Running Bad....advice?

Ok, so i started playing poker regularily this year....I've played occasionally on and off for the past 10 years, after playing quite a bit for about 6 months. I was prone to tilt, so I decided to just play sometimes (having kids/wife does that to you).So after reading up, and always following strategy these past 10 yrs, i decided to play reguarly, part time, and try to treat it like a job. Playing 2-5 mainly at a local card room, I was off and running for the first 3 months. I only had a few losing sessions, so I felt I was a favorite in the game, but I do admit, the sample was small. Just over 120 hours played.Recently, I started playing online..Im not dumb, I know online is a completely different beast. Most live players would like to think that both live and online players have their strengths and weaknesses, and in the end we are all equal, but I'm not one of them. I believe that if you stick 5 online players and 5 live players at the same table, the online players will do considerably better. So, I tried the online game, but it brought out my tilting tendencies. So after going bust online, I decided to leave it alone for now. But now, I havne't won playing live since....i've lost 5 straight sessions. The first 2 sessions that I played since trying online, I lost, probably due to my new found aggression playing 6 max, which carried over to a full ring live game, as well as tilting (which i never did this year). So I fixed that...but still losing...I'm still up for the year, a good amount, more than I hoped for when I originally started....but I'm just thinking....how bad do losing streaks run? Is it a normal occurance to lose 5-10 times in a row? And when ppl say, take a break....how long? I mean, if i only play about 2-4 times a week, how long should I stay away?Most of this post is rambling...I'm just looking for some advice on how to deal with these losing streaks.....some unique advice never heard before that works for you...if possible. Thanks.

I'm on the biggest downswing since I started playing poker. I think that after a period of time, your mental game can be affect by losing so much. My advice would to go and read more strat pages (here, 2p2, and many more various sites). I would also take a break for a little bit to get my mind off of it.I know there is a podcast or something where it talks about the mentality of the game which is really helpful.

Thanks true ace...i'll check that out. If you dont mind me asking, what's your downswing? I had built up a profit of over 9gs playing 2-5, but now, after taking my 1100 loss online, and my numerous losses in a row live...i've lost about half, to the tune of 4300. Quite depressing...but i have noticed that some of the losses have come in all-in pots where i was getting paid over 3 to 1 on flush draws that didnt hit...i guess that's variance for you...but i would say at least 30% of the loss is just due to piss poor play..espeically online..

Let me put it this wayOnline it's very common to log 1,000 hand breakeven / losing sessions in a few hours. That's standard. If you're playing say 30 hands per hour live, that means what takes an online guy 2-3 hours to suffer through will take you basically 33 hours. Now if you're logging 4-6 hour sessions, then of course it's not going to be rare to log several losing sessions in a row. Hell many winning players have breakeven/losing stretches of several thousand hands. If you were to translate that live, then, well good luck. I just explained this concept to some guys I play a home game with. They were telling me about some fish they played with. He's a fish because he lost "every time" they played. I asked them how often they played. Once a month for about 3 hours a night, and they've been having games for about half of a year. LOLOne problem is that you're defining success based on the arbitrary duration of "sessions," when a session is simply a finite unit of time convenient for you. Instead you have to worry about making the right decisions, and doing your best not to tilt when you're not profiting from those decisions. When the results begin to effect your play, and you're tilting, then you imo should step away from the game.

Let me put it this wayOnline it's very common to log 1,000 hand breakeven / losing sessions in a few hours. That's standard. If you're playing say 30 hands per hour live, that means what takes an online guy 2-3 hours to suffer through will take you basically 33 hours. Now if you're logging 4-6 hour sessions, then of course it's not going to be rare to log several losing sessions in a row. Hell many winning players have breakeven/losing stretches of several thousand hands. If you were to translate that live, then, well good luck. I just explained this concept to some guys I play a home game with. They were telling me about some fish they played with. He's a fish because he lost "every time" they played. I asked them how often they played. Once a month for about 3 hours a night, and they've been having games for about half of a year. LOLOne problem is that you're defining success based on the arbitrary duration of "sessions," when a session is simply a finite unit of time convenient for you. Instead you have to worry about making the right decisions, and doing your best not to tilt when you're not profiting from those decisions. When the results begin to effect your play, and you're tilting, then you imo should step away from the game.
that is funny...once a month, 3 hours, for 6 months...but really, i'm not defining success...more so failure..in sessions.....however, truth be told, even though it's "sessions"..it still feels like a lsoing streak after 5 times in a row...lol...gonna go play tonight maybe...:club:

i thought u played it well...but i probably put in a bluff looking type raise on the turn cause you're out of position...or i lead the river with a weak bet hoping to get a raise...he didnt show up with k/9 suited did he?