• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cardinals and Red Sox  

missed it by that much  

If you root for St. Louis and you're not from the immediate St. Louis metro area, you're a horrible person.

I see Tigers -105, Red Sox -115.

I'm not sure why Timmy is deciding that only now is it a series. It's felt like a series the whole time to me.

After Papi's grand slam game I said something like 'Ok now we've got a series' and Nick said something like 'Fuck everything, Sox in 5,' and I don't blame him after a loss like that. So I was sort of referencing that.

Anyway, I'm fucking pumped for tonight's game.

The Sox have been in the ALCS 5 times since 1999, not counting this year, and we've been down 3 games to 1 every single time. Having 2 wins at this point almost feels like a bonus.

After Papi's grand slam game I said something like 'Ok now we've got a series' and Nick said something like 'Fuck everything, Sox in 5,' and I don't blame him after a loss like that. So I was sort of referencing that.

Anyway, I'm fucking pumped for tonight's game.

The Sox have been in the ALCS 5 times since 1999, not counting this year, and we've been down 3 games to 1 every single time. Having 2 wins at this point almost feels like a bonus.

Don't ever listen to anything Nick says as it relates to sports or sports gambling. He still owes Napa like $150.

Well it turns out I was wrong, the Sox were tied 2-2 in the '03 ALCS, which I overlooked because fuck everything about the 2003 ALCS.

Anyway, Xander Bogaerts is starting at 3b tonight. He only has 54 ML plate appearances, and just turned 21, but he had a killer at-bat in game 4 vs TB, pinch-hitting in the 7th and drawing a walk after falling behind 1-2, and then scoring the tying run a few minutes later.

Not sure what point you're trying to make. He had a great at bat the other night.

In the context of his very young career and inexperience it was impressive, and I hope he impresses again tonight.

On last night's Parks and Recreation, Ben and Ron went to a law firm. It was called "Babip, Pecota, Vorp and Eckstein," which is one of the best jokes in the history of the world.

Never change, Ken Tremendous. Never change.

• Like 1

That catch by Iglesias was incredible. Just incredible. The Detroit radio call is worth hearing:

http://wapc.mlb.com/...layer_id=578428

Dickerson, the Tigers' play-by-play man ("Iglesias on the run he won't get there OH HE DOES OH HO IH-HIN-CREH-DIBLE JOSE IGLESIAS OPTICAL ILLUSION!") is one of the best radio men in the business. He's smart (Fangraphs smart), enthusiastic, has a knack for big calls, but he's really great about taking the straight up, call it simple, Harwell approach. For years he served as Harwell's apprentice, calling three innings a game, until Harwell left. He doesn't have any goofy signature calls or idiosyncrasies, and he's really good about giving credit to the opposition as well as acknowledging things like bad calls in the Tigers' favor. Just a wonderful announcer.

And when he talks about things like defensive efficiency (CODENAME: UZR), strikeout to walk ratio (CODENAME: FIP), pitcher friendly ballparks (CODENAME: PARK EFFECTS), and sample size (CODENAME: REGRESSION), my nipples get hard. He uses advanced stats on the sly like nobody's business. It's brilliant. He gets his retard partner to agree with DIPS theory and shit without him even knowing. He'll never use a single scary acronym or science word during a broadcast, even though he's talking about WAR, UZR, positional value, DIPS, variance, and BABIP. "Player X, despite his elevated ERA, has been very tough all year. Doesn't it seem like, Jim, that for whatever reason, he's given up hits in bunches, even in otherwise dominating starts? You have to figure a guy who averages almost ten strikeouts and less than two walks per nine will eventually get the results you expect. A lot of balls have found holes, and there's no tangible reason for that to continue, is there?" (Retard Partner confirms DIPS theory.)

Anyway, I'm glad you liked the call.

victorino signing working out.

Sports Illustrated overwhelmingly predicted him to be the worst free agent signing of the season. Turns out he had the best season of his life (best WAR at least).

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/mlb/news/20130325/mlb-preview-staff-predictions/

lool that last one reminds me of an old Blue Jays VHS I had. It showed some swings from a game where the Jays were up 9-0 or something in the bottom of the 5th, and it was full-out blizzarding, with two inches of snow on the field, and the Jays were trying to make their outs as fast as possible to get the game official. Not surprisingly, the pitcher's location was not precise...since there was goddamn snow on the ball, and the Jays were just wildly swinging. That, combined with 1985 colour commentary, was priceless.