The Offical Edmonton Oilers Thread!

Steve Austin's bionic arm, shoulder and heart. Why would anyone want out of Edmonton now, unless it's just a horrifically unworkable environment? Add Eberle, MPS and Hall/Seguin to this years squad of pretty good young players and you've got something worth watching imo. Makes me want to vomit everytime I consider that we turned away 4 consecutive Edmonton 1st round picks for Vanek.
I dont think if Vanek ends up in Edmonton, they are as bad as they are...
  • Replies 472
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

He's the one on the right, isn't he?  

Based on talent...Colorado. Based on money...Edmonton.

Since Bryzgalov joined the team, they are unbeaten and have outscored the opposition 11-1. Ya, he hasn't played yet, but its obvious Ilya's presence in the room has made a world of difference.

Steve Austin's bionic arm, shoulder and heart. Why would anyone want out of Edmonton now, unless it's just a horrifically unworkable environment? Add Eberle, MPS and Hall/Seguin to this years squad of pretty good young players and you've got something worth watching imo. Makes me want to vomit everytime I consider that we turned away 4 consecutive Edmonton 1st round picks for Vanek.
Don't forget you add one of the best play makers in the NHL next season.
Thank god your GM was pissed off and not level-headed when he matched the offer sheet. I bet he wishes he didn't because we would be ****ed
The very odd thing is that he matched the ridiculous offer sheet *after* he unsuccessfully tried to flip Vanek and Roy over to Chicago for the Kane pick. I guess when you think about it he really had no other choice but to hang onto his one remaining super-duperstar, but MAN would I love to have Gagne, MPS, Eberle and Hall thrown in with the crop of prospects Buffalo has now. Wouldn't have happened that way obviously, some picks would have been traded for pieces here and there but it's fun to think about all that firepower in front of Miller.
Ales Hemsky.
I have a feeling his days as an Oiler are numbered. Im a big Hemsky fan and hope he stays here because with the right people he is a 90 point a season guy and I think Eberle and Seguine(Basiclly everyone thinks this is who we will be drafting if we get 1) could be those right people.
I have a feeling his days as an Oiler are numbered. Im a big Hemsky fan and hope he stays here because with the right people he is a 90 point a season guy and I think Eberle and Seguine(Basiclly everyone thinks this is who we will be drafting if we get 1) could be those right people.
I think the Oilers will trade down in the draft so they can unload one of their overpaid bums.
I think the Oilers will trade down in the draft so they can unload one of their overpaid bums.
Not happening. GM Steve Tambilini would be hunted and killed. He knows it too and has made many statements saying we will be keeping the pick. The only maybe scary thing he said is that he will not draft Hall or Seguine, instead letting the scouts pick for him.
Not happening. GM Steve Tambilini would be hunted and killed. He knows it too and has made many statements saying we will be keeping the pick. The only maybe scary thing he said is that he will not draft Hall or Seguine, instead letting the scouts pick for him.
Who in the world would his scouts pick other than one of those two? There's a fairly large dropoff between 2nd overall and 3rd overall, then another large dropoff from there. I think Darcy would give you Vanek for the pick like you wanted in the first place...interested?
Why? There's value to be had in trading down to (say) 5th or 6th and unloading Horcoff or someone. Now you free up some money to go after free agents...who don't want to play in Edmonton...nevermind.

I think this whole unloading of big money under performers is way overdone.Teams like the Oilers aren't going to gain anything right now by getting rid of a big contract, unless it's like 7 years long. They might as well eat the cap hit while they're spending on cheaper players and losing, than get rid of it while giving up future assets. If they got rid of an albatross contract at this point, you know they'd just overpay someone else from the FA market, since they should still have a ton of cap room. I suppose Horcoff's 4 year deal could be worth dealing, but I'd still just rather eat it while the team is not going to be competitive anyways, and take my 1st overall.

I think this whole unloading of big money under performers is way overdone.Teams like the Oilers aren't going to gain anything right now by getting rid of a big contract, unless it's like 7 years long. They might as well eat the cap hit while they're spending on cheaper players and losing, than get rid of it while giving up future assets. If they got rid of an albatross contract at this point, you know they'd just overpay someone else from the FA market, since they should still have a ton of cap room. I suppose Horcoff's 4 year deal could be worth dealing, but I'd still just rather eat it while the team is not going to be competitive anyways, and take my 1st overall.
This is exactly what is gonna happen. As terrible as Horcoffs contract is, Souray wanting out means we have cap space and might as well keep him, hoping he decides to play up to value.Edmonton is gonna finish bottem 5 next year. I have no doubt about it. As much as I'd love to see a worst to first turn-around, it aint happening. Adding rookies to a bad team never helps the first year. Even Pittsburg and Washington were bad when they got Crosby and Ovechkin year 1.
well said.another point that is always missed is this:players market value decreases and increases all the time. at the time Horcoff got the deal, he was probably worth it. Now, couple of bad years, and he looks overpaid. If your Edmonton, play the crap out of him, give him every chance to succeed, and if he suddenly gets 50pts in 60games, he'll be trade deadline fodder for a nice pick, at least. Fans are the only ones with short term memories, GM's quickly buy back into players as well.Since your rebuilding anyway, there is no real reason to open up cap space right now....wait it out I say.
Edmonton won the Draft Lottery and gets to keep the #1 pick.OMG I was acctually sweating the results of it lol
It definitely would have been all kinds of interesting if the Islanders had won.
Edmonton won the Draft Lottery and gets to keep the #1 pick.OMG I was acctually sweating the results of it lol
Meh, I wouldn't be sweating that much. Seems like Hall and Seguin are pretty interchangeable. I'd be equally thrilled with either one.

Jordan Eberle has been invited to Team Canada's world championships camp. Most think he will make it too and do what Toews did when he played for the Juniors and Big team.

• 5 months later...
:club: I will bet up to $100 (can be multiple smaller bets) if I get 2-1 odds...I say the Edmonton Oilers win the Cup before either Pittsburgh or Washington does.
:club: I will bet up to $100 (can be multiple smaller bets) if I get 2-1 odds...I say the Edmonton Oilers win the Cup before either Pittsburgh or Washington does.
i will take this bet for $50 , however would like to take out Pittsburgh and put in the Leafs..Better for you.
i will take this bet for $50 , however would like to take out Pittsburgh and put in the Leafs..Better for you.
So your $50 against my $25. First to win Cup. I have Edmonton and you have Washington and Toronto. Booked.I have $75 more to wager on this if anyone else is interested.
So your $50 against my $25. First to win Cup. I have Edmonton and you have Washington and Toronto. Booked.I have $75 more to wager on this if anyone else is interested.
booked