The Offical Edmonton Oilers Thread!

I m not sure they are quite ready, what do you guys think they have done to improve the defense?

Acquired Ference, signed Smid, aged Schultz, taught the young forwards about defensive responsibilities...

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's the one on the right, isn't he?  

Based on talent...Colorado. Based on money...Edmonton.

Since Bryzgalov joined the team, they are unbeaten and have outscored the opposition 11-1. Ya, he hasn't played yet, but its obvious Ilya's presence in the room has made a world of difference.

Acquired Ference, signed Smid, aged Schultz, taught the young forwards about defensive responsibilities...

Still think they need a couple more..I really like their forward core..

Dubnyk is also pending UFA and looks to have a big year IMO..He is up for huge money..

He really is one of the most contentious goalies out there -- no one can seem to agree on how good he actually is!

The numbers he put up the last couple of years with bad teams was impressive..Put him on the Bruins, Hawks and he might be a superstar..

Dave agree?

Could just be the Team1200... there's one guy in particular that thinks he's a scrub. they need a different 'tender to take them to the next level. Personally I don't recall ever catching a game with him in nets so i'm just going on hearsay.

He had a long, slow progression through the minor leagues. He was a first round pick that didn't come in as a superstar at 20 or whatever like some other guys did. A lot of people made up their mind about him a long time ago. Add in the fact that he has played on exclusively terirble teams for his entire career, and he hasn't got that "winners" reputation.

I think his numbers for the last 3 years are very impressive, without even taking into account how terrible the Oilers have been. I am looking forward to him playing behind a half decent team for once.

I m not sure they are quite ready, what do you guys think they have done to improve the defense?

their actual D core is still weak. Team defense can only get better though, and Perron, Ference, and Eakins should help a lot with that.

I think the Oilers might need someone with goon-like qualities to put an end to their young stars getting run.

There you go..You were right.

They claimed Steve Macintyre..

Face puncher.

• 3 weeks later...

To follow up on Arp s post in other thread.

Maybe they built the team like a fantasy team. The defence needs a lot of work. I know they are missing Gagner but they are really weak down the middle.

Have so much young game breaking talent though.

Lot of people over estimated this team. They are still a few years and few pieces away from being competitive.

I always have said you can't just build thru draft. They need pieces that they need to acquire through trade and free agency.

What team would you rather have? Edmonton or Colorado?

Colorado Avalanche

Colorado Rockies

Denver Broncos

Colorado Springs Sky sox

Colorado State Rams

Denver Nuggets

Colorado Rapids

I'll take any of them.

Colorado Avalanche

Colorado Rockies

Denver Broncos

Colorado Springs Sky sox

Colorado State Rams

Denver Nuggets

Colorado Rapids

I'll take any of them.

Maybe you wont have to follow them anymore...The bro gets a trade or signs a deal with a new team next year.

I am thinking the Buffalo Sabres...

Mc79hockey, one of the smartest dudes on twitter, thinks the oilers have played better in these 4 games than any 4 game stretch last year.

Hockey is heavily influenced by luck over small samples. It's a long (though not necessarily statistically significantly long) season.

Mc79hockey, one of the smartest dudes on twitter, thinks the oilers have played better in these 4 games than any 4 game stretch last year.

Hockey is heavily influenced by luck over small samples. It's a long (though not necessarily statistically significantly long) season.

he's watching different games than I am.

I'm not saying they can't turn it around, Eakins deserves time, but they have been awful.

They've gone through stretched of playing decent hockey, but it's always capped off by a catastrophic turnover that results in a 2-on-1 or breakaway or tap-in goal.

Taylor Hall looks like a steaming pile of crap so far this year. His third star nomination from last night is hilarious. He was awful in the game. He tries the same stupid move every time he crosses the blue line and more often than not, it results in a turnover. He's one of the dumbest hockey players I have ever watched, if not the dumbest. His elite talent level gets him by, and gets him points, but I do not believe that he is providing a positive expectation to the team at this point.

Ryan Smyth is no longer an NHL calibre forward.

Players like Petry who should be getting better are looking worse.

They don't produce quality scoring chances with any kind of consistency. They give up prime oppurtunites with alarming consistency.

Also, I disagree that MC79hockey is one of the smartest dudes on twitter. He is one of the bloggers with the most time on his hands to micro-analyze stats. He certainly thinks he's one of the smartest guys on twitter,

I do believe that Fancy stats are a valid tool, and can give us excellent insight into the game. I do not believe that they tell the whole story, and they can't be relied on 100% as the only tool to evaluate teams and players.