Treme is a new HBO series set in New Orleans three months after Katrina. It is created by David Simon (The Wire).Did anybody else catch the pilot? I thought it was fantastic, and I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a show. In a similar fashion to The Wire, Simon drops the audience right into this world that we know nothing about. Never bothering to properly explain the characters or their seemingly foreign dialect. As a Wire veteran, I had no problem with this (at least compared to The Wire pilot).So if you've seen it, what did you think? And if you haven't, what are you waiting for?

I enjoyed the first episode. I never had a problem understanding any of the dialog in The Wire except a few of Snoops Eboniccal phrases. There were whole sentences that I missed in Treme because I couldn't understand the words. I like how we get to see characters from the Wire in completely different roles. Did I see a grown up Dookie being served a beer? Simon's used actors from The Corner and Homicide on The Wire but he made sure the actors played completely different roles. Like if someone was a cop on one series, they had to be criminal or drug user on the other series. The only complaint I have is that some of the scenes were too dark. I'm sure the scenes were lit this way on purpose but still. One thing that I thought was awesome and also had to be done on purpose is the scene where Albert Lambreaux (I had to look that up, it's Lester from the Wire) and his daughter were pulling up to his old house that they had to abandon during the flooding. The shinny gold Cadillac pulls into frame and the camera zooms in a little as the car comes to a 90 degree angle to the camera. What's so great about that? The director of photography was making a point that you can do these type of shots and not have the entire crew show up in the reflection. Attention to detail and the thought that goes behind not only the writing but the execution of the scripts is what made The Wire so good. They certainly brought that same ideal to Treme. So yea, I pretty much loved it. Oh and the funeral procession was pretty fantastic. Raise your hand if you don't think that would be a good send off.

I only watched the first 10 minutes, gonna watch the rest tonight. Dude, Bunk can play the fucking bone like a motherfucker. The actor, that is. It's clearly really him playing.The credits are really gorgeous, some of the best opening credits I've seen on any show. The Wire also had great credits, obviously.

Heh, check your PMs.
thanks for the link also. Seems like a very interesting show. I also really liked the funeral scene. Would be an amazing send off. Happy to see rob brown in something. Amazing how great he was in finding forester that he hasn't done a lot of other things. I didnt think that was dookie and checked IMDB and he isn't listed on that either but who knows.

So I finally watched the pilot. It was outstanding. Some notes:- That was definitely not Dookie.- Freeman is fantastic, and has a fascinating character. His daughter is played by Omar's girl who got the friendly-fire bullet in the head. This seems to be a somewhat more substantial part for her.- Bunk is outta sight ("I thought he been dead.")- Steve Zahn really ties shit together for me. I absolutely love his character. The scene with Elvis Costello slayed me. - Also loving Melissa Leo and John Goodman. Can't wait for tonight's episode.And according to some article I just read it's actually not Bunk on the bone - it's dubbed really well though.

Albert Lambreaux (I had to look that up, it's Lester from the Wire)
Yeah, I'm just gonna keep calling him Lester. Same with Bunk. Like you said it's cool how Simon always gives everybody a totally different character, but those names from The Wire are just too ingrained in me to think of them as anything else. Some examples of actors as different characters:Freeman was a junkie on The Corner, Freeman on The Wire, and now he's a carnival Indian with some apparently intense motivation.Khandi Alexander was a junkie on The Corner, and now she owns a bar and is totally together. Norman Wilson and Sydnor also played a junkie and a dealer, respectively. Bunk's new character is more like McNulty than he is like Bunk, always being late and fucking up (not that McNulty was notoriously late, he was just notoriously fucked).
really like this episode. That was Slim at the end right? He isn't listed on IMDB but it looked exactly like him.
100% Slim Charles, but apparently it was just a cameo because he wasn't the brother.Anyways, I enjoyed the 2nd episode, but I did have a few things I didn't love. The scene with the Wisconsin kids and the street performers was just awkward and cringe-inducing. And then Steve Zahn bumping into them the next morning was funny but also totally preposterous. In so many ways the show is grounded in actual reality and people converse very naturally, so I think it makes BS scenes like that really stand out.I did like his line, "Now where the fuck am I gonna eat breakfast?" though.Oh right, and goddam Lester Freeman! I mean, goddam. (beating that kid (to death?))
Khandi Alexander was a junkie on The Corner, and now she owns a bar and is totally together. Norman Wilson and Sydnor also played a junkie and a dealer, respectively.
I'm not looking this up but I think she was the lead female junkie on The Corner. Gary's ex-wife?Wasn't she also Cutty's ex-girlfriend who was a teacher in the county then transferred into the city and taught with Presbo?
100% Slim Charles, but apparently it was just a cameo because he wasn't the brother.Anyways, I enjoyed the 2nd episode, but I did have a few things I didn't love. The scene with the Wisconsin kids and the street performers was just awkward and cringe-inducing. And then Steve Zahn bumping into them the next morning was funny but also totally preposterous. In so many ways the show is grounded in actual reality and people converse very naturally, so I think it makes BS scenes like that really stand out.I did like his line, "Now where the fuck am I gonna eat breakfast?" though.Oh right, and goddam Lester Freeman! I mean, goddam. (beating that kid (to death?))
This episode had pretty much every character pointing out the 'real' NO from the tourist French Quarter NO. I could see how you thought those two specific scenes were forced but I think that was the point.
I'm not looking this up but I think she was the lead female junkie on The Corner. Gary's ex-wife?
Yep.The_Corner.jpg
Wasn't she also Cutty's ex-girlfriend who was a teacher in the county then transferred into the city and taught with Presbo?
Nope, different actress.Re: the scenes being forced, that is how I felt about the street performer scene. But the scene where Steve Zahn bumped into the girls on his way home didn't seem forced, it just seemed totally unrealistic that he would bump into them. It also seemed implausible that their whole church group was freaking out and their parents were coming to help locate their probably raped and murdered bodies, but that the next morning they still didn't realize that their church group would be in a complete panic. Just didn't make sense to me. But again, Zahn made up for it almost.

The rant that John Goodman's character had with his student about the schools updated curriculum reminded me of Frank Sobotka's "we used to build shit in this country" speech.

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently Steve Zahn's character is causing a little bit of a stir due to the fact that everybody (critics or whatever) strongly dislikes him. The character that is, not Zahn. I mean he is annoying, but I think he's fucking great. Well you can call it gentrification,I'm gonna call it good.RIGHT?! RIGHT?!

• 5 weeks later...
have you guys still been watching? I have a couple more episodes to watch to be caught up but its been alright. What are your guys thoughts?
I just starting watching Monday and I've only got 1 episode to watch till I'm caught up. I enjoy it but it's not as dramatic as I'm used to. What I mean is that I'm not really on the edge of my seat following any of the stories. Only 3 few more episodes this season though. Not sure what I'm gonna watch this summer when this is done June 20th.
have you guys still been watching? I have a couple more episodes to watch to be caught up but its been alright. What are your guys thoughts?
I'm still watching. I am digging it actually.