****2010 Nba Playoffs Official Thread****

• Replies 388
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Every time I watch Orlando I play I feel like Jameer Nelson is the worst possible good point guard they can have. He seems to miss a lot of open guys, passes are late, and he'd rather shoot jumpers off picks than do anything else. If this team had Chris Paul they'd be monsters. He'd make Rashard Lewis an All-Star again, and Dwight Howard would break the FG% record, and Brandon Bass would be so valuable as he's one of the best mid-range jump shooting 4's in the league.Chris Paul is out there. They've got Darren Collison. So, you swap 1st rd picks with a team that needs a point guard, and give them Jameer Nelson who is a great contract and better than anyone outside the top 5. Now, you've got a lottery pick, 1st rd picks you're not going to need or want for the next couple years, and Vince Carter's expiring contract, freeing up $15MM for the summer of 2011 and ensuring NO that they'll stay under the luxury tax the next year. You might argue that NO could get more for Paul, but they're not getting anything more than picks and cap relief from anybody else. If Vince wants to play, they can even be an exciting competitive team next year.

Chris Paul is out there. They've got Darren Collison. So, you swap 1st rd picks with a team that needs a point guard, and give them Jameer Nelson who is a great contract and better than anyone outside the top 5. Now, you've got a lottery pick, 1st rd picks you're not going to need or want for the next couple years, and Vince Carter's expiring contract, freeing up $15MM for the summer of 2011 and ensuring NO that they'll stay under the luxury tax the next year. You might argue that NO could get more for Paul, but they're not getting anything more than picks and cap relief from anybody else. If Vince wants to play, they can even be an exciting competitive team next year.
So you're suggesting that New Orleans trade Chris Paul and their lottery pick for Nelson and a worse first round pick ?Your trade scenario is well to be polite ******* ****** for many reasons.Reason 1. - It can't possibly happen due to salary cap regulations. Orlando would have to trade salary that is close to matching Paul's since Orlando is capped out.Reason 2. - New Orleans aren't ******* retards.Reason 3. - New Orleans aren't ******* brain dead moronsReason 4. - Season the 3 above.It all seriousness why do you think New Orleans is going to hold a fire sale on Chris Paul. Just because they have another pretty good point guard in Collison doesn't mean they are going to dump their franchise player.
Every time I watch Orlando I play I feel like Jameer Nelson is the worst possible good point guard they can have. He seems to miss a lot of open guys, passes are late, and he'd rather shoot jumpers off picks than do anything else. If this team had Chris Paul they'd be monsters. He'd make Rashard Lewis an All-Star again, and Dwight Howard would break the FG% record, and Brandon Bass would be so valuable as he's one of the best mid-range jump shooting 4's in the league.Chris Paul is out there. They've got Darren Collison. So, you swap 1st rd picks with a team that needs a point guard, and give them Jameer Nelson who is a great contract and better than anyone outside the top 5. Now, you've got a lottery pick, 1st rd picks you're not going to need or want for the next couple years, and Vince Carter's expiring contract, freeing up $15MM for the summer of 2011 and ensuring NO that they'll stay under the luxury tax the next year. You might argue that NO could get more for Paul, but they're not getting anything more than picks and cap relief from anybody else. If Vince wants to play, they can even be an exciting competitive team next year.
Agree about Nelson. The thought of having someone like Paul or even a really good PG gives me chills on how great the Magic could be.In any case, I'm just glad for at least one game this series, the Magic played their game.
So you're suggesting that New Orleans trade Chris Paul and their lottery pick for Nelson and a worse first round pick ?Your trade scenario is well to be polite ******* ****** for many reasons.Reason 1. - It can't possibly happen due to salary cap regulations. Orlando would have to trade salary that is close to matching Paul's since Orlando is capped out.Reason 2. - New Orleans aren't ******* retards.Reason 3. - New Orleans aren't ******* brain dead moronsReason 4. - Season the 3 above.
No no. Nelson is going to a lottery team. Detroit, LAC, Indiana. A team like that. NO would be getting a lottery pick, another 1st, Vince/exp K.
No no. Nelson is going to a lottery team. Detroit, LAC, Indiana. A team like that. NO would be getting a lottery pick, another 1st, Vince/exp K.
Okay, I now know that you're not batshit crazy. Your first post confused me.I still don't see New Orleans making a deal like that at all for their franchise player. If they are desperate for cap relief they are far more likely to trade Collison along with a bad contract like Mo Pete's expiring for a draft pick to a team that has some cap space and needs a point guard.They're desparate to sell tickets and if they trade Paul they might as well not even bother.
Okay, I now know that you're not batshit crazy. Your first post confused me.I still don't see New Orleans making a deal like that at all for their franchise player. If they are desperate for cap relief they are far more likely to trade Collison along with a bad contract like Mo Pete's expiring for a draft pick to a team that has some cap space and needs a point guard.They're desparate to sell tickets and if they trade Paul they might as well not even bother.
Collison doesn't hold the trade value Paul does, and all I've heard about that situation is they're leaning towards keeping Collison and trading Paul. Personally, I wouldn't trade Paul for almost anything, but I'd bet that unless they somehow get another really good player, he'll be gone soon enough.
Collison doesn't hold the trade value Paul does, and all I've heard about that situation is they're leaning towards keeping Collison and trading Paul. Personally, I wouldn't trade Paul for almost anything, but I'd bet that unless they somehow get another really good player, he'll be gone soon enough.
New Orleans might be more willing to trade Paul now that he's missing part of his knee.Also, I haven't watched one second of the last two Boston games.
Also, I haven't watched one second of the last two Boston games.
Ok, I just saw the highlight of Rondo chasing after a loose ball, diving for it, then getting up and making a lay-up. Why wasn't that traveling?
Ok, I just saw the highlight of Rondo chasing after a loose ball, diving for it, then getting up and making a lay-up. Why wasn't that traveling?
I remember earlier this postseason the announcers talked about how the pro rule is more lenient than the college rule when it comes to falling down/diving for loose balls. I dont know the specifics.That was not Jason Williams best moment.
I remember earlier this postseason the announcers talked about how the pro rule is more lenient than the college rule when it comes to falling down/diving for loose balls. I dont know the specifics.
I was ok with the diving part; it was the getting up part that didn't seem right.
Wait a minute...a useful youtube comment???Guys you can do that in the NBA, you are allowed to stand up and establish a pivot foot, as long as you didn't fall to the floor while in possession of the ball. Check the NBA rulebook.
I was ok with the diving part; it was the getting up part that didn't seem right.
Wait a minute...a useful youtube comment???Guys you can do that in the NBA, you are allowed to stand up and establish a pivot foot, as long as you didn't fall to the floor while in possession of the ball. Check the NBA rulebook.
I actually had an hour long conversation with a college official recently, I learned so many rules that are either misunderstood or interpreted in the wrong way by fans. You know you can travel on side inbounds passes as long as you're within 3-feet either way of where you were standing when you recieved the ball? You can also catch your own shot even if it doesn't hit anything in college. There really is no such thing as an over-the-back foul. Basically, I learned that officials are right 99% of the time based on the rulebook.

