• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't imagine trying to do GTO calcs in 6max NL. Even if it's possible, I wouldn't expect GTO to be as profitable as playing an exploitative stat that yields a higher win rate over a smaller sample of hands. When this becomes untrue, I think it's a pretty large game selection mistake.
Obviously exploitative strat. should be more profitable against people who don't adjust as quick as you. My point was more about unknowingly opening yourself up and trying to plug leaks that were formerly winning plays then GTO strat.
My biggest mistake is not detaching myself from my money. This prevented me from moving up in stakes for a long time. For the longest time I would play over-rolled for the stakes I was playing in. It also made me stressed out about moving up in levels. Basically I would nit up to the point that I would play horrible poker, even though I had the roll for the game.Anyways, it's something that I've recently got better at (the confidence in a higher stake game) but I still find myself glued to the cashier at all times. Perhaps I'm just a life nit.
geez wish i were u lol...(im an idiot with no bankroll management)

On-line (I play limit poker), I call down a bit too much. I have a read that I'm beat, but it is limit, so "it is just one more bet."Live, I play too quickly. I'm used to playing the fast on-line game, so I can make my decisions quickly. I see a flop and I instantly know if I am going to bet or check. But I often bet quicker than I check, which I think might be a tell that I hit the flop.Good thread Steve.Peace,Opie

too many mistakes to work on, and too many leaks to fixneed to work on reraising with key hands, and reading my opponents on line. Playing live I do much better as reading tells are what I do best at. Working more on HU and not playing much with suited connectors in earlier game positions. Definitely do not play when I am tired

Major weakness: "Most poker players feel that they are better players than they actually are, by any objective criteria." :club: The day I realized how bad a player I was in the grand scheme of things, my results improved. Gaining objectivity while retaining confidence is a real step forward IMHO.I regularly run into guys that feel that they are God's gift to the poker world with very little in the way of telling results. Objectivity also allows you to better evaluate situations in an even-handed way.Sorry for the pulpit pounding :ts but without sacrificing confidence, a reality check on "real poker skills" then working on them is the way to go.I have been watching DN hammering away (& getting hammered on :4h ) online in the $200/$400 NL games to address his play online and it is great to see even a top player addressing a weakness head-on ... unlike other top reputation players like Phil Hellmuth who have a permanent address in LaLa land declaring their poker Godhood ... :5c

I'll touch on a few these that I saw listed.Frustration calls- In limit games esp, you will often be priced into calling. I would lean more on the side of making correct decisions overall, and this should help you stay away from frustration calls. Now one of the things that will change this scenario a tiny bit is multi-tabling. Often the math can tell you that you should or shouldn't call. But if you aren't focused in on the situation at hand, you are missing additional info. As a rule of thumb.........you will be less frustrated the more you are winning. If you are getting frustrated, it could be that the money is beginning to bother you. And this is a sign of playing a limit that be out of your comfort zone.Playing tired- Yeah don't do that. Seriously.Not re-raising enough- This is often a sign of playing at stakes that are out of your comfort zone.Lacking the ability to multi-table- I'm not great at this either. If you're young, you have no excuse, lol. The best way to work on this is to start with a couple of tables at micro stakes and slowly ease your way up. In time you will become much better. It take practice. Again, I'm still not very good at it.Going on autopilot- This is a clear road to not making as much money as you should or could. And there is definintely no excuse for this esp if you aren't multi-tabling.Too attached to money- Very few poker players play below their br. Nothing wrong with playing in your comfort zone. As you grow more confident you will move up. I see no reason to rush things.

I have a tilting and quiting problem, that I only think I've now started to get a handle over.For example tonight I played a session, it wasn't a very long session, 2 table 250 hands of LHE. I thought I played extremely well, in that even though I lost about 20 BB's, I never tilted. When I started to get tired, and to the point where I wasn't giving 100 percent focus, I quit. In the past I have been to results oriented, staying far too long if I'm losing. When I'm winning, I make good quitting decisions, based on how tired I am, and if the table is tough, or still many weaker players. But when I'm losing I tend to stay far too long, until I'm exhausted or "beaten". It's a very terrible habit, and if I keep it, it's basically going to be impossible for me to win. Anyway, I think tonight was great because I think I played well, gave 100 percent effort, and quit when I started to lose focus ( and was self aware enough to recognize I was losing focus). I hope this is a sign of things to come.

