why play limit holdem

Not knocking Hold 'em, but you people are dissillusioned if you dont think NL is the tougher game and requires more skill to master.LOL, how could you possibly think holdem is harder than NL. Your nuts, explain to me why the main event of the WSOP is NL, the winner is considered the best poker player at that time in the wolrd right? If holdem was a harder game to play then the main event would be holdem right?
This is wrong. NL Holdem is shown more on TV because it is more exciting not because it is more or less skilled. With "degree all in moments" <-- (lol) it is more exciting and will draw more viewers
I agree that NLHE is more exciting on TV for the average viewer but that doesn't win this argument. Remember, the WSOP main event has been the NLHE tournament since its inception - way way before there was any significant TV coverage.
  • Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that NLHE is more exciting on TV for the average viewer but that doesn't win this argument. Remember, the WSOP main event has been the NLHE tournament since its inception - way way before there was any significant TV coverage.
The entire point of the WSOP originally was to get big NL texas fish to come to vegas so the pros could take all of their money in the side games. It wasn't chosen because it was the greatest test of skill, it was chosen so they could fleece texas oil men.Zara

Any NL Player that Completly shuns Limit Holdem is a fool plain and simple.In Fact Im going to argue that having a good solid Limit game will help you tons in your NL game.In Limit, youre forced to play every street all the time! In NL you can win by playing 2 card poker sometimes, and most hands are over by the turnIn Limit you learn different and creative ways to protect your hands from drawouts whereas in NL you can just use brute force.In Limit you learn how to properly play multiway pots, whereas most pots in No Limit wind up going heads up.In essence what Im saying is, a Solid limit game will give you more tools that you can take and exploit in a NL Game. By Saying Limit sucks you will forever be relegated to playing a weak, exploitable and mediocre No