Official 2010 Playoff Trash Talking Thread

Versus showed a replay of the hold and it later realized it wasn't where the penalty was called. I noticed last year that Gill seems to get away with that more than most. My guess is that the ref warned him earlier in the shift and then that was the result when he tried it again.I thought the trip on Leopold was pretty weak late in the 3rd. And lol at the high stick that was missed a during the PK with Letang being the victim.
A couple of points on this (good) discussion...1) One thing no one has mentioned is that you have no idea what the refs are saying to the players. NHL referees maintain a constant stream of dialogue and instruction to the players. For example, Gill might have been warned a couple of times earlier that if he keeps taking his hand off his stick, he's going to get called (and I'm not saying that happened!) Likewise, a player could be told the next time he makes ANY contact with the goalie, he's going off. Knowing what the refs are saying might shed some light on the whole deal..2) Crosby definately does get some calls. I think that goes with the territory. Players who are good, and fast and shifty are ALWAYS going to draw calls, and some of them are going to be questionable. Brett Hull never drew a penalty because he never moved his feet.3) Refs used to be taught 50/30/20 That was the percentage of penalties they should call in each period. I agree with whoever said this is stupid. A penalty is a penalty4) Arp is my favourite referee because he has never made a bad call.5) Crosby should have gotten an unsportsmanlike for smashing his stick. No question.
BGTDCrosby still has some growing up to do for sure. He may get some calls because of the name on his jersey but I also think he gets calls for just flat outworking people.
  • Replies 803
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are missing the point of this thread..Its trash talking..Good sensible discussion doesnt belong..Stuff like:Habs suck and Crosby is a cry baby pussy is stuff you are supposed to post..

You guys are missing the point of this thread..Its trash talking..Good sensible discussion doesnt belong..Stuff like:Habs suck and Crosby is a cry baby pussy is stuff you are supposed to post..
Vancouver CaSucks!
that's because it didn't happen that way
fyi, Nabby is out challenging the shooter.I had said earlier in the thread that he gave three pushes after contact. It was actually 2.5 since the last one was very half assed. it was a penalty. first contact was ok. after that he was getting calledseparately, part of the sharks game is drawing penalties. so when they get more power plays than their opponents it's not due to "bad reffing". at least not most of the time.also I thought that penalty shot was fine. you play the puck with your hand in the crease and it's a penalty shot.
YEah, whatever, I said we would disagree. That call reminded me of the alleged boarding call on Marleau at the end of the 1st period in game 2 or 3. The rule states that you can't close your hand on the puck, the SJ player did no such thing, thus it should not have been a penalty shot.

Yeah. I was wondering about the penalty shot. I just couldn't remember what the exact rule was. It is closing the hand, isn't it? He definitely didn't do that.

the difference with Holmstrom is he's simultaneously preventing Boyle from getting up and pushing him into the goaltender. I'm amazed because it's not even close. just a dumb play by Holmstrom. you're really saying players can go around doing that all the time? come on, dude.the Marleau call was a bit "what?" but he did clip him in the head so I could see it. the best of the series was Heatley being pushed into Howard and getting called for interference. none of the "bad calls" the wings say they've have come close to that (unless I'm forgetting one). Heatley did himself no favours in that game though because he took a couple really dumb penalties earlier so the refs were all over him

67.4 Penalty Shot - If a player, except a goalkeeper, while play is in progress, falls on the puck, holds the puck, picks up the puck, or gathers the puck into his body or hands from the ice in the goal crease area, the play shall be stopped immediately and a penalty shot shall be awarded to the non-offending team. See also Rule 63 – Delaying the Game.

the difference with Holmstrom is he's simultaneously preventing Boyle from getting up and pushing him into the goaltender. I'm amazed because it's not even close. just a dumb play by Holmstrom. you're really saying players can go around doing that all the time? come on, dude.the Marleau call was a bit "what?" but he did clip him in the head so I could see it. the best of the series was Heatley being pushed into Howard and getting called for interference. none of the "bad calls" the wings say they've have come close to that (unless I'm forgetting one). Heatley did himself no favours in that game though because he took a couple really dumb penalties earlier so the refs were all over him
Where are we going?Boarding is throwing someone violently into the boards. Marleau did no such thing. Don't get me wrong. None of the reffing has anything to do with the fact that the Wings have been ridic poor defensively. Given up too many odd man rushes, Hank was nonexistent in game 2, Howard has let in some soft butter like goals, and SJ has outplayed us probably 8 out of 9.5 periods. But articles don't get written by the national media about reffing in this series for no reason at all.