Not being able to stick to a consistent playing schedule and grind.That leads to losing drive to play (like when it is 70 degrees in North Dakota in March)

Great topic.I find my big mistake is I have two speeds. Passive or Aggressive and I get stuck playing in either for an entire session which leads to frustration due to not being able to change gears (my own worst enemy). I also have a tough time taking my online playing style to a live table because here in Toronto having to drive a couple hours keeps me out of live play more.

My personal biggest flaw would simply be not thinking hands through. By that I mean accurately putting players on ranges, and acting accordingly (usually fail on the second part more than the first).But the biggest mistake I see from a lot of players is pure arrogance. Some players in the low limits think that they have most of the right answers, when the truth is that they are still in the learning process and are still making mistakes. And when players that play higher limits try to help them out, their ego gets in the way of taking the criticism in the right way.
This also happens alot on the tables too. You see so many reg dick waving contests it's stupid
I am mostly a 6max player. Ranges are tighter pre flop. Couldn't tell you much about anything HU NLHE.I have not studied GTO as a poker tracker stat averaged over all flops either. Between 55-65% seems to be around the standard for the winning players stats I have seen. edit: 85% cbet seems too high to not be exploitable though.
I know some very good regs with cbets around this!
Not being able to stick to a consistent playing schedule and grind.That leads to losing drive to play (like when it is 70 degrees in North Dakota in March)
QFT
I have a tilting and quiting problem, that I only think I've now started to get a handle over.For example tonight I played a session, it wasn't a very long session, 2 table 250 hands of LHE. I thought I played extremely well, in that even though I lost about 20 BB's, I never tilted. When I started to get tired, and to the point where I wasn't giving 100 percent focus, I quit. In the past I have been to results oriented, staying far too long if I'm losing. When I'm winning, I make good quitting decisions, based on how tired I am, and if the table is tough, or still many weaker players. But when I'm losing I tend to stay far too long, until I'm exhausted or "beaten". It's a very terrible habit, and if I keep it, it's basically going to be impossible for me to win. Anyway, I think tonight was great because I think I played well, gave 100 percent effort, and quit when I started to lose focus ( and was self aware enough to recognize I was losing focus). I hope this is a sign of things to come.
This is really good. Jen Harman used to say that she couldn't judge a player by watching them during a winning session. The only way to truly evaluate someone is to see how they play and react when they're losing.Most people look like geniuses, luckboxes, etc when they are winning. The real test of a poker player is how he/she conducts themselves during a losing session.Congrats on quitting when you were supposed to.
This also happens alot on the tables too. You see so many reg dick waving contests it's stupidI know some very good regs with cbets around this!
First sentence is such a Rdog thing to say. Second sentence, anecdotal evidence. Heck that would prove my original sentiment more then anything.
By far my biggest mistake is not putting in enough hands.
Word up. If I played more I would make so much fuc.king money. And I have the free time too. I'm on leave from college.
First sentence is such a Rdog thing to say. Second sentence, anecdotal evidence. Heck that would prove my original sentiment more then anything.
well rdog's a pretty smart guyand ??? what's your point? I'm just saying there are very very good winners with high cbets, as you said it's probably bad/leaky.
well rdog's a pretty smart guyand ??? what's your point? I'm just saying there are very very good winners with high cbets, as you said it's probably bad/leaky.
I love rdog and say it myself, Just stuck out at me as an rdog mannerism. Does anyone have a 85% cbet at DN's 100/200 games running on stars atm ? I actually don't know as I haven't been watching. I would assume that considering there is a player pool of around 15 different sickos in that game. If no one has a 85 % cbet then it must be a leak. especially considering CTS is present. If the best players can't make it profitable vs the top guns, then there must be an inherent error about that much aggression. Which if you look back at my original post, pretty much is the point.

I'm not sure this is a problem, and I'm not even sure it is accurrate, but it seems that way.When I'm ready to quit and I'm happy that I made a nice win, I usually decide to play util the blinds get back to me, and it seems like I end up in a hand where I lose a few bets much more often than I win a hand. For instance, when I plan on quitting, in those last few hands, I'll get dealt AK, raise, miss the flop completely, and eventually lose the hand, giving away some of the profit I hoped to bank.It doesn't seem like a leak to see hands for free, and I know that I'm playing the hands correctly. Maybe I win as much as I lose, but it sure seems like the bad result happens much more than the good one. I'm at the point that in my last orbit I'm hopnig for hands that are easy to fold.Peace,Opie