Official 2010 Playoff Trash Talking Thread

DM, I'm generally surprised to see you fall to serge's level. I understand your frustration but when people stoop to conspiracy theory's they are grasping at straws IMO. If I was you I'd be putting some thought into how my team just let MAF get his 1st career shutout and only his 3rd shutout overall since March 25th, 2009.

• Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

DM, I'm generally surprised to see you fall to serge's level. I understand your frustration but when people stoop to conspiracy theory's they are grasping at straws IMO. If I was you I'd be putting some thought into how my team just let MAF get his 1st career shutout and only his 3rd shutout overall since March 25th, 2009.
he didnt exactly get peppered with shots..he made a couple of good saves..thats all

Hint:when there is a sizeable skill difference between two teams, the penalty distribution is usually skewed toward the less skilled team.

he didnt exactly get peppered with shots..he made a couple of good saves..thats all
Exactly my point.

Are you guys seriously claiming that Crosby didn't deserve a penalty for breaking his stick on the post? Or that he wasn't also holding Gill? Or that he didn't deserve a penalty at the end of the second period?

I enjoy this board during the playoffs when passionate fans get riled up and the fans of the team that is winning act as if they never have complained about the refs or anything else for that matter when their team is down.Oh and just in case...I have not said one word about my thoughts on the Wings/Sharks series and I won't. Well I will, how about Wings players stop giving odd man rushes when the game is tied and there is either little time on the clock or you're in OT.

^ I'm not. You can micro-analyze any game and come up with dozens of potential missed calls or bad calls. The whole referee bias argument, however, is lame and reeks of excuses to me. You guys are starting to sound like Canucks fans. Believe it or not, everybody is not out to get the poor little Habs.

That's a penalty in the first period maybe, but not in a tied playoff game with 3 minutes left.
I hate this line of thinking.

Not once did I insinuate that Pittsburgh wasn't more talented. And Montreal definitely needs to generate more offense. They did get some good scoring chances last night and Fleury made some great saves and deserved the shutout. Unfortunately, Montreal was down 1-0 on a powerplay goal that was scored on a questionable call AND two of the players responsible for the goal should have been in the penalty box. The talant discrepency between the Habs and the Penguins doesn't refute the fact that Crosby gets away with a shitload.

