The Offical Edmonton Oilers Thread!

I think a lot of you are missing how the trophies work..

The writers(or whomever) vote on a candidate..The top 3 vote getters are the finalists.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's the one on the right, isn't he?  

Based on talent...Colorado. Based on money...Edmonton.

Since Bryzgalov joined the team, they are unbeaten and have outscored the opposition 11-1. Ya, he hasn't played yet, but its obvious Ilya's presence in the room has made a world of difference.

and let us not forget that Yakupov eats borscht

honestly, I think if he was Canadian we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I think there were 5 reasonable candidates this season and no outstanding no brainer ones so whoever ended up 4th and 5th there would be questions.

Lets not forget the East/West angle..

I personally didnt watch more than a couple of games this year involving West teams...Not for the obvious reason of games being late , but also this year none of those teams came to the East to play.

I bet this has something to do with it too.

Goals are goals, and they all count the same.

Depends. They count the same on the scoreboard. They don't count the same in NHL award voting when your team has already been eliminated and your opponents are protecting their players for the playoffs.

Depends. They count the same on the scoreboard. They don't count the same in NHL award voting when your team has already been eliminated and your opponents are protecting their players for the playoffs.

He scored 2 against Minnesota, a team that desperately needed a win.

I think the only reason the goals didn't count as much is because a lot of people had already voted before the last few games of the year, which is kind of dumb.

For what it's worth, I don't think it's outrageous that he wasn't nominated. There were 5 or 6 guys that were all pretty close, but I do think he is the best of the bunch, and had arguably the best season of the bunch, and should have been nominated.

At the Sportscard Expo had some guys drop by the booth and they were Oiler fans. Talking about who they should get rid of and the consensus was Yakupov. I said it should be RNH. Then I start the conversation about Dubey and they did not like him. I of course defended him stating that the Oilers did not have a bonafide defenseman to clear traffic and how are you getting by with Whitney, the 2 Schultz, Smid, Potter, Petry, etc. The only guy I would want is Schultz since he can score and that was it.

I do believe I was able to change their opinion on Dubey.

If I was going to trade one of the big 4, my order would be :

1. Hall - I think he is going to spend a lot of time on the IR in his career. He's like Brett Lawrie on skates. A little too amped up, struggles ot slow the game down to a manageable level. His trade value may never be higher after the year he had. He's the most likely guy to land you a franchise defenseman without adding a bunch of other stuff.

2. Eberle - The fancy stats guys say that his big year was an aberration and that maybe 60 points is a more reasonable expectation for him going forward. he is a great player, but IF you are going to trade one of the guys, I would trade the one that is on a $6m/year contract rather than RNH or Yakupov who are cost controlled for a few more years.

3. Yakupov - see above. Cost controlled, will be an elite sniper

4. RNH - Will be the best player of the bunch, IMO. His numbers were not a true indicator of his play this year. He is a fantastic possession player. I believe his finishing ability, which was weak this year, was negatively affected by his shoulder injury. He will come back next year and be better than ever. He is cost controlled for another couple of years.

If I was going to trade one of the big 4, my order would be :

1. Hall - I think he is going to spend a lot of time on the IR in his career. He's like Brett Lawrie on skates. A little too amped up, struggles ot slow the game down to a manageable level. His trade value may never be higher after the year he had. He's the most likely guy to land you a franchise defenseman without adding a bunch of other stuff.

2. Eberle - The fancy stats guys say that his big year was an aberration and that maybe 60 points is a more reasonable expectation for him going forward. he is a great player, but IF you are going to trade one of the guys, I would trade the one that is on a $6m/year contract rather than RNH or Yakupov who are cost controlled for a few more years.

3. Yakupov - see above. Cost controlled, will be an elite sniper

4. RNH - Will be the best player of the bunch, IMO. His numbers were not a true indicator of his play this year. He is a fantastic possession player. I believe his finishing ability, which was weak this year, was negatively affected by his shoulder injury. He will come back next year and be better than ever. He is cost controlled for another couple of years.