Nowhere apparently. I would love to see a hockey game where we see players do what Holmstrom did 5-10 times a game.I didn't see the first two periods of game three so I can't comment on that. I haven't read or seen any of these articles you're mentioning. All I know is there's been a few close/bad calls either way. It's not dominating the game. Sharks have had way more power plays but they've been earning the vast majority of them. It's really a non-issue. Detroit is being uncharacteristic by taking a lot of penalties.

Ok I guess we will argue. Come on. You posted the video. Did you look at it? If what Homer did was interference, then Boyle goes for the same. You make it sound as if Homer went after Boyle, pushed him into the goalie and then repeatedly kept pushing him over and over into Nabby when the video clearly shows Homer is going to the front of the net and Boyle is going to hit Homer. Homer squares up to deliver a hit back and wins the battle and Boyle falls on Nabby who is 5 feet of of the crease and Homer barely pushes him one more time as the play leaves the zone. Add on a soccer-esque act by Nabby.You cannot sit there and tell me that Boyle was minding his own business and Homer blindsided him with a bunch of pushes. That is ridiculous. Hey guess, what, Homer doesn't have the puck and Boyle hit him as Homer was skating to the front of the crease. Guess what, that is interference.Edit: and before we get into I would like to submit thisfunwithpaint.jpgBoyle looks like he knows what he is doing there.

Fuckin cheaters! 7 skaters on the ice during the OT goal!OMG7.jpgI am kidding, but a local radio host made a big deal out of this and luckily people have been berating him with comments about how stupid he is.

toomanysharksinthewater.jpg
Damn, Adam is right. They got Jesus to ref the games.HEre is a question though that I will pose for all you hockey elite. Was this goal all Howards fault? He is getting a ton of heat for this goal around here. On a 2 on 1 is he not supposed to square up to the shooter and the Dman is there it take away the pass? On this play I believe I stood up when I believe Ericsson pinched and Williams floated the puck and said, "well fuck, there goes that, idiots." And then left the room as the goal was scored.
HEre is a question though that I will pose for all you hockey elite. Was this goal all Howards fault? He is getting a ton of heat for this goal around here. On a 2 on 1 is he not supposed to square up to the shooter and the Dman is there it take away the pass? On this play I believe I stood up when I believe Ericsson pinched and Williams floated the puck and said, "well fuck, there goes that, idiots." And then left the room as the goal was scored.
I certainly am not a "hockey elite," but I put more blame on Rafalski for not really defending the pass. But, it should have never come to that. We were pretty bad in period 3; if we had kept the intensity from period 1 and parts of 2, this is a 2-1 series.
I certainly am not a "hockey elite," but I put more blame on Rafalski for not really defending the pass. But, it should have never come to that. We were pretty bad in period 3; if we had kept the intensity from period 1 and parts of 2, this is a 2-1 series.
Yeah but on a two on one it's basically stay square to the puck handler and hope your lone dman (or at least you hope its a dman and not a forward lol) forces the shot. If not then it is up to the Dman to intercept or disrupt the pass cause if not, chances are you are toast. I don't think I can totally blame Rafalski for this one. But I sure as hell don't blame Howard. First period goal with 1.8 left. Yeah, soft like butter.The ultimate blame goes to I believe it was Williams who airmailed the puck stupidly into the zone and Ericsson had pinched in far leaving 4 SJ men at the blue line and only Rafalski and Howard in front of them.

Yeah, goalie is supposed to play the shot while the d-man take the pass. Obviously it's not that easy or straight forward, but that's the basics.I haven't heard a complaint about Howard's play on that goal though, everything I've read was about Rafalski being useless.

Yeah, goalie is supposed to play the shot while the d-man take the pass. Obviously it's not that easy or straight forward, but that's the basics.I haven't heard a complaint about Howard's play on that goal though, everything I've read was about Rafalski being useless.
Well the local radio show yesterday spent time bitching about Howard and that goal. One radio host complained that he was in the wrong position and should have been back in the center of the net to handle a shot from either side of the ice. And people called in to agree.
Fuckin cheaters! 7 skaters on the ice during the OT goal!OMG7.jpg
The Penguins always have 8. Two of them attempt to disguise themselves as zebras, but I don't think anyone is fooled...except Penguins fans, of course.
The Penguins always have 8. Two of them attempt to disguise themselves as zebras, but I don't think anyone is fooled...except Penguins fans, of course.
What's all this then?

some thoughts....- Zachs right. You can't be listening to people who call in to talk radio for any good insight. - re:7 Sharks on the ice. oh well. (pssssst: you didnt hear it from me, but somone in New York might have said something to certain "officials" about a SoCal team making the finals)- If you thought Jesus was a bad ref, just wait til my boy Buddha is the linesman on Saturday night. You say the player was offside.....Buddha asks if the line ever really existed at all, and if so, was it true to itself?