• Replies 418
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

More evidence that Republicans are retarded. In light of this:Majority of Americans say no second term for Obamaand this:R's could take 80-90 seats in the fallthe Republicans come out with this:McCain says we need to "pull the trigger" on IranYeah, that's how to get elected -- by suggesting that we get into another endless, unwinnable war against a country that is no serious threat to us.

Pit maverick Republican Congressman Ron Paul against President Obama in a hypothetical 2012 election match-up, and the race is – virtually dead even.
McCain's gone and they're sticking the maverick title on Ron Paul. Interesting.
Is there a list somewhere that shows major political issues and Ron Paul's stances on them?
I think RP's political beliefs are more of a general philosophy then an issue by issue stance, but I did find this.http://www.ontheissues.org/Ron_Paul.htm
I think RP's political beliefs are more of a general philosophy then an issue by issue stance, but I did find this.http://www.ontheissues.org/Ron_Paul.htm
That was interesting. I think I agree with him on a lot of stuff.Re: EducationPresent scientific facts that support creationismIs this because he believes in it or is it his political way of saying, "Hey, good luck with that, Mr. Christian Scientist"?I mean, this is pretty low on my priority list, but I was curious.
That was interesting. I think I agree with him on a lot of stuff.Re: EducationPresent scientific facts that support creationismIs this because he believes in it or is it his political way of saying, "Hey, good luck with that, Mr. Christian Scientist"?I mean, this is pretty low on my priority list, but I was curious.
This made me read some of this link.I liked what I read.Can he win...or is he a throw away vote?
This made me read some of this link.I liked what I read.Can he win...or is he a throw away vote?
The problem is that he has one thing (at least) for everyone to hate. A lot of conservatives will hate his positions on drugs and gay marriage. A lot of liberals will hate his position on abortion and guns. And he won't bend his beliefs to get elected either (which is awesome but not helpful necessarily).I can't see him really being a factor but it would be nice if he could be one.
The problem is that he has one thing (at least) for everyone to hate. A lot of conservatives will hate his positions on drugs and gay marriage. A lot of liberals will hate his position on abortion and guns. And he won't bend his beliefs to get elected either (which is awesome but not helpful necessarily).I can't see him really being a factor but it would be nice if he could be one.
Thought his Gm position was reasonable, and I'm a rabid fundamentalist, I would think the less rabid side of my party would have even less of a problem.The drug thing....yea, we all know drugs are bad and will lead to death and infertility.In that order

I think I like Ron Paul now.I just wish he had not run so much on the Anti-War, get everyone out tomorrow platform. I think that was one of his biggest things that made him look crazy.I also don't understand his position on taxes. He wants to get rid of them and the IRS. Great, but how are we going to pay for basic governement?

RP will never get the Republican nomination, so no sense worrying too much about it. He's pretty much against everything that Republicans have done for the past 10 years (ie starting wars, spending money, regulating social values, etc)

I think the conservatives are more concerned about his foreign policy. He doesn't seem to believe terrorism is anything to worry about, and he seems to be an isolationist.
I think I like Ron Paul now.I just wish he had not run so much on the Anti-War, get everyone out tomorrow platform. I think that was one of his biggest things that made him look crazy.I also don't understand his position on taxes. He wants to get rid of them and the IRS. Great, but how are we going to pay for basic governement?
I think he could get away with being anti-Iraq war but anti war on terror isn't going to fly well. On this issue, RP is like Henry. I agree with them on about every issue, but, on this issue, they are just in a completely different realm from reality. I have tried to understand their position but it just doesn't jive with the years of data.Isn't Paul for a national sales tax, or was it a flat tax. I can't remember.
RP will never get the Republican nomination, so no sense worrying too much about it. He's pretty much against everything that Republicans have done for the past 10 years (ie starting wars, spending money, regulating social values, etc)
I hope a lot of people, especially those that support conservative and republican causes of the past, are against what the repubs have done the last 10 years.
He can win BG... Tell all of your friends. We need to treat him as legit, so that he will be. I voted for him in the last caucus, and I'll be doing that again next time.
Isn't Paul for a national sales tax, or was it a flat tax. I can't remember.
Neither.Doesn’t want flat tax or consumption tax. (Dec 2007)

