School Lunches

In California a couple years back they contracted with the fast food joints to supply the lunch food. I think Taco Bell and Carl's Jr.

Oh, I doubt anything you say will upset her.
I'm pretty sure that everything I say upsets her.

My cousin lives up in the Bay area, and her kid's school uses a private contractor for school lunches, which sounded really awesome to me. They order their lunches over the internet each week, selecting from a menu of really great sounding stuff like "Deluxe Turkey Ciabatta Sandwich" and whatnot. I think it was around $4 per lunch.

In hawaii it was .45 cents for lunch and then you could get double lunches for .90 The good thing about double lunches was you actually got two milks. Also, Lady Grey ... why the hate on cheese? Cheese is delicious. I mean at least he's providing cheese and not twinkies. This post is from a person that has no kids by the way.

Also, Lady Grey ... why the hate on cheese? Cheese is delicious. I mean at least he's providing cheese and not twinkies. This post is from a person that has no kids by the way.
She's not hating on cheese, she's hating on string cheese because she thinks it's overly processed crappy faux-cheese.
She's not hating on cheese, she's hating on string cheese because she thinks it's overly processed crappy faux-cheese.
Ah, that makes more sense then. I agree that the overly processed cheese is horrible.
Finally someone who gets it.
I do, but I'm not sure I agree. Like vb said, a lot of string cheese, even though it looks like it would be nasty faux-cheese, is actually the real thing. It's made into that form by the process, not by adding all kinds of unnatural crap to it.
Finally someone who gets it.
Everyone already got that... except maybe Pokerbum. We just enjoy real cheese in string form.
I think that's pretty standard everywhere except wealthy school districts where it wouldn't be utilized by anyone. You don't have to be that poor to qualify.
Makes sense. I think that free breakfast is only offered in poorer neighborhoods but maybe not.My wife says that sometimes she thinks the free breakfast/lunch is the best thing they do for the kids.
Makes sense. I think that free breakfast is only offered in poorer neighborhoods but maybe not.My wife says that sometimes she thinks the free breakfast/lunch is the best thing they do for the kids.
What does she think is the best the other times?
Everyone already got that... except maybe Pokerbum. We just enjoy real cheese in string form.
Yeah, string cheese was invented when I was a kid so I ate it in school lunches for years. Then I got to the age where I realised that it has no nutritional goodness (don't buy that bullshit about calcium, there are way better sources). You can get a lot healthier snacks that cost less. Feeding kids big chunks of cheese for a snack doesn't make sense to me.
Bolded part is what confused me ... issue is all cleared up now though.LadyGrey is NOT a fan of processed cheese.
For some kids, it is. Some kids don't get much in the way of food at home. Kids that are truly hungry have trouble concentrating and don't have energy. Our school offers breakfast.There are a lot of things kids get at school that they may not get at home.FoodFresh Air (some kids live in areas where it's dangerous to play out at home)BooksGames (not of the video persuasion)RulesLove Friendship
I think that free breakfast is only offered in poorer neighborhoods but maybe not.
It's federally mandated for all public schools. It goes back a long time, like more than half a century, methinks.