The Offical Edmonton Oilers Thread!

This team is ****ing awful. Also, they are not a "young and exciting team" as so many people who obviously don't spend any time watching the oilers love to say. Young? yes. Exciting? God no.

They were at the start of the year, were they not? I recall watching a few games late jan/early Feb that were quite fast and dramatic. Granted, what I find exciting (them blowing 3goal leads or giving up lots of chances) a fan of the team may not.

• Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's the one on the right, isn't he?  

Based on talent...Colorado. Based on money...Edmonton.

Since Bryzgalov joined the team, they are unbeaten and have outscored the opposition 11-1. Ya, he hasn't played yet, but its obvious Ilya's presence in the room has made a world of difference.

They were at the start of the year, were they not? I recall watching a few games late jan/early Feb that were quite fast and dramatic. Granted, what I find exciting (them blowing 3goal leads or giving up lots of chances) a fan of the team may not.

they've had a couple games this year where they played a consistant, dynamic, and exciting brand of hockey. Both games against Colorado, maybe the opener against Vancouver, and a recent win against Dallas. Outside of that, the "style" of hockey they are playing is boring, with little to no generated offense, and probably less than 5 minutes of sustained offensive zone pressure per game. Couple that with an infuriating number of defensive gaffes, the worst gap control I've ever seen, the easiest zone entries I've ever seen and no grit, no identity, no intensity, seemingly no interest in winning at all. This makes it eye-gougingly infuriating to watch them as a fan, and even moreso as a Goalie's brother, heh.

I don't know what is wrong with them, to be honest. I knew they weren't going to be a great team this year, but the complete lack of offense is mind-boggling. Hall and gagner are getting points, but Hall makes bonehead plays 5 times a game and is easily contained at key times in the game. Eberle has looked lost for the last month and a half, and RNH doesn't look like an NHL calibre player this year. I don't really have any worries about those three is the long term but something is up with them this year. As far as the team defense goes, something drastic needs to change, because it is truly embarassing. Just watching a Leafs game then an Oilers game back to back like I have many times this year is like night and day for overall team defense, and that's the Leafs I am comparing them to; not exactly renowned as a defensive juggernaut.

they've had a couple games this year where they played a consistant, dynamic, and exciting brand of hockey. Both games against Colorado, maybe the opener against Vancouver, and a recent win against Dallas. Outside of that, the "style" of hockey they are playing is boring, with little to no generated offense, and probably less than 5 minutes of sustained offensive zone pressure per game. Couple that with an infuriating number of defensive gaffes, the worst gap control I've ever seen, the easiest zone entries I've ever seen and no grit, no identity, no intensity, seemingly no interest in winning at all. This makes it eye-gougingly infuriating to watch them as a fan, and even moreso as a Goalie's brother, heh.

I don't know what is wrong with them, to be honest. I knew they weren't going to be a great team this year, but the complete lack of offense is mind-boggling. Hall and gagner are getting points, but Hall makes bonehead plays 5 times a game and is easily contained at key times in the game. Eberle has looked lost for the last month and a half, and RNH doesn't look like an NHL calibre player this year. I don't really have any worries about those three is the long term but something is up with them this year. As far as the team defense goes, something drastic needs to change, because it is truly embarassing. Just watching a Leafs game then an Oilers game back to back like I have many times this year is like night and day for overall team defense, and that's the Leafs I am comparing them to; not exactly renowned as a defensive juggernaut.

From what you are describing, maybe a coaching change is needed?

It seems like they have the talent on paper..Some people even picked them to compete for a cup this year(ya far fetched, but they did)..Maybe a new coach would help?

they have a new coach, and the player's all love him, including Devan. With that said, I'd fire him right now and hire Lindy Ruff if he'd take the job, but Tambellini doesn't have the balls to do it. I don't know if Krueger is the problem, but his team isn't performing at all, and I have no idea how long his leash is.

btw..My son the aspiring rep goalie..Has taken a liking to Dubey(the goalie)...He doesnt get to watch too many Oilers games because of time, but when he does he loves them..

I told him unfortuntely you probably wont grow that much but he is a good goalie to model yourself after..

• 2 months later...

So Nail Yakupov leads all rookies in scoring with 17 goals..Tied with 31 pts.

Is not a finalist for ROY!!!

Come on man..

Gallagher, Huberdeau, and Saad are the nominees... No Yakupov? No Brodin?

Everyone gets votes, just the top 3 are finalists.

Yeah, Yakapov was -1 billion and scored a lot of points after EDM was already out of it and Brodin plays defensive d. What's the surprise here? Who would you remove from the three nominees?

Gallagher, Huberdeau, and Saad are the nominees... No Yakupov? No Brodin?

Brodin is the real injustice.

The award is voted on by writers and broadcasters and a lot of them probably don't look beyond the box score.

Yakupov got hot in the last 3 games and by then voters probably had already made their decisions and it's not like he scored that much more than the 3 forwards who ended up as finalists.

Huberdeau was the early fav while Gallagher and Saad played really important roles on top teams which helped them.

Yeah, Yakapov was -1 billion and scored a lot of points after EDM was already out of it and Brodin plays defensive d. What's the surprise here? Who would you remove from the three nominees?

Yakupov -4...Huberdeau -15

And the only reason you care, Serge, is because he's on the Mustangs.

Whats wrong with that?

And the only reason you care, Serge, is because he's on the Mustangs.

Fantasy hockey is the only reason I care about Saad.

If Yakupov scoring points once they are out of the running counts against him, then Huberdeau should be nowhere near this conversation, given that Florida was out of the running about 3 months ago.

Fantasy hockey is the only reason I care about Saad.

Yes, but if Saad weren't nominated you wouldn't be all shocked and outraged.

Yes, but if Saad weren't nominated you wouldn't be all shocked and outraged.

sure I would because that would decrease his trade value

I see Dubey lurking.

Would like to hear his opinion on Yakupov's rookie season.

honestly, I think if he was Canadian we wouldn't be having this conversation.

I think he's going to be a star. This season, he was explosive offensively and a bit of a disaster defensively. I think he deserved to be nominated, but I'm not surprised that he isn't. He got a lot of negative attention for his over exuberance. I'd be shocked if he doesn't turn out to be the best player out of this crop of rookies by a long shot.

Has there ever been another player lead all rookies in scoring and not get nominated for the Calder?