• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I'm still enjoying the show, it's no longer the fun, easy going watch it used to be.Best Boat: Time Bandit - These guys just seem to have fun and get along. It's gotta suck for Scotty seeing that they are giving Mike a shot at becoming the next captain. But, I think Mike is the better choice. (so far)Worst Boat: Northwestern - These guys seem the opposite of the Time Bandit. All work and hardly any fun. Sig seems like a dick. They don't ever give Jake a break, and I think it's time for him to move to a different boat. However, given their small crew, they do always seem to make the most money.Who cares Boat: KodiakWhat happened to the younger captian from one of the earlier seasons? Blake?

As someone familiar with addiction, it's pretty infuriating that jake threw out the 'i'm an addict' card in an attempt to save his relationship/job with his father, only to do nothing to address it, even after phil's death.Nothing about his addiction has been addressed that I can see on the CM website. It says that jake is out fishing right now just like normal. No news of rehab, no meetings, nothing. Since it's obvious that the crew doesn't know what's going to be aired, I bet jake was hoping this exchange would be minimized. Now he just looks like an selfish asshole.

Nothing about his addiction has been addressed that I can see on the CM website. It says that jake is out fishing right now just like normal. No news of rehab, no meetings, nothing. Since it's obvious that the crew doesn't know what's going to be aired, I bet jake was hoping this exchange would be minimized. Now he just looks like an selfish asshole.
According to Josh, Jake has been through rehab.http://tvwatch.people.com/2010/06/25/deadl...th-phil-harris/Josh says his brother has since moved closer to him and is getting better. “He just went through rehab and everything is going real good,” Josh says. “I have my brother back in some aspects. It’s still a battle, though, but we talk about things a lot, decide things together, and he’s thinking a lot more clear-minded.”http://www.popeater.com/2010/06/16/josh-ha...eadliest-catch/You didn't know about Jake's problems at all?I had an idea there were problems, but I didn't realize that occurrence had happened. They didn't tell me about that because I would have flipped out on him. I'm like the mother of the family. That's my job, to keep the family in line -- the mediator, the mother and sometimes the father, because that's just the way we roll. We're fishermen.Looking back, were there warning signs to Jake's problems?Yeah, there were. But, we're fishermen. We get home and live life to the extreme, because we never really know if we're going to come back. In a sense, we live every day like it's the weekend and every weekend like it's New Year's. We're extremists all the way around, because the typical story of the fisherman is a guy who goes out and busts his ass for three months and comes home and blows all of his money in the first three weeks because he might not be coming back. You want to live life to the fullest. No regrets, balls to the wall. Live hard, play hard.Jake has gotten treatment, you said?Yeah, after this whole incident Discovery and Original Productions got together and really have been stepping it up for us. They helped get Jake to rehab. It's made a big impact in his life and it's really helped him out, and hopefully he'll continue living the straight life because we need him more than ever now. There's a lot of decisions that need to be made. We're not just in it for ourselves anymore. We've got families to look after.
While I'm still enjoying the show, it's no longer the fun, easy going watch it used to be.Best Boat: Time Bandit - These guys just seem to have fun and get along. It's gotta suck for Scotty seeing that they are giving Mike a shot at becoming the next captain. But, I think Mike is the better choice. (so far)Worst Boat: Northwestern - These guys seem the opposite of the Time Bandit. All work and hardly any fun. Sig seems like a dick. They don't ever give Jake a break, and I think it's time for him to move to a different boat. However, given their small crew, they do always seem to make the most money.Who cares Boat: KodiakWhat happened to the younger captian from one of the earlier seasons? Blake?
Blake was on the Maverick, and that boat seems to not be participating anymore in favor of the Wizard (much more colorful boat, obviously). Time Bandit guys are hilarious, I'd love to go out drinking with them some night. Mike was the clear and obvious choice, you can't give it to Scotty just as a birthright if he's shown no signs of interest up to now. I'm kind of confused why Neal isn't even in the discussion though, gotta be a story there somewhere. Jake Anderson definitely needs a new boat, he's always going to be the kid brother on the Northwestern, those guys seem to treat him like dirt, whether it's done with "love" or otherwise.

thanks for looking into it tobey, but I still don't buy that he's in recovery. that sounds an awful lot like the show was looking for another story arc or more footage. I don't believe that josh really understands addiction, and I feel that if he really was going through this with jake like they make it seem on the show, then I don't think josh would be saying the things that he is. I have no way to back this up, it's just how i feel about the little punk. Can't be easy to lose your father though.