Many lifetime politicians have large amounts of voters, but few real die-hards. Ron Paul's support only got stronger when he lost to McCain in the primaries as I recall. RP's support is mostly made up of die-hards, but is currently growing with independents mostly from the Tea Parties.If the main issue for the Tea Party is government spending and taxes, RP can't be beat as a legitimate candidate for them. He garnered more support then Huckabee, at least... if you considered him a legitimate candidate.Tea Party supporters have to ask themselves a real question, though. Is the issue of taxes and government spending more important then how they feel about the war going on?As more time drags on, more American lives are lost, and things seem as bad as ever, RP becomes a much more attractive candidate to those who were only warm to our government's war decision.For Democrats who believe in USA becoming a more global country, RP is your worst nightmare. RP will bring your troops home, but not because he's an anti-war hippie. He's doing it because he could care less about what other countries are doing. It's all about what's going on inside America's borders. As crappy as things are getting in this country, that doesn't sound so bad to a lot of people.Another thing to realize, if we vote RP as the next president, we aren't suddenly making America a Libertarian-style country. He gets 4-8 years just like any other president and then it's someone new. His views on certain topics are considered fringe thinking, but he doesn't have that much time to completely reshape everything.Personally, I used to be an avid RP supporter thinking that his election would change everything forever. I've learned that reality doesn't exactly work that way. I would still vote RP for president, though, specifically to shake things up. This is the guy that won't be bought by lobbyists. This is the guy that will be elected by the people and not special interests. When Obama says this, most of us laugh. RP certainly has the voting record of a couple decades to backup his claims, though. I think our country needs 4-8 years of reminding the government (and everyone who has special interest in what the government does), that it's the people who control who represents us. Even if he does have a few views that I disagree with.

Ron Paul is an anti-abortion creationist. I don't know if that question had been answered yet.the redeeming thing about him is that he's an advocate of following the rules, even when they work to his detriment.I don't know if I'd vote for him in a presidential election if he ran as a republican. Gotta sell your soul to do that, which means he'd probably abandon some of his better (more extreme) ideas.

I don't agree with RP on everything, he definitely has some fringe ideas. His end-the-fed back-to-the-gold-standard think has zero chance of going anywhere, probably ever. I totally disagree with him on immigration, he wants a wall, which is just stupidity. As Gary Johnson says, if we build a 10 foot wall, they'll build an 11 foot ladder.Someone said RP is against the war on terror; I don't think that is true. First, he wants the rules followed -- Congress declares war. Second, he's against the war in Iraq because it's just stupid to be there. I think he supports chasing bin Laden, but fighting the country where bin Laden happen to be for a while is a bit frivolous. RP is definitely in favor of civil rights and against things like warrantless wiretaps and the PATRIOT Act.On abortion, he believes in states rights, but good luck with that. He'd have to get an opening on the SC, and find a judge who thinks like that.I think he'd have a chance against Obama, but I don't see how RP can get through the Republican primaries. The old guard is determined to beat him, and will do whatever it takes to stop him.I think his biggest drawback is he'll be almost 80 by the next election.Gary Johnson is Ron Paul without the quirks. I actually agree with 99% of Gary Johnson, maybe 80% of Ron Paul.If you like Ron Paul, check out Johnson at:http://ouramericainitiative.com/ which is Johnson's official site,or http://johnsonforamerica.com/ which is not Johnson's site, but has links to speeches and stuff.Also, Johnson comes off like the guy next door who you invite to your parties.

I don't agree with RP on everything, he definitely has some fringe ideas. His end-the-fed back-to-the-gold-standard think has zero chance of going anywhere, probably ever. I totally disagree with him on immigration, he wants a wall, which is just stupidity. As Gary Johnson says, if we build a 10 foot wall, they'll build an 11 foot ladder.
accurate.
Correct. The truth of the matter is, we don't deserve a man like Ron Paul. We deserve Hussein. We deserve George Bushes. We deserve Hillary Clintons and Nancy Pelosis and Sarah Palins and whatever other vaseline-smiled, glad-handing politico faggots who come slithering down the pike, standing for nothing and unable to accomplish anything beyond soaring rhetoric and analysis-paralyzed 'big ideas' - which themselves are usually rooted in some sort of impractical, partisan, idealistic bullshit that only serves to dig our graves even deeper.We deserve American Idol and Dancing With the Stars, but we absolutely, positively do not deserve a man like Ron Paul.In this regard, Democracy couldn't be more meritocratic. It never, ever elects great candidates when the electorate is undeserving.
This is pretty much unavoidable with someone who states an actual platform. The politicians who are winning are the ones who commit to as little as possible and hope that people assume agreement on the other issues. I'd hope the voters were smarter than that, but apparently not.