• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Cardinals and Red Sox  

missed it by that much  

If you root for St. Louis and you're not from the immediate St. Louis metro area, you're a horrible person.

Have you read The Book? EDIT: Mitchell Litchman, the guy who wrote that article you linked at Fangraphs, helped co-write it with Tom Tango
Until Theraflu mentioned it recently, I hadn't even heard of it. Or, at least, I hadn't heard of it since I forgot having heard of it. But I have seen it referenced all over the place since I started looking into this sacrifice bunt question this morning.
Until Theraflu mentioned it recently, I hadn't even heard of it. Or, at least, I hadn't heard of it since I forgot having heard of it. But I have seen it referenced all over the place since I started looking into this sacrifice bunt question this morning.
It's a great read.There's an entire chapter on sacrificing. My copies are at my parents' house, but you should buy it and read it. Or give me your address and I will ship you a copy.
Game 6 postponed due to rain.How long until all stadiums are required to have retractable roofs?This puts Derek Holland in play for a game 7 start. Harrison was better during the year, but Holland was obviously much, much better in their respective starts this series. Who would you go with?Edit: Ron Washington says he would stick with Harrison if it came to that.
Game 6 postponed due to rain.How long until all stadiums are required to have retractable roofs?This puts Derek Holland in play for a game 7 start. Harrison was better during the year, but Holland was obviously much, much better in their respective starts this series. Who would you go with?Edit: Ron Washington says he would stick with Harrison if it came to that.
Retractable will never be a requirement, they can't force teams to build new stadiums just because they don't have roofs on them. Like, Minnesota just built one with no roof, and that's in freakin' Minnesota. I would go with Holland, even though it's slim that he's anywhere near as dominant this time around. I like Harrison as a #3 during the season, but the Cardinals have only scored 6 runs in games not started by Harrison, and 16 in the game he did start. I think you give Holland the chance to see what he can recreate, and then go to Feldman if it doesn't work out.The more interesting thing to me is that Buster tweeted he feels like TLR will go with Westbrook for a game 7 start. Not based off of any real information, but just a hunch. That would be pretty crazy, because Jake Westbrook isn't very good. I don't know what the right decision would be, but it probably isn't Carpenter, and Lohse also sucks. Tough decision. Also: Great fucking series. Cane, how can you watch the end of one game, call in "scintillating," and then say you have no interest in the follow-up game or two?
I'm surprised we're not seeing Holland/Carpenter in Game 7. But I think we've proven that Washington and LaRussa are rarely going to make the best of a difficult 'percentage' decision...which this may or may not be.I just hope both managers tell Holland and Carpenter (and Lohse, and anyone else with an arm) to get ready, stay warm, and be ready to pitch a few innings.I haven't been very interested in the playoffs, but I plan on watching the last couple games.

The only way Napoli was coming out of this game is if he had to be carted off the field. That looked painful though.I'm rooting pretty hard for the Rangers tonight, partially because I have plans tomorrow night that wouldn't involve watching game 7.

Interesting stuff.In fact, this data suggests only that you have improved your situation if you succeed at sacrificing.
86% of the time by my crazy gorilla math.

Wow. That was a catchable ball for Nelson Cruz - it would have been a great play but it could have been made. I dunno if he misjudged it or thought the wall was closer than it was, but either way: extra innings.Even if Freese had struck out there (as I was very strongly hoping he would) and hadn't sent it to extras, I think this has been the most entertaining game of the Series so far.

one of the best games I've seen all year. I wish the Cardinals would just die already, but I can't help but smile every time they tie it up after being down to their last strike.

Wow. That was a catchable ball for Nelson Cruz - it would have been a great play but it could have been made. I dunno if he misjudged it or thought the wall was closer than it was, but either way: extra innings.Even if Freese had struck out there (as I was very strongly hoping he would) and hadn't sent it to extras, I think this has been the most entertaining game of the Series so far.
I really don't see that as a catchable ball. Well, not catchable for Nelson Cruz, ever. He didn't need to miss it by 6 feet, and he could've held Freese at second, but I've argued with a few people today that he never gets to that ball.
That was one of the most amazing games I have ever seen. I hate Tony "The Genius" Larussa, but I'm pulling for the Cardinals, now. That ball Freise hit was annihilated.
I've decided that I prefer the annoying "Genius" meme than a George Bush-supported team winning. The fact that Larussa has done more to lose than win games this series helps.Might be the most exciting World Series game I've seen since 1993 - can't wait for tonight!
That was one of the most amazing games I have ever seen. I hate Tony "The Genius" Larussa, but I'm pulling for the Cardinals, now.
Concur wholeheartedly. Incredible. Amazing. Fucking sports, amirite?But I had a different reaction than you; I'm rooting for the Rangers even more now. To be one strike away two times and lose...I can't imagine how bad that must feel. If the Cardinals end up losing, they'll still have the memories of that game 6. It doesn't replace a championship, but it's something. If the Rangers lose, that's just pure devastation.
Wow. That was a catchable ball for Nelson Cruz - it would have been a great play but it could have been made. I dunno if he misjudged it or thought the wall was closer than it was, but either way: extra innings.
He sort of drifted towards the wall instead of just running full speed. You have to either sell out and just go for it or just play the carom and hope to hold the runner at 3rd. You can't half-ass it like that.

Probably because I'm a masochist, I have a modest position on the Rangers tonight.I hit the Cardinals when they opened last night, because (a) I decided to gamble that Carpenter would start (and that this would affect the number) and (b) I decided to gamble that the books would grossly underestimate the power of the public's perception of "momentum."When I woke up this morning, the line had moved enough such that I could buy-back my entire position and show a profit, but the new line seemed way out of whack, and I liked the Rangers to begin with, so I hit it hard enough to end up with a pretty solid position on the Rangers, now. I might sell it back, but probably not. This will be painful.

was watching the game at Pujols 5 / Westport plaza and it was pretty intense several different times last night. Random guys I didnt know insisted I double high five them , and I did. When it was finally over it was like a bomb went off, chaos times 10. I think some of the women were scared of being hurt with all the happiness. David Freese probably doesnt pay for squat the rest of the year.

I fell asleep in the 7th inning some how.Got woke up by something just as freese was coming up to bat.I wish i would of watched the hole thing

was watching the game at Pujols 5 / Westport plaza and it was pretty intense several different times last night. Random guys I didnt know insisted I double high five them , and I did. When it was finally over it was like a bomb went off, chaos times 10. I think some of the women were scared of being hurt with all the happiness. David Freese probably doesnt pay for squat the rest of the year. his life.
especially alcohol