When you say franchise defenceman, what sort of player are you looking for:

Erik Karlsson

Luke Schenn

Erik Karlsson

Luke Schenn

more likely a Keith Yandle type.

I guess it would of been nice if they got the first overall pick again and go for Seth Jones.

4. RNH - Will be the best player of the bunch, IMO.

wow. Thats interesting coming from you who watches a lot.

I love RNH, and I think this year was just one of those aberrations/soph jinx type years, but I wonder if he will be just as injury prone as you think Hall will be. It will be interesting to see this all play out.

fwiw, Im not convinced that what Edmonton needs is just 1 top franchise D. I think they need to shake up their fwd lines too, all this weak D doesnt stop by having Weber on the ice for half a game.

Erik Karlsson

Luke Schenn

Shea Weber

OEL

Drew Doughty

Ryan Suter

PK Subban

etc..

Basically guys that don't get traded. But I wouldn't trade one of the big 4 unless someone like that was coming back. Not sure if Yandle is good enough, maybe.

fwiw, Im not convinced that what Edmonton needs is just 1 top franchise D. I think they need to shake up their fwd lines too, all this weak D doesnt stop by having Weber on the ice for half a game.

nah, they are still a lottery team, even with Shea Weber. It's just one of the things they need to adress. They need about 6 new forwards and 3 new defensemen. They should have claimed Jussi Jokinen on waivers. They should have traded for Jay Bouwmeester.

Shea Weber

OEL

Drew Doughty

Ryan Suter

PK Subban

etc..

Basically guys that don't get traded. But I wouldn't trade one of the big 4 unless someone like that was coming back. Not sure if Yandle is good enough, maybe.

Ya those guys are tough to acquire in a trade, unless your GM has the balls to pull of a Burkeian type move...But at this stage thats what they need...Taylor hall or Yakupov might get back a guy like that.

wow. Thats interesting coming from you who watches a lot.

I love RNH, and I think this year was just one of those aberrations/soph jinx type years, but I wonder if he will be just as injury prone as you think Hall will be. It will be interesting to see this all play out.

I think Hall and Yak will probably have higher points totals, but he is already a reliable two way center that drives posession in the right direction, and he is only 20. He doesn't make many/any mistakes already. He is going to be the glue that holds the rest of the team together, like Bergeron in Boston, and will be their perennial MVP, even if he doesn't always get recognition for it. He's also a good kid with his head on straight and is not a primadonna unlike a couple other guys on the team.

nah, they are still a lottery team, even with Shea Weber. It's just one of the things they need to adress. They need about 6 new forwards and 3 new defensemen. They should have claimed Jussi Jokinen on waivers. They should have traded for Jay Bouwmeester.

Dont let the Zach commentary fool you, Jussi is pretty bad defensively.

I think they should have gotten a Torres type. And then tried to get one of the best 3rd line centres in the game, who can play well defensively+take draws.

To Edm: Bouwmeester, Oshie/Backes, Sobotka

To Stl: ____________ (insert star name here, ie Hall)

To Edm: Yandle, Michalek, Hanzal

To Phx: Hall

just vomiting random ideas

Both of those trades would be great for Edmonton, but probably not realistic. hmm, Maybe the second one, though I think Phoenix is pretty high on Hanzal.

I don't see St. Louis giving Backes or Oshie back as part of that first deal. Maybe Berglund or Perron?

Bouwmeester's contract ends in 2014 and Sobotka seems like a thrown-in; I think STL has enough depth to consider a move like that.

Sobotka isn't a throw in. Very solid 3rd liner who drives possession. I was thinking about trying to get him to the Penguins to replace Cooke, but I think he'll be more expensive than Cooke, unfortunately. Both are UFAs at the end of the year, IIRC.

Bouwmeester's contract ends in 2014 and Sobotka seems like a thrown-in; I think STL has enough depth to consider a move like that.

Thats what I was thinking, what teams have depth but a dearth of top player(s). I think Sobotka is a pretty good player, esp as a 3rd line C. Bouw eats minutes, but Id rather Edm get someone better if at all possible. Oshie/Backes is the power fwd they need imo.