After watching the scene where jake gets caught stealing pills, it's apparent to me that he's just a selfish prick who cares about no one but himself. What an ass.jake is a selfish prick, and he's not an addict. he's just a dishonest thief, which is why phil was so upset.
As someone familiar with addiction, it's pretty infuriating that jake threw out the 'i'm an addict' card in an attempt to save his relationship/job with his father, only to do nothing to address it, even after phil's death.Nothing about his addiction has been addressed that I can see on the CM website. It says that jake is out fishing right now just like normal. No news of rehab, no meetings, nothing. Since it's obvious that the crew doesn't know what's going to be aired, I bet jake was hoping this exchange would be minimized. Now he just looks like an selfish asshole.
This will come off as offensive but I don't care. I think you're clueless about how addicts think and how addiction issues can alter a persons behavior and attitude. Addicts will steal, borrow, lie, cheat and suck **** for a fix when they start getting sick. Is this selfish? I mean, I guess you could look at that way but that ignores the basic fact that an addict will do almost anything to get well. Your attitude and posts make me think you've seen a person with an addiction have serious life issues and you can't understand why the person just doesn't stop. Am I warm? This is just about as out of touch with addiction issues as someone can be. I'm guessing the addiction you were exposed to was alcohol/something else and not opiates. warmer?Jake isn't about to change his behavior unless he wants to change. His words mean nothing dude.edit: I'm really shocked the producers haven't addressed amphetamine usage which has to be extremely common fleet wide.
edit: I'm really shocked the producers haven't addressed amphetamine usage which has to be extremely common fleet wide.
Probably wouldn't have much of a show if they started outing these guys. Who would let them on their boat after something like that?
This will come off as offensive but I don't care. I think you're clueless about how addicts think and how addiction issues can alter a persons behavior and attitude. Addicts will steal, borrow, lie, cheat and suck **** for a fix when they start getting sick. Is this selfish? I mean, I guess you could look at that way but that ignores the basic fact that an addict will do almost anything to get well. Your attitude and posts make me think you've seen a person with an addiction have serious life issues and you can't understand why the person just doesn't stop. Am I warm? This is just about as out of touch with addiction issues as someone can be. I'm guessing the addiction you were exposed to was alcohol/something else and not opiates. warmer?Jake isn't about to change his behavior unless he wants to change. His words mean nothing dude.edit: I'm really shocked the producers haven't addressed amphetamine usage which has to be extremely common fleet wide.
disclaimer: I'm not offended. You don't know me, and that's okay. Aren't you on the western slope? Have you gambooled in cripple creek?Anyway, like I have said before, I am very, very familiar with addiction issues, and I am have experience with different aspects of that, from a user/addict standpoint, to a treatment standpoint, to an enforcement standpoint. I am being slightly vague because I don't really care to share personal details with a bunch of anonymous internet douchebags (everyone who might read this on the net). I would be happy to engage you in any of these areas if we are discussing addiction. You have a totally wrong read if you think I 'don't have a clue' about addiction. Sorry if that's offensive, and I'm happy to explain anything I've said. What's your experience and why am I wrong?You are warm and cold. I have experience dealing with alcohol, opiates, painkillers specifically, marijuana, everything. That's exactly why I am questioning jake's 'addiction' given the small bits of info we've been given. I also have to give a little credit to the family, in case they are trying to minimize things on purpose. I would be convinced that he went to rehab if they gave more details like where he went or what program he entered. Again, I totally understand the privacy thing as well. Jake's an idiot, and cameras are rolling 24/7, so it's hard for me to believe that jake was an addict who regularly stole dad's pills. He could very well be an addict, but a meth addict usually doesn't steal painkillers. I would like to get into the episode where jake got caught stealing pills. I haven't seen a show since, so I am not sure if this has been addressed. I clicked tobey's links as well. Have I missed something?I don't see you taking a position or doing anything except questioning my experience with addiction. Do you have a problem with something that I said? I kind of feel like you don't like the fact that I think his 'addiction' to painkillers is a sham. Is that it? Why? Is that the issue we are discussing right now? Are we discussing something about addiction in general? I'm confused what you are trying to say.I agree that drug use is likely rampant among that crowd, and I bet the show doesn't want to highlight the really negative parts of that industry. They paint a pretty rosy picture imo. But the show is just trying to make money, and it's not like they promise full disclosure or anything.edit: are you an addict or alcoholic or something? why do you refer to an someone looking for a fix, willing to suck dick, as someone who is sick? Why do you refer to 'getting well' as getting high? why do you have so much sympathy?

