Random Baseball Observations

lool that last one reminds me of an old Blue Jays VHS I had. It showed some swings from a game where the Jays were up 9-0 or something in the bottom of the 5th, and it was full-out blizzarding, with two inches of snow on the field, and the Jays were trying to make their outs as fast as possible to get the game official. Not surprisingly, the pitcher's location was not precise...since there was goddamn snow on the ball, and the Jays were just wildly swinging. That, combined with 1985 colour commentary, was priceless.

You're either making this up or remembering some important details wrong.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cardinals and Red Sox  

missed it by that much  

If you root for St. Louis and you're not from the immediate St. Louis metro area, you're a horrible person.

Going into to the game tonight, I think Lestser is great, the man can deal gas. But in World Series games, you need more than that, you don't just need a thrower, you need a guy who can pitch-throw, and that's wainwright. Guy's a horse.

• Like 1

You're either making this up or remembering some important details wrong.

Both the score and year are almost certainly wrong. They were approximations, which I should have stated, but I couldn't have imagined someone would want to b-ref the game...

Going into to the game tonight, I think Lestser is great, the man can deal gas. But in World Series games, you need more than that, you don't just need a thrower, you need a guy who can pitch-throw, and that's wainwright. Guy's a horse.

Cardinals are a team full of werewolves and you need that in a late October series.

• Like 3

Both the score and year are almost certainly wrong. They were approximations, which I should have stated, but I couldn't have imagined someone would want to b-ref the game...

Sure, but more importantly, the inning is wrong. 4.5 innings is an official game if the home team is ahead.

Sure, but more importantly, the inning is wrong. 4.5 innings is an official game if the home team is ahead.

Fair enough, so maybe it was the bottom of the 4th or top of the 5th. Or I made the whole thing up. I just wanted attention!

Pretty obvious interference call. Nothing Middlebrooks could do to get out of the way either. Awful decision by Salty to throw that ball. Also some strange moves from Farrell, like letting Workman bat, not getting Napoli an at bat, and not walking Jay in the 9th. Not getting Napoli in there is probably the most questionable (instead we got Gomes and goddam Carp).

I was watching Workman up there and just laughing my ass off. What the hell was Farrell thinking?

And the call is obstruction. Everybody gets that wrong, for some reason, even the TV and radio guys for the first half hour after the game. Interference is when the baserunner interferes with the fielding team, whereas obstruction is the opposite.

The bottom line is, when Salty threw that ball into leftfield the game was obviously over. If the runner hadn't tripped over Middlebrooks there wouldn't have even been a play at the plate.

Such a shame because it wasted an outstanding play by Pedroia to get the out at home.

It's also a goddam shame that Farrell used Doubront for 2 innings last night cuz we've got Glassarm Buchholz going tonight, but I'm not that mad at him for that - gotta try to win every game and Doubront gave us an opportunity last night.

I am kind of mad at him for continuing to start Stephen Drew. I don't really understand using Drew for the first 6 or 7 innings and then going to Middlebrooks as a pinch hitter. Normal strategy would suggest he goes with the better bat at the start of the game and then puts a defensive replacement in if he's got a lead to protect. Drew is again starting tonight, but at least the Johnny Gomes experiment is over. And Salty is taking a seat too.

EDIT: Oh, Gomes is in there cuz Victorino is hurt. As long as Nava is in there too, I'm fine.

but at least the Johnny Gomes experiment is over.

Haha. I love that you still have to own this tonight.

Haha. I love that you still have to own this tonight.

Well yeah, he had the biggest hit of the night and his biggest hit as a Red Sox. I think we all know from poker though that results-based thinking is stupid, and if Victorino is back tomorrow I hope Nava gets the start over Gomes again.

Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but love for Gomes. But I hated seeing Nava out of the lineup indefinitely in favor of Gomes (especially since Gomes was ice cold), and I'd still rather have Nava in there unless a lefty is pitching, and the Cardinals have no lefty starters. Nava is also a better fielder. There was one fairly routine fly tonight that Gomes nearly turned into a hit because he broke back on it and had to sprint in and slide to catch it.

Anyway, what a ridiculous way for the game to end, again. The best part was that it made Tim McCarver look like an idiot, cuz he was going on and on about how terrible it was for Napoli to be holding the runner on. He's apparently never heard of a double play, cuz most of his rant came when there was only 1 out. I certainly was surprised that Nap was still holding him on with 2 outs, but clearly there was a reason.

Baseball, amirite?

If the Cards didn't have the super gimp running the bases, Salty wouldn't have even thought about making the play at 3rd. And probably a non-gimp doesn't trip all over himself trying to get home. Also: that play by Pedroia was incredible.

Gomes/Nava is a non-issue again tonight, with Victorino still hurt. Would have been interesting to see who Farrell went with. Probably Gomes after last night, which I wouldn't have hated, but Nava really hits righties way better than Gomes, and Gomes in turn hits lefties way better than Nava. .

Jonny Gomes career splits:

.225/.310/.423 vs righties

.277/.377/.502 vs lefties

Daniel Nava career splits:

.292/.390/.443 vs righties

.223/.307/.328 vs lefties