^ I'm not. You can micro-analyze any game and come up with dozens of potential missed calls or bad calls. The whole referee bias argument, however, is lame and reeks of excuses to me. You guys are starting to sound like Canucks fans. Believe it or not, everybody is not out to get the poor little Habs.
I don't think anyone is saying that the league is going after the Habs. I think people are saying more that they believe that Crosby gets the benefit of the doubt game in and game out. But what superstar really gets any different treatment in other leagues. Kobe and LeBron never get called as well. Just the nature of the game business.
FWIW, by argument is not a referree bias..but a Crosby bias by the whole NHL.
That is not a surprising point of view from someone who likes the NBA.
Because the NBA calls it the same way at the end of the game as the beginning?What's the reason for calling a penalty? To prevent a player from gaining an unfair advantage. Why should a player be allowed to gain an unfair advantage at the end of the game?
Because the NBA calls it the same way at the end of the game as the beginning?What's the reason for calling a penalty? To prevent a player from gaining an unfair advantage. Why should a player be allowed to gain an unfair advantage at the end of the game?
Hockey is full of lots of arcaic, gay, Don Cherry like unwritten rules..
I think it more has to do with the fact it was a chincy call. I have no issue with blatant calls at the end of tight games but I do think that ticky tack fouls that offered no advantage should not be called in tight games that late. But that is just my opinion. A Sharks fan of course would disagree. The refs always say they don't want to decide the game and most people generally think that refs should let teams play in those situations. Not like this was a blatant high stick or a clear trip.
I don't think anyone is saying that the league is going after the Habs. I think people are saying more that they believe that Crosby gets the benefit of the doubt game in and game out. But what superstar really gets any different treatment in other leagues. Kobe and LeBron never get called as well. Just the nature of the game business.
Thank you for saying what I would have. It's not a Habs thing...it's a Crosby thing.And yes you can micro analyze any game and point out lots of missed calls, but it's a little odd when the same player is frequently involved. In my opinion, you can't argue that guys like Cooke, Burrows or Lapierre are sometimes treated with a sterner hand and deny that some players get away with more.Matt Cooke was highsticked by Subban and then Subban was crosschecked by Cooke. Neither call was made. So how do they make that Gill holding call? Because it was Crosby!
I think it more has to do with the fact it was a chincy call. I have no issue with blatant calls at the end of tight games but I do think that ticky tack fouls that offered no advantage should not be called in tight games that late. But that is just my opinion. A Sharks fan of course would disagree.
Well, then I think a better argument would be that ticky tack fouls that offer no advantage should not be called early in games either.
The refs always say they don't want to decide the game and most people generally think that refs should let teams play in those situations. Not like this was a blatant high stick or a clear trip.
I don't want to get into whether this particular play was a penalty or not (because I didn't see it). What I'm saying is that if something is a penalty, it should be a penalty regardless of time and score. Not calling something that is a penalty is deciding the game just as much as calling something.
<-------CONTINUING TO BE THE DIFFERENCE IN EVERY GAME OF THESE PLAYOFFS!THIS IS OUR YEAR BABY!! STRIPES RULE!
Can you ask your boys a few questions:1. Why didn't Crosby receive a penalty for breaking his stick on Halak's post?2. Why didn't Crosby receive a penalty at the end of the second period in game three when he clearly slashed at a Habs player and played a major role in initiating the ensuing scrum?3. Why was a chincey holding penalty called on Hal Gill when Sidney Crosby was also holding Hal Gill on the same play?4. Do Shero and Bylsma have a direct line to the referees?
Can you ask your boys a few questions:1. Why didn't Crosby receive a penalty for breaking his stick on Halak's post?2. Why didn't Crosby receive a penalty at the end of the second period in game three when he clearly slashed at a Habs player and played a major role in initiating the ensuing scrum?3. Why was a chincey holding penalty called on Hal Gill when Sidney Crosby was also holding Hal Gill on the same play?4. Do Shero and Bylsma have a direct line to the referees?
1. Because we listen to our bosses, and they have made it perfectly clear that a) Penguins have to win b) Crosby can never be made to look bad c) Any Canadian teams (especially those with FRENCH fans) cannot go far in the playoffs.2. See 1b3. See 1b+1a+1c (in that order)4. No, thats just silly. Why would we need their help or input? We got this shit covered.But they are encouraged to leave thank you notes in the officials dressing rooms. (Fat envelopes dont hurt either)
Well, then I think a better argument would be that ticky tack fouls that offer no advantage should not be called early in games either. I don't want to get into whether this particular play was a penalty or not (because I didn't see it). What I'm saying is that if something is a penalty, it should be a penalty regardless of time and score. Not calling something that is a penalty is deciding the game just as much as calling something.
I see your point but that would mean they would have to call the game consistently day in and day out and they don't. Some games they let all the ticky tack calls go and call the blatant. The next game the blatant calls rarely get called and the ticky tack calls get called. Then you have games were they make up calls that aren't even there. Then the next game you get a mix of ticky and blatant. Then you get a game where the calls are made in the 1st and 2nd but they put their whistles away in the 3rd and let the teams play. Because of that inconsistency in calling games year after year, game after game, I don't think it is a stretch to say that maybe they should not call ticky tack fouls with under 3 min left in a tie playoff game.
1. Because we listen to our bosses, and they have made it perfectly clear that a) Penguins have to win b) Crosby can never be made to look bad c) Any Canadian teams (especially those with FRENCH fans) cannot go far in the playoffs.2. See 1b3. See 1b+1a+1c (in that order)4. No, thats just silly. Why would we need their help or input? We got this shit covered.But they are encouraged to leave thank you notes in the officials dressing rooms. (Fat envelopes dont hurt either)
haha

Hey Arp, My son has autographed referree cards if you are interested..it was from his first game when we went into the refs dressing room..One of the cards is Auger..

My basic thinking is this. Refs suck. Anything left to a human being is doomed to be subjected to bias. Having said that things even out over time. Using a poker analogy (this is a poker forum I think) any schmuck can win a tournament or walk away from a cash table a big winner. Over time though the cream rises to the top.Sure the pens got calls go their way but I also think they had plenty go against them. The difference in the game was which team was able to deal.