I was totally high when I wrote so I don't know what I was trying to say. I was probably confused by your assertion that Jake is a thief but not an addict and went into ramble mode. my bad

I was totally high when I wrote so I don't know what I was trying to say. I was probably confused by your assertion that Jake is a thief but not an addict and went into ramble mode. my bad
It's all good. I just didn't quite understand why you thought I wasn't credible. Have a good weekend.

Sooooo.....Mike has one bad time of throwing the hook, and all of the sudden he's no longer Captain material?I'm not sure what to say about the Harris boys. I realize that everyone reacts different to any given scenario, and no one really knows how they are going to react when a parent or love one is going through a traumatic situation, but I wanted to reach through my TV and smack the F*ck out of Jake.Next weeks gonna be tough to watch.

Sooooo.....Mike has one bad time of throwing the hook, and all of the sudden he's no longer Captain material?I'm not sure what to say about the Harris boys. I realize that everyone reacts different to any given scenario, and no one really knows how they are going to react when a parent or love one is going through a traumatic situation, but I wanted to reach through my TV and smack the F*ck out of Jake.Next weeks gonna be tough to watch.
I think this whole story arc of following phil's death is exceedingly creepy, and I probably won't watch until they're done showing it all.

I couldn't agree more except I'll still watch. The argument in the hotel room was staged which is really gross on so many levels. Also, the electronic cigarettes in After The Catch make sense given their father/captain just died as a direct result of long term smoking. I hope they kick the nicotine thing. Oh and the other Jake on the Northwestern got a cupcake and 1/2 candle for 6 months clean which is kind of weird. I mean, you either follow the program or you don't. The one year cake is a pretty big deal for someone in the program but I think 6 months is like a key chain or something. I don't think I'm the only one who thought he had a bit of the meth face when he returned for king crab earlier this year. Sig's attitude was kind of odd when they were presenting the cupcake in that he basically expects Jake to slide off the wagon but he's a good kid. That type of attitude is not something anyone in any form of recovery should be around. or something

Sooooo.....Mike has one bad time of throwing the hook, and all of the sudden he's no longer Captain material?
Yeah, that was weird...poor editing/commentary during that part.
The argument in the hotel room was staged which is really gross on so many levels.
Staged?
I couldn't agree more except I'll still watch. The argument in the hotel room was staged which is really gross on so many levels. Also, the electronic cigarettes in After The Catch make sense given their father/captain just died as a direct result of long term smoking. I hope they kick the nicotine thing. Oh and the other Jake on the Northwestern got a cupcake and 1/2 candle for 6 months clean which is kind of weird. I mean, you either follow the program or you don't. The one year cake is a pretty big deal for someone in the program but I think 6 months is like a key chain or something. I don't think I'm the only one who thought he had a bit of the meth face when he returned for king crab earlier this year. Sig's attitude was kind of odd when they were presenting the cupcake in that he basically expects Jake to slide off the wagon but he's a good kid. That type of attitude is not something anyone in any form of recovery should be around. or something
Definitely methface. I can't imagine the other crewmembers, sober or otherwise, appreciate this attention to rampant drug use in that industry.
  • 2 weeks later...

The hour-long tribute to Captain Phil was actually really nicely done, in stark contrast to how they treated his death in the normal episodes. In other words, I agree with you guys that it was shameful that they tried to keep viewers in suspense about the health/alive-ness of a man who died months and months ago. But yeah, the tribute was very nice. For some reason I just couldn't get enough of him as a young man. He was so fucking rock and roll, it's amazing. Got to meet Phil's dad, his ex-wife (Jake and Josh's mother), etc.

The hour-long tribute to Captain Phil was actually really nicely done, in stark contrast to how they treated his death in the normal episodes. In other words, I agree with you guys that it was shameful that they tried to keep viewers in suspense about the health/alive-ness of a man who died months and months ago. But yeah, the tribute was very nice. For some reason I just couldn't get enough of him as a young man. He was so fucking rock and roll, it's amazing. Got to meet Phil's dad, his ex-wife (Jake and Josh's mother), etc.
I really enjoyed the parts where his friends honored him in their own ways out on the water, got misty cause I'm a big baby.
Wow, Phil led a wild life. He comes across as so likeable and fun. I couldn't imaging making $100K in a month now, much less when I was in high school. While Phil and his two high school friends looked/acted normal(ish?) by todays standards, I cant imaging three high schoolers living in a house by themselves that one of them owned! That must have been some crazy azz shit!I'm not so sure of the bolded part. I think Discovery's been upfront the whole time about his death. Right after he died, they ran a marathon of shows as a tribute to his life. And I'm pretty sure that throughout most of the recent episodes (before they aired his the news of his death) they've had a picture of Phil on the bottom of the screen with the years of his life (1953-2010).ROCK ON PHIL.........YOU WILL BE MISSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Side note......what do you think the chances this is the last season (at least for a while if not ever) will we see Edgar? I'd say he's 75% gone for good. I'll miss him as well!
Wow, Phil led a wild life. He comes across as so likeable and fun. I couldn't imaging making $100K in a month now, much less when I was in high school. While Phil and his two high school friends looked/acted normal(ish?) by todays standards, I cant imaging three high schoolers living in a house by themselves that one of them owned! That must have been some crazy azz shit!
According to the inflation calculator, $130,000 in 1980 would be just under $335,000 in today's money. Just a sick amount of money, crab fishing was the wild west and the gold rush wrapped into one in those days.
  • 2 months later...

Well...that's the end of that show.

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – A trio of stars of Discovery's hit reality series "Deadliest Catch" have left the show.Capts. Johnathan and Andy Hillstrand -- who were sued earlier this month by Discovery for allegedly not performing work on a planned spinoff special -- as well as Capt. Sig Hansen, said in a statement Tuesday that they were "unable" to continue on the series due to the litigation."We have been through a lot over the past year and unfortunately given the current situation with Discovery we are unable to continue participating in 'Deadliest Catch,'" the three crab fishermen said in a joint written statement. "It has been a fantastic ride, and we wish the best to all of the amazing and supportive 'Catch' fans we have met over the years."A statement from Discovery was not forthcoming.The network sued the Hillstrands for $3 million claiming they failed to show up to finish work on "Hillstranded," a planned "Catch" spinoff. The Hillstrands' lawyer Jeff Cohen then called the suit an attempt to "extort" his clients and said the lawsuit could force them to sell their boats and fire their crews. Hansen, also repped by Cohen, later weighed in, backing the Hillstrands, slamming Discovery and saying, "I want people to know the captains stand together, and me and my brothers support them 100 percent."Hansen, captain of the Northwestern, has been a fixture on "Catch" since its first season premiered in 2005. The Hillstrands, captains of the Time Bandit, joined in Season 2. Filming on the seventh season of the Emmy-nominated series is scheduled to begin as crab season starts in October. But barring any reconciliation, it now appears the show will be down three captains (in addition to Capt. Phil Harris, who died earlier this year).
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_deadliestNo more Northwestern, no more Time Bandit, no more Captain Phil...what's the point?
Well...that's the end of that show. http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/us_deadliestNo more Northwestern, no more Time Bandit, no more Captain Phil...what's the point?
That sucks. Is anyone as shocked :club: as I am about Kieth not standing up with his fellow Captain's? I could give two shits about Wild Bill. It looks like they are going to have to milk Captain Phil's death for another season.Any word if this will affect the outcome of the highly anticipated Deadliest Catch game? (Link Thingy)deadliest-catch-sea-of-chaos-box.jpg
That sucks. Is anyone as shocked :club: as I am about Kieth not standing up with his fellow Captain's? I could give two shits about Wild Bill. It looks like they are going to have to milk Captain Phil's death for another season.Any word if this will affect the outcome of the highly anticipated Deadliest Catch game? (Link Thingy)deadliest-catch-sea-of-chaos-box.jpg
Keith and Jonathan obviously don't have much love lost anyway (although most of that looked pretty staged for the cameras) so I can't say I'm surprised. He doesn't seem to care much about anyone but himself and his own crew. I could have gotten by without the Northwestern, but the Hillstrands and Captain Phil were basically the whole reason I watched the show. Maybe it'll all get resolved, who knows. I won't feel very compelled to watch if Discovery doesn't figure out a way to fix the situation.