Rolling Stone's Top 100 Songs Of The Decade

http://www.rollingstone.com/news/sto..._the_decade/271 | Gnarls Barkley — "Crazy"2 | Jay-Z — "99 Problems"3 | Beyoncé — "Crazy in Love"4 | Outkast — "Hey Ya!"5 | M.I.A. — "Paper Planes"6 | The White Stripes — "Seven Nation Army"7 | Yeah Yeah Yeahs — "Maps"8 | Amy Winehouse — "Rehab"9 | U2 — "Beautiful Day"10 | Eminem — "Stan"11 | MGMT — "Time to Pretend"12 | Eminem — "Lose Yourself"13 | 50 Cent — "In Da Club"14 | Missy Elliott — "Get Ur Freak On"15 | Johnny Cash — "Hurt"16 | The Strokes — "Last Nite"17 | Bob Dylan — "Mississippi"18 | Kelly Clarkson — "Since U Been Gone"19 | Kanye West — "Jesus Walks"20 | Justin Timberlake — "Cry Me a River"21 | OutKast — "B.O.B."22 | Amerie — "1 Thing"23 | Rihanna — "Umbrella"24 | Radiohead — "Everything in Its Right Place"25 | Missy Elliott — "Work It"26 | Coldplay — "Clocks"27 | The Postal Service — "Such Great Heights"28 | Randy Newman — "A Few Words in Defense of Our Country"29 | Kanye West — "Gold Digger"30 | R. Kelly — "Ignition (Remix)"31 | The Flaming Lips — "Do You Realize?"32 | Franz Ferdinand — "Take Me Out"33 | Daft Punk — "One More Time"34 | Coldplay — "Yellow"35 | Bruce Springsteen — "The Rising"36 | U2 — "Moment of Surrender"37 | LCD Soundsystem — "Losing My Edge"38 | Gorillaz — "Clint Eastwood"39 | Modest Mouse — "Float On"40 | Kelis — "Milkshake"41 | LCD Soundsystem — "All My Friends"42 | Arcade Fire — "Wake Up"43 | The Roots — "The Seed (2.0)"44 | Britney Spears — "Toxic"45 | Kylie Minogue — "Can't Get You Out of My Head"46 | MGMT — "Kids"47 | Green Day — "American Idiot"48 | The Killers — "Mr. Brightside"49 | The Walkmen — "The Rat"50 | Beyoncé — "Single Ladies"51 | D'Angelo — "Untitled (How Does It Feel)"52 | Christina Aguilera — "Beautiful"53 | The Rapture — "House of Jealous Lovers"54 | Coldplay — "The Scientist"55 | OutKast — "Ms. Jackson"56 | Radiohead — "Idioteque"57 | The Shins — "New Slang"58 | The White Stripes — "Fell In Love With a Girl"59 | The Strokes — "Hard to Explain"60 | Beyoncé — "Irreplaceable"61 | Jet — "Are You Gonna Be My Girl"62 | Alicia Keys — "Fallin'"63 | Lil Wayne — "A Milli"64 | U2 — "Vertigo"65 | Green Day — "Boulevard of Broken Dreams"66 | Madonna — "Music"67 | Wilco — "Jesus, Etc."68 | Coldplay — "Viva La Vida"69 | Santigold — "L.E.S. Artistes"70 | Arctic Monkeys — "I Bet You Look Good on the Dance Floor"71 | Justice — "D.A.N.C.E."72 | Kings of Leon — "Use Somebody"73 | Queens of the Stone Age — "No One Knows"74 | TV on the Radio — "Wolf Like Me"75 | Arcade Fire — "Rebellion (Lies)"76 | Madonna — "Hung Up"77 | Dixie Chicks — "Not Ready to Make Nice"78 | LCD Soundsystem — "Daft Punk is Playing at My House"79 | Robert Plant and Alison Krauss — "Gone Gone Gone"80 | Phoenix — "1901"81 | Pink — "Get The Party Started"82 | Jay-Z — "Dirt Off Your Shoulder"83 | The Gossip — "Standing in the Way of Control"84 | The Clipse — "Grindin'"85 | The Dirty Projectors — "Stillness Is the Move"86 | Aaliyah — "Try Again"87 | The Knife — "Heartbeats"88 | Jay-Z — "Izzo (H.O.V.A.)"89 | Bright Eyes — "Lua"90 | Midlake — "Roscoe"91 | Bruce Springsteen — "My City of Ruins"92 | Brad Paisley — "Alcohol"93 | Snoop Dogg — "Drop It Like It's Hot"94 | Radiohead — "Pyramid Song"95 | Mary J. Blige — "Family Affair"96 | Lady Gaga — "Poker Face"97 | Fleet Foxes — "White Winter Hymnal"98 | Amy Winehouse — "Back to Black"99 | Gorillaz — "Feel Good Inc."100 | Damian Marley — "Welcome to Jamrock"Maybe I'm just getting old but this list is still junk.
  • Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wasn't most of Tool's best work in the 90's? I thought so. Maybe some A Perfect Circle? Hey, I'm a fan of Tool either way. They don't care about these lists.

"The little shit looks harmless, but he does represent the magazine that trashed 'Layla,' broke up Cream and ripped every album Led Zeppelin ever made."

Wasn't most of Tool's best work in the 90's? I thought so. Maybe some A Perfect Circle?
If you want to call it "best". but yeah, obv they would be in contention for a 90's list, not an ought list
8 | Amy Winehouse — "Rehab"9 | U2 — "Beautiful Day"what?
ain't nothing wrong with rehab. Beautiful day, on the other hand...It's a weird list, they are trying to cover all genres, and covering none of them well. U2 having 3 songs on this list is a complete joke. I was an old u2 fan, but they have been really, really terrible for a long time now.. and beautiful day is utterly vapid.I'm happy paper planes is so high, but it's shocking that it's fifth. I think it raised like 30 spots or more based purely on her pregnant grammy ( mtv music award?) performance. Pokerface needs to be about 50 spots higher.. mark my words, people are going to look back at the last couple years as the beginning of the Lady Gaga era.
ain't nothing wrong with rehab.
sure. I just have no idea why they think it's the 8th best song released in the years 2000-2009.I don't like being the overly serious list analyst guy. Initially, I just did a ctrl+f for elliott smith and dismissed it altogether.
sure. I just have no idea why they think it's the 8th best song released in the years 2000-2009.I don't like being the overly serious list analyst guy. Initially, I just did a ctrl+f for elliott smith and dismissed it altogether.
Elliott Smith wrote his best stuff in the late 90's, imo.

This list is so bad because I can't imagine any real person having taste in music that would result in these choices. It's list by committee, aimed at appealing to all but satisfying no one.But, who cares, it's Rolling Stone, no one has cared about them since 1979.

Elliott Smith wrote his best stuff in the late 90's, imo.
This is irrelevant in my opinion. Inclusion in a list of top songs of a decade should only comparative to other songs released that decade, not to the artist/group's entire body of work. Some of the stuff that made me think "huh?":66 | Madonna — "Music"19 | Kanye West — "Jesus Walks"3 | Beyoncé — "Crazy in Love" vs. 50 | Beyoncé — "Single Ladies"They definitely tried to represent a lot of genres. Some of the inclusions seem like 'token' mentions (Fleet Foxes at 97, Bright Eyes at 89, Pink at 81 etc). I think they give too much weight to some rap/r'n'b artists in this list. I would put "Ms Jackson" and "Single Ladies" higher. I like "Paper Planes" up there near the top. Those 3 songs (among others on the list) have a unique style and a new sound, compared with some of the more generic/less innovative songs. So overall, yeah, this list is pretty bad. What you guys said.
66 | Madonna — "Music"19 | Kanye West — "Jesus Walks"3 | Beyoncé — "Crazy in Love" vs. 50 | Beyoncé — "Single Ladies"
Jesus walks was a huge club song, and there was a lot of buzz about it because it was a "christian song" getting played in the clubs. Prob a bit high, but it was the break out hit for Kanye, who love him or hate him, is one of the more significant artists of the decade.I agree 100 percent about single ladies, I think that might be beyonce's best song. re: paper planes. . Oh, I agree.. I really love that song, I'm just saying I'm surprised it's so high, I didn't realize it was that big of a hit ( or that well regarded) to be listed so high by Rolling stone. I would also like to bemoan the utter absence of the black eyed peas and fergie from this list. Surely there is a spot on this pop/rb/hip hop list for my humps or fergilicious. Assholes.I mean, obviously this list is a joke, rolling stone has been irrelevant since.. ****.. I don't remember when it was relevant. Given the fate of the magazine and news industry, I would guess rolling stone will be out of business within the next 5-7 years. But it's fun to bs about stuff like this.
This is irrelevant in my opinion. Inclusion in a list of top songs of a decade should only comparative to other songs released that decade, not to the artist/group's entire body of work.
Sorry, let me be more specific.Smith killed himself in 2003, and only released one album in the decade (Figure 8, which came out in late 2000). It wasn't his best album and probably doesn't have any of the top songs of the 2000's.
~debatable~Let's just say he died in 2003, and you don't rate Figure 8 as having any top 100 worthy songs. Fair enough.
Oh, yeah, there's a good chance she murdered him. I was just being diplomatic.

my own top 20 list of the decade, in no particular order.. only one song by artist, or my list would be filled with outkast, jayz and radio headbombs over bagdad outkastpaper planes mianational anthem (radiohead)my girls animal collective poker face ( cartman version)the take over jayzarchangel burial party hard andrew w kwamp wamp clipsedo you realize flaming lipsbin laden immortal technique hip hop dead prezlily allen smileamy winehouse rehabi fought in a war belle and sebastian bad babysitter princess superstarstan eminemkanye west diamonds for serra leoneI'm also putting Holland 1945 on this list unoffically, because Aeroplane came out in 1998, but who the hell ever heard Neutral Milk Hotel before 2000..

Oh, yeah, there's a good chance she murdered him. I was just being diplomatic.
Holy shit, I had no idea there was a murder poss. That's a shame if it's true, because it is pretty much the most hard core emo way to kill yourself ever, and worthy way for Elliot Smith to go.
Holy shit, I had no idea there was a murder poss. That's a shame if it's true, because it is pretty much the most hard core emo way to kill yourself ever, and worthy way for Elliot Smith to go.
I am 95% sure she did it (women's intuition) but agree it would be a badass way to go. Almost as hardcore as seppuku.
I am 95% sure she did it (women's intuition) but agree it would be a badass way to go. Almost as hardcore as seppuku.
I would argue that taking a steak knife and driving it through your own breast plate into your own heart is perhaps more hardcore than seppuku. At least step has some ritual tradition and cultural acceptance, and you have a assistant to cut your head off or w/e if things go bad.
I would argue that taking a steak knife and driving it through your own breast plate into your own heart is perhaps more hardcore than seppuku. At least step has some ritual tradition and cultural acceptance, and you have a assistant to cut your head off or w/e if things go bad.
I think seppuku is usually a slower and more painful way to die, plus it involves not just stabbing but also slicing through your own flesh despite the pain and gore which seems tougher psychologically to me. Also I think you mean sternum/breastbone, since the breastplate is an item of clothing or armour.
I think seppuku is usually a slower and more painful way to die, plus it involves not just stabbing but also slicing through your own flesh despite the pain and gore which seems tougher psychologically to me. Also I think you mean sternum/breastbone, since the breastplate is an item of clothing or armour.
well, yes I do mean that.. but driving a knife through your own plate armor, into your own heart, at, say, a Renaissance faire, would be a pretty amazing way to go.
well, yes I do mean that.. but driving a knife through your own plate armor, into your own heart, at, say, a Renaissance faire, would be a pretty amazing way to go.
The knife would have to be made of something really bitchin'... like a laser, or a lightsaber. Though anything done at a Renaissance Faire is by definition uncool.
The knife would have to be made of something really bitchin'... like a laser, or a lightsaber. Though anything done at a Renaissance Faire is by definition uncool.
I don't know what could possibly be cooler than killing yourself with a light saber through a suit of armor at a renaissance faire. I guess that's where you and I differ.