Stone The Whale

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nah, just the whale...but they do leave room. I wonder if we can buy the beards like they did in Life of Brian so we can sneak in and get to participate?The American Family Association, a religious right group, is urging that Tillikum (Tilly), the killer whale that killed a trainer at SeaWorld Orlando, be put down, preferably by stoning. Citing Tilly's history of violent altercations, the group is slamming SeaWorld for not listening to Scripture in how to deal with the animal:Says the ancient civil code of Israel, "When an ox gores a man or woman to death, the ox shall be stoned, and its flesh shall not be eaten, but the owner shall not be liable." (Exodus 21:28)However, the group is going further and laying the blame for the trainer's death directly at the feet of Chuck Thompson, the curator in charge of animal behavior, because, according to Scripture,But, the Scripture soberly warns, if one of your animals kills a second time because you didn't kill it after it claimed its first human victim, this time you die right along with your animal. To use the example from Exodus, if your ox kills a second time, "the ox shall be stoned, and its owner also shall be put to death." (Exodus 21:29)SeaWorld has no plans to execute Tilly.

The story that got the lazy thinkers upset
Bible ignored, trainer diesDate: 2/25/2010 9:27:17 AMLoading...You are aware by now that a 12,000 pound killer whale at SeaWorld Orlando killed his trainer Dawn Brancheau yesterday by pulling her into a pool and dragging her around until she drowned, in front of a crowd of stunned guests.Chalk another death up to animal rights insanity and to the ongoing failure of the West to take counsel on practical matters from the Scripture.According to the Orlando Sentinel, "SeaWorld Orlando has always know that Tillikum...could be a particularly dangerous killer whale...because of his ominous history."The Sentinel then recounts that Tilly, as he was affectionately known, had killed a trainer back in 1991 in front of spectators at a now defunct aquarium in Victoria, British Columbia.Then in 1999 he killed a man who sneaked into SeaWorld to swim with the whales and was found the next morning draped dead across Tilly's back. His body had been bit and the killer whale had torn off his swimming trunks after he had died.What about the term "killer whale" do SeaWorld officials not understand?If the counsel of the Judeo-Christian tradition had been followed, Tillikum would have been put out of everyone's misery back in 1991 and would not have had the opportunity to claim two more human lives.Says the ancient civil code of Israel, "When an ox gores a man or woman to death, the ox shall be stoned, and its flesh shall not be eaten, but the owner shall not be liable." (Exodus 21:28)So, your animal kills somebody, your moral responsibility is to put that animal to death. You have no moral culpability in the death, because you didn't know the animal was going to go postal on somebody.But, the Scripture soberly warns, if one of your animals kills a second time because you didn't kill it after it claimed its first human victim, this time you die right along with your animal. To use the example from Exodus, if your ox kills a second time, "the ox shall be stoned, and its owner also shall be put to death." (Exodus 21:29)If I were the family of Dawn Brancheau, I'd sue the pants off SeaWorld for allowing this killer whale to kill again after they were well aware of its violent history.SeaWorld is apparently, however, unrepentant. Chuck Thompson, its curator in charge of animal behavior, says Tilly continues to be "a valuable asset not only from a breeding standpoint but from a behavior standpoint, too." Chuck might want to ask Dawn's Mom what she thinks about that.Thompson did add, helpfully, "I think we need to evaluate his behavior and everything that's happened up to this point." You're about 19 years too late, Chuck, and the blood of Dawn Brancheau is on your hands.

