaka SP 9. (88) Julio Teherán SP 10. (93) Everth Cabrera SS 11. (108) Anthony Rizzo 1B 12. (113) Koji Uehara RP 13. (128) Hiroki Kuroda SP 14. (133) C.J. Wilson SP 15. (148) Ervin Santana SP 16. (153) Desmond Jennings OF 17. (168) Chase Headley 3B 18. (173) Addison Reed RP 19. (188) Jason Castro C 20. (193) Travis Wood SP 21. (208) Bartolo Colón SP 22. (213) Yordano Ventura SP 23. (228) Carlos Martínez RP 24. (233) Nick Swisher 1B,OF

there it is. i couldn't believe i didn't get carlos santana. really pissed me off. only pick i don't like is the alex gordon pick. should have gone tanaka there, then tehran, then matt moore. but i'll just need to make a trade for another SP.

bogaerts-slo-mo.gif?w=500&h=280

I'm basically expecting him to be the next Nomar, and I don't think I'm alone. Definitely not a fair expectation, but he's just so awesome.

Nomar, incidentally, hit .306 his rookie year with 209 hits and 30 hr and 11 triples.

SA, I like your draft. Everth Cabrera and Jason Castro are nice potential value picks and good backup plans if oyu miss out on one of the elite guys at SS and C. I've been taking Santana in all my pools this year, but if I didn't get him, I would have been looking at Lucroy, Castro, or Perez in the later rounds. Everth Cabrera was a top4 SS before the PED suspension last year. He's kind of a forgotten man now in fantasy, but he would be going a whole lot higher than the 10th round if he'd never gotten suspended last year.

Hey thanks. I liked it too. I keeo getting trade offers for Ventura, which is comical considering im a royals fan and getting him so late is huge value considering his potential. Lets hope he is the shelby of this year.

When i get home ill post my other draft, which was highlighted by bryce harper going one pick before mine in the THIRD ROUND.

Stanton Island

Round Pick Player Position 1. (6) Andrew McCutchen OF 2. (15) Ryan Braun OF 3. (26) Giancarlo Stanton OF 4. (35) Buster Posey C,1B 5. (46) David Ortiz 1B 6. (55) Gio González SP 7. (66) Matt Cain SP 8. (75) Julio Teherán SP 9. (86) Greg Holland RP 10. (95) Masahiro Tanaka SP 11. (106) Anthony Rizzo 1B 12. (115) Jeff Samardzija SP 13. (126) Pablo Sandoval 3B 14. (135) Clay Buchholz SP 15. (146) Ervin Santana SP 16. (155) Yovani Gallardo SP 17. (166) Xander Bogaerts 3B,SS 18. (175) Joakim Soria RP 19. (186) Daniel Murphy 1B,2B 20. (195) Bartolo Colón SP 21. (206) Nick Swisher 1B,OF 22. (215) Wade Miley SP 23. (226) B.J. Upton OF 24. (235) Chase Utley 2B

Cabrera contract. Horrible, amirite? Nothing like paying a guy that is prone to get heavy, ex alcoholic and maybe even a guy that might not be the crazy work ethic guy (that part may be unfair, he can straight up mash) 30 million when he's 40, which will be his 21st season in the bigs. When will teams learn? I mean, seriously. If you have to give him that money, why not front load it so when he's not producing in 8 (5) years, he won't be a drain on the payroll

It could be spreading it out is less expensive. There is luxury tax in MLB, and paying 37 over 8 or w/e could cost more in penalty.

I guess if you want elite production, that's the price to pay but I think production at first is so replaceable that its an il advised move. The Arod Texas contract made sense because he was entering (not exiting) his prime at a position that historically had terrible hitters playing it. That made him extremely valuable. His value over a league average ss was huge. I don't understand giving titanic contracts to any first base man. Signing guys like Mig and Puljos to mega deals just seems so stupid. Maybe I'm looking at this like a fantasy owner and there's some value overpaying for WAR if you can afford it that I don't understand but I think the tigers will regret this.

I bet teams like the Yankees are so pissed off by this contract because it will effect the market for elite hitters. And teams like the Rays are laughing because they know a bunch of bad contracts are coming.

It's definitely more than a WAR/$ consideration, because he sells tickets and merchandise and brings tv viewers, and is likely a factor in ESPN deciding which games to air nationally, etc. It also makes it highly likely that he'll maintain an ambassadorial relationship with the team after he retires.

Even at the end of the contract when he's no longer producing like he used to he will likely be approaching and passing some major career milestones, and people love to watch that and count down to it. Bill James' fun little toy gives Cabrera a 68% chance to reach 3000 hits, 57% chance to reach 2000 rbi, and a 56% chance to reach 600 hr, with milestones all along the way.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/stats/billjames

I'm not saying it's a good deal though.

It's definitely more than a WAR/$ consideration, because he sells tickets and merchandise and brings tv viewers, and is likely a factor in ESPN deciding which games to air nationally, etc. It also makes it highly likely that he'll maintain an ambassadorial relationship with the team after he retires.

You know what else sells tickets, merchandise and tv viewers? Having a good team, year in and year out. I question how much value Miggy will bring, and I certainly don't think it's worth 120 million more than what would have been a good contract for him (for the team). If you're building a team, by meta considerations, instead of what gives your team the best chance to win, you're doing it wrong.

I"m not saying this deal makes sense or that they won't regret it, I'm just saying there are other considerations especially when the player is more than just really really good, but is actually an all-time great. Their owner Mike Ilitch is also 84 years old and may be more interested in winning for the next 5 years than he is about the 5 years after than when he may not be around, although that may be unfair speculation.

On a totally unrelated note, this might be the biggest shitshow I've ever seen during a game. Debatable home run call is overturned by umps, there are furious arguments from both teams (Don Zimmer has a conniption), ejections, and then eventually the two teams fucking fight each other. Cubs/Reds 1984. Fight starts around the 20 minute mark but there's lots of good stuff before then. Cubs manager Jim Frey is literally dragged off the field around the 11 minute mark, but he soon returns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAhzFOBKrE8

Their owner Mike Ilitch is also 84 years old and may be more interested in winning for the next 5 years than he is about the 5 years after than when he may not be around, although that may be unfair speculation.

I don't think that's unfair at all. He's a big underdog to living till the end of that contract. What does he care what miggy's paid when he's dead.

I don't think that's unfair at all. He's a big underdog to living till the end of that contract. What does he care what miggy's paid when he's dead.

Well he wouldn't want his legacy to be that he crippled the team, and I'm sure he would want the team to be as successful as possible whether he's around or not. He obviously wants to see them win very soon, I'm just not sure anyone can say if that meaningfully affected his decision or if he would have done the same thing if he was 50.

Interesting week for the Tigers, with Dombrowski's unusual official statement that Scherzer had rejected their extension offer, and then this other huge extension actually getting done.