• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the two Jakes switching boats wasn't a suggestion from producers of the show. I hate things like that as they always kinda turn out feeling fake. So far, I'm not sure about it. Also, what the hell got into Jonathan? I think he was wasted and got a little out of hand.

I'm pretty sure the switch is a gimmick. They said it's just not something that's done. Why would any captain let a valuable crew member go to another boat and then take on a member of the other crew that wasn't cutting the mustard? Johnathon is the kind of guy who thinks a good time is drinking a 12 pack of Milwaukee's Beast and picking a fight. Naturally he's going to get physical when confronting anyone about anything.

I'm pretty sure the switch is a gimmick. They said it's just not something that's done. Why would any captain let a valuable crew member go to another boat and then take on a member of the other crew that wasn't cutting the mustard? Johnathon is the kind of guy who thinks a good time is drinking a 12 pack of Milwaukee's Beast and picking a fight. Naturally he's going to get physical when confronting anyone about anything.
at the same time too though Keith has done some questionable things in the past. I remember last season when he was fishing same place phil was fishing.

I don't think we need spoilers for deadliest catch. I doubt that the Jake-switch was pitched by the producers. It really is an insanely dangerous job and the captains wouldn't wanna take on somebody who was gonna mess things up. Both Jakes seem very motivated and strong, as far as the job. I think both captains were probably truthful in their explanations for the switcheroo. Actually, I bet the producer wasn't even happy about it (not that he was unhappy, but probably ambivalent). If the brothers had stayed on the same boat there was gonna be tons of dramabombs. It's a little sad watching captain Phil and knowing that he's about to die.

I don't think we need spoilers for deadliest catch.

It's a little sad watching captain Phil and knowing that he's about to die.

DUDE!

j/k and gg Phil

Captains don't trade crews and they said as much on the show. There's zero upside to do this. Either you have a crew member doing their job or you don't. If they're doing the job then the Captain isn't going to let them go, much less trade them for another boats crew member that wasn't doing his job. I think you're right in that the producers probably didn't orchestrate this trade but instead Phil and Sig cooked this up on their own. If you watch the way they were speaking to each other in front of the camera, it's like they were 'acting' and actors they ain't.

to me it definitely looked like something that wasdone for a plot line. The last you see of Northwestern Jake was him leaving the boat after his sister died last year and it was obvious that the guys on the boat felt his pain and how close they all were. Now he is deing shipped out? I don't buy it. I hope I am wrong but it just seemed forced to me.

It didn't seem forced to me at all. Aren't both guys the kids of the captains? People are always messing with their kids.

It didn't seem forced to me at all. Aren't both guys the kids of the captains? People are always messing with their kids.
No, only the Jake from Cornelia Marie is the son of Capt. Phil, unless I missed something.

I think a more interesting show would be...The Deadliest Coochit could be a show about women with killer vaginas. At this point, I will admit it's a 5 second over-a-couple-of-beers joke, but I can assure you that SNL would be happy to make a 5 minute sketch out of this idea.Deadliest Crotch- About women who just don't wash up their pie.

• 2 weeks later...

Obviously it works out OK, but this is the stupidest idea EVER!Haven't they spent the last 5-6 years telling us how dangerous the icy water is, now they put guys in on purpose?!?!?

Obviously it works out OK, but this is the stupidest idea EVER!Haven't they spent the last 5-6 years telling us how dangerous the icy water is, now they put guys in on purpose?!?!?
Pretty much what I was thinking last night. Jake had to feel pretty good when Phil told him he would hire him anytime.
I dunno...the whole thing seemed really fake to me. There were definitely elements of it that were staged (like the shots up close on the kids in the water...um, did they take cameras along?), and I'm thinking that the whole deal was far less dangerous and dramatic than they made it look, if it was even real in the first place. Wouldn't it have made a whole hell of a lot more sense to break out the raft?

last season when Northwestern Jake's sister died didn't they drop him in the water for someone else to pick him up? And that one was no where near the same drama as this one. I am starting to think maybe they played it up a little more than needed.

last season when Northwestern Jake's sister died didn't they drop him in the water for someone else to pick him up?
Yeah but like, they gave him a boat that time. Big difference :club:.
I am starting to think maybe they played it up a little more than needed.
Absolutely. Well, I think the producers of the show edited it to be much more scary and dramatic than it was. I doubt the captains played it up really. But the whole thing where they were all 'omg where is he i can't see him omg omg!' actually probably lasted about 7 seconds, as opposed to the 3 minutes they made it seem. Once they got the 2nd Jake everybody seemed very relaxed like it had gone smoothly, but it was edited to look like he could have almost maybe drowned maybe. The scene with Jake and his uncle was pretty sad. Very well-done though - the show didn't try to play it up or make it overly dramatic, they just played the whole clip, uninterrupted.
Yeah but like, they gave him a boat that time. Big difference :club:.
For some reason I thought he was more out in the elements than that. But totally can't remember.
  • 1 month later...

Been a tough couple of episodes to watch.I feel horible for Jake Anderson. Can that dude catch a break.......one time.Even though I've known it was coming, seeing Captain Phil stroke out like that, it was almost too much to watch. Especially after he busts Jake taking his pills. Can't say I'm shocked he is an addict. My wife commented on how Phil was going through old pictures right before he had his stroke. It's almost like his body knew what was coming. RIP Phil. You were a good man (as far as I can tell from watching edited TV).

Been a tough couple of episodes to watch.I feel horible for Jake Anderson. Can that dude catch a break.......one time.Even though I've known it was coming, seeing Captain Phil stroke out like that, it was almost too much to watch. Especially after he busts Jake taking his pills. Can't say I'm shocked he is an addict. My wife commented on how Phil was going through old pictures right before he had his stroke. It's almost like his body knew what was coming. RIP Phil. You were a good man (as far as I can tell from watching edited TV).
After watching the scene where jake gets caught stealing pills, it's apparent to me that he's just a selfish prick who cares about no one but himself. What an ass.jake is a selfish prick, and he's not an addict. he's just a dishonest thief, which is why phil was so upset.
I feel horible for Jake Anderson. Can that dude catch a break.......one time.
I googled his dad...and it doesn't sound good. He went missing in January, and the last person who claims to have seen him was his Oxycontin dealer. He is still missing as of today.
finally watched the last episode and that was just so sad to watch. It has been sad knowing what is going to happen however to see it finally happen was just so sad.