And the update from the author of the story at American Family Association

UPDATE: It's been rather surreal to see my little blog post/column of Feb. 25 take on a life of its own, and become the subject of endless and hysterical rants in the blogosphere. In addition, I was contacted today for interviews by the Chicago Tribune (whose reporter told me she'd read about it on the Daily Mail in London), and by radio stations in Alaska, Seattle, and L.A. Plus I have been chewed out by numerous animal rights zealots either via phone or email.What apparently gave the story some legs is that I was falsely reported as calling for the stoning of the killer whale, when of course I did nothing of the sort. I simply called for the animal to be euthanized, which can be done humanely and entirely without using rocks. I'm sure, for instance, that the veterinarians at SeaWorld have put animals down any number of times. Plus even if you wanted to stone a giant dolphin to death, I'm not sure exactly how you'd go about doing it.Also, and likewise bizarrely, I have been reported as calling for the owners of SeaWorld to be stoned, which of course I did not do either. I called for legal action against them to hold them accountable for negligently exposing an employee to life-endangering risk. Perhaps this additional note will reduce the level of unhinged bloviating on the internet.The simple truth is that this story is about the value we place on human life. In a Judeo-Christian worldview, a human being has infinite, eternal value while an animal does not. Because of the sanctity of human life, we ought to euthanize an animal which kills a human being so that it cannot kill again.It's fairly routine to put a pit bull to sleep after it has mauled a child. There's no reason not to put a killer whale to sleep after it has killed a trainer. It might be worth asking my hyperventilating adversaries what they think should be done to a pit bull owner whose dog mauls a child to death but refuses to put it down, only to have it subsequently maul a second child.Since Dawn Blancheau's life is equal in value to the life of a child, whatever my hissy fit friends think should be done to the owner of the pit bull should logically be done to the owner of the killer whale. I'll be happy to let them recommend suitable punishment.In my blog/column, I simply extracted an underlying principle from the Exodus 21 passage and gave it a contemporary application. I made no attempt to apply it in a crudely literal fashion, which apparently is a great disappointment to my critics.One unanticipated benefit of the mindless overreaction my blog has generated is that a lot more people know what's in Exodus 21 than did a week ago. I'm happy to serve humanity by increasing biblical literacy, one passage at a time.

I was a member of the AMA for quite a few years.It is funny that you guys are so quick to assume that they would actually demand the whale be stoned because you read about it on the Huffington post....Funny indeed

I was a member of the AMA for quite a few years.It is funny that you guys are so quick to assume that they would actually demand the whale be stoned because you read about it on the Huffington post....Funny indeed
I agree, it is obviously God's will for us to kill sea life. I think we should stone them.
I agree, it is obviously God's will for us to kill sea life. I think we should stone them.
I think you should continue to believe that the article in question says that so you can pretend that your understanding of what the Bible says will allow you to be as wrong about it as you are.
I think you should continue to believe that the article in question says that so you can pretend that your understanding of what the Bible says will allow you to be as wrong about it as you are.
who are you to tell me what version of the bible to believe? I forgive you 77 times though. AMA has a good point. The bible clearly states that any animal that kills a person should be stoned. What's your issue? Why shouldn't we stone the owner of Seaworld. He obviously isn't following God's will by allowing a woman who could bare children to be killed. That is definately against his will and we need to stop this behaviour.
Says the ancient civil code of Israel, "When an ox gores a man or woman to death, the ox shall be stoned, and its flesh shall not be eaten, but the owner shall not be liable." (Exodus 21:28)
Umm... that is some selective reading of the Bible right there. Had he gone on, he would see"However, unlike an ox, if a creature of the sea should cause the death of a man, that creature shall be employed in the entertainment of children and families alike." (Exodus 21:34).
Then in 1999 he killed a man who sneaked into SeaWorld to swim with the whales and was found the next morning draped dead across Tilly's back. His body had been bit and the killer whale had torn off his swimming trunks after he had died.
If the man was 'found the next morning,' how do they know that Tilly took his swimming trunks off after he had died? I mean yeah Tilly is a friggin killer (it's in the name!) but implications that he's into necrophilia or whatever seem unwarranted and unfair.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't most conservatives say the idiot who snuck in got exactly what he deserved?And what serial killer with the intelligence of a whale would leave his victim's body draped across his back?I think Tilly was framed.More seriously, though, whenever skeptics quote the really outrageous sections of the OT about owning slaves or stoning people or that God wants and demands burnt offerings, Christians say, "Oh, lots of OT stuff doesn't apply anymore. Don't be silly and pretend we have to do all that." But here is a Christian saying one of those outrageous passages is exactly what we ought to be doing. So I guess shrimp IS an abomination and you CAN take several wives and you SHOULD offer your daughters to mobs of rapists or whoever bids the most oxen and sheep.

I love how finely the blogger is attempting to split these hairs. He says over and over again that he never expressly advocated stoning the whale, yet the passage he is citing, the one that he tells us to follow the example of, says that verbatim.If we don't have to follow the part that says "stone it," Why do we have to follow the part that says "kill it"?I would imagine not even BG would defend this... if he weren't doing schtick, that ishomina homina homina.seriously though..." You're about 19 years too late, Chuck, and the blood of Dawn Brancheau is on your hands."This is gross.Aditionally, does this guy really not see the difference between a dog, which is a domesticated animal, and a killer whale?

I was a member of the AMA for quite a few years.It is funny that you guys are so quick to assume that they would actually demand the whale be stoned because you read about it on the Huffington post....
I'm not sure anyone really thought they wanted the thing to actually be killed by throwing stones at it. Regardless, using the bible as a reference in this case is idiotic, seeing as the bible does very clearly say that the owners of the whale should be executed as well. You can't say, "Kill the whale since the bible says so, but I guess you don't have to do what the bible says about the owners, you can just fine them or put them in jail for a few months or whatever." Either go with biblical law or the law of the land...picking and choosing is obnoxiously hypocritical.
who are you to tell me what version of the bible to believe? I forgive you 77 times though. AMA has a good point. The bible clearly states that any animal that kills a person should be stoned. What's your issue? Why shouldn't we stone the owner of Seaworld. He obviously isn't following God's will by allowing a woman who could bare children to be killed. That is definately against his will and we need to stop this behaviour.
Posts like this make you look like you don't understand the Bible very well. I haven't read any of the last several threads between you and BG though, so I could be wrong.
More seriously, though, whenever skeptics quote the really outrageous sections of the OT about owning slaves or stoning people or that God wants and demands burnt offerings, Christians say, "Oh, lots of OT stuff doesn't apply anymore. Don't be silly and pretend we have to do all that." But here is a Christian saying one of those outrageous passages is exactly what we ought to be doing. So I guess shrimp IS an abomination and you CAN take several wives and you SHOULD offer your daughters to mobs of rapists or whoever bids the most oxen and sheep.
Did you not read the dude's response? He didn't say that. It's in BG's post, like, just a couple above yours.Also, I know why you perpetuate the lie (well, I do, but whatever), but the OT still applies to Jews. Christians obviously have to listen to Jesus Christ, who said that He was the fulfillment of the rules in the OT. If we wanted to follow the OT then we would be Jewish, not Christians. It's not really hard to understand, but I guess maybe it is.
I'm not sure anyone really thought they wanted the thing to actually be killed by throwing stones at it. Regardless, using the bible as a reference in this case is idiotic, seeing as the bible does very clearly say that the owners of the whale should be executed as well. You can't say, "Kill the whale since the bible says so, but I guess you don't have to do what the bible says about the owners, you can just fine them or put them in jail for a few months or whatever." Either go with biblical law or the law of the land...picking and choosing is obnoxiously hypocritical.
A Biblical principle is just that, a kind of clear direction for our actions.The point being made was that in the old days when men and animals lived in very close proximity, there was a set of rules that made a clear distinction between an accidental animal killing of a human, and one that the owner has a lot more responsibility.So the reason to bring up the principle is to show the overall argument.In this case, this animal has killed three people. After the first one, they became more responsible for the animal's actions.If you guys are all worked up that a Biblical web site used the Bible to show a common sense principle than maybe you should stay away from the beach where all the sand is...Or you can dance around with a misguided attempt to make a point that doesn't exist while Tilly continues his rampage of revenge on the human race...Just don't ask us for prayer when the doorbell rings and Tilly wants to play with you, bring your swim trunks.
Feel free to leave the Jews out of this. Thank you.
I don't understand.