Welcome to the conference finals, Channing Frye.The 2nd quarter of this game has been a showcase of how good the NBA can be.

Welcome to the conference finals, Channing Frye.The 2nd quarter of this game has been a showcase of how good the NBA can be.
Agreed. If Kobe can keep shooting as hot as he is, I sense a 45+ point game for him.
Eff the NBA and allowing zones.I'm on edge.
Agreed. If Kobe can keep shooting as hot as he is, I sense a 45+ point game for him.
45. Any night he wants. Doesn't mean Pau still won't play hot potato.

I knew when they changed the rules, some team was going to be able to gimmick their way to a title at some point. I'm afraid this may be it. Over their head play from bench players, and stupid streaky 3-pt shooting, with undisciplined college like defense on their part that's working because the Lakers are too smart and disciplined to force the issue. They're going to have to play a ragged offensive game to pick apart their defense, and I'm not sure they're capable of playing outside their character.And Pau sucks. He doesn't want to be labeled soft, well the last 2 games is why people say that.Oh, and Danny Crawford...thanks for coming. Next time, stay home please.

I knew when they changed the rules, some team was going to be able to gimmick their way to a title at some point. I'm afraid this may be it. Over their head play from bench players, and stupid streaky 3-pt shooting, with undisciplined college like defense on their part that's working because the Lakers are too smart and disciplined to force the issue. They're going to have to play a ragged offensive game to pick apart their defense, and I'm not sure they're capable of playing outside their character.And Pau sucks. He doesn't want to be labeled soft, well the last 2 games is why people say that.Oh, and Danny Crawford...thanks for coming. Next time, stay home please.
The Lakers lack of a real point guard is a large part of the reason that the zone is working. If they had a point guard who could penetrate a little bit it would open things up in the zone a lot. The NBA zone rules really should make it that the zone doesn't work in large doses but I guess it's showing a pretty big flaw in the make up of the Lakers roster.

LOL @ attacking a zone defense and trying to make it illegal. These guys are getting paid millions and should have the basketball IQ to breakdown a defense. If you can't then you dont deserve to win. 2-3 is the easiest zone to exploit but the GREAT PHIL JACKSON cant get his team to understand what to do. If Kobe wasn't so ridculously talented they might have lost by 20. There's more to pro sports than just building a really physically talented team and hitting the go button, but in the NBA it works alot bc its 5-5 so those edges show more. Coaches are hired to exploit the other teams weaknesse, to watch tape and TEACH his players how to handle situations, and that's what Alvin Gentry has done.So yeah the Lakers are faster, and quicker, and bigger. But they're going to lose because, in the end, they're just a bunch of ****ing retards.

Yeah, the rules allowing the zone have been in place for a long time now. Stop being a homer, poppy. Great adjustment by Gentry.....but the Lakers handled it just fine in the 3rd quarter of Game 3 by getting the ball to the high post. The 2-3 zone is not a gimmick; it's been around for a while now. Their bigger problem is stopping the Suns bench guys.Still, it is not like the Lakers are in huge trouble. They just keep winning at home and they are fine. I am just glad we have some excitement.

the Lakers handled it just fine in the 3rd quarter of Game 3 by getting the ball to the high post.
Yeah, you guys need to go to the link I posted above that breaks down the Lakers versus the zone. Short story: the Lakers can kill it, but they get lazy and stop doing what works. I'd rather see Luke Walton in there instead of Artest against this defense (and because Artest's defense isn't as crucial against the Suns).Also, the Lakers don't need a PG to break down the zone; Kobe can do it just fine.