The Offical Edmonton Oilers Thread!

So your $50 against my $25. First to win Cup. I have Edmonton and you have Washington and Toronto. Booked.I have $75 more to wager on this if anyone else is interested.
I'd do the Caps and my favourite team, the Blackhawks.
  • Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's the one on the right, isn't he?  

Based on talent...Colorado. Based on money...Edmonton.

Since Bryzgalov joined the team, they are unbeaten and have outscored the opposition 11-1. Ya, he hasn't played yet, but its obvious Ilya's presence in the room has made a world of difference.

• 2 weeks later...

While in an altered state of consciousness last night, I had an idea. I was going to send it as a PM, but what the hell...Dave, your brother should be filming a documentary about what it's like to be battling for a job as an NHL goalie. Given the fact that he's battling for a job on a team loaded with young talented players, I think it would be very interesting.Get on it!

While in an altered state of consciousness last night, I had an idea. I was going to send it as a PM, but what the hell...Dave, your brother should be filming a documentary about what it's like to be battling for a job as an NHL goalie. Given the fact that he's battling for a job on a team loaded with young talented players, I think it would be very interesting.Get on it!
It's a great idea but I'd have to think the NHL wouldn't allow it.
It's a great idea but I'd have to think the NHL wouldn't allow it.
I think they may. The Oilers did a doc back when in the Gretzky days...I think it was called the Boys on the Bus or something like that. Also, I thought they were making some sort of doc on the Caps and Pens to be shown sometime around the heritage game.
Why not?They're filming the HBO Winter Classic documentary.
"They" is the key word here. The NHL might make this kind of doc, or allow someone else to oif they maintained significant control over the process, but they wouldn't just allow someone else to make it.
"They" is the key word here. The NHL might make this kind of doc, or allow someone else to oif they maintained significant control over the process, but they wouldn't just allow someone else to make it.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying. The NHL isn't going to let a player shoot a documentary that he could conceivably make millions of dollars on (not that any money is a given, but the big time docs like Michael Moore and Supersize Me definitely made $$$ and that isn't going to happen on their time, with their players, teams, logos, etc without a big chunk of change going to the league.

Anybody who wants to film a documentary would have to cut the NHL, teams, players, etc into the deal. It's not like you could just show up and film shit and make millions. I assumed that would have been understood.

Anybody who wants to film a documentary would have to cut the NHL, teams, players, etc into the deal. It's not like you could just show up and film shit and make millions. I assumed that would have been understood.
ya, I would have assumed this too. Especially any shots in the arena, team bus...so on.And I agree with Serge. If its a realistic insider portrait, Id watch the Jeff Drouin Deslauriers story of making it in the AHL and being traded to Phoenicc over Alex Ovechkin's goals doc anyday.

It would definitely be cool, I'd watch. One of the best parts of my Band of Brothers Blu-Ray box set is the video diary that Ron Livingston shot of the boot camp he and the rest of the cast went through prior to shooting it. I love behind the scenes stuff.

FINE

Posted this in the other thread too..The documentary on the Oilers on TSN right now is amazing..OIL CHANGE..Must see.

Actually, The NHL made this deal with HBO about a year or so ago. In a very VERY clever move, the evil dictator Bettman realized it was a supreme opportunity to expose the game to non-hockey fans just prior to the US television contracts for the NHL coming up for renewal. The only people that made money from this were the players union who got standard licensing fees for the use of the players' images.... I dont like bettman much, but this one is brilliant. Actually, I heard it's the COO's idea, Collins, but whatever...

Well, they're still getting some consideration for it, even if it's just the value of publicity in the HBO case. They're still "cutting the NHL in" with something of value, as I said.I wish I hadn't missed that Oilers doc last night, and I'm excited for this one.

I haven't watched any of it yet, but I was under the impression that the 'Oil CHange' thing was a running series of 1/2 hour docs. I could be wrong though.

I haven't watched any of it yet, but I was under the impression that the 'Oil CHange' thing was a running series of 1/2 hour docs. I could be wrong though.
its a must see..Its amazing war room stuff, from draft preparations to the first game of the year..it was an hour..

In other news, I'm going to Edmonton tomorrow. Going to catch the Sharks/oilers game on saturday night. I'll see how those rookies look live. I'm looking forward to it

In other news, I'm going to Edmonton tomorrow. Going to catch the Sharks/oilers game on saturday night. I'll see how those rookies look live. I'm looking forward to it
you should call Tom Renney to ensure that Devan gets the start...

lol, I think he'll actually be in the press box if it continues on the same pattern it has been. They've been rotating the two guys in the backup spot. The games are so spaced out right now that they can afford to give Khabi every start for awhile.

lol, I think he'll actually be in the press box if it continues on the same pattern it has been. They've been rotating the two guys in the backup spot. The games are so spaced out right now that they can afford to give Khabi every start for awhile.
Maybe you can invite Khabi out for a few drinks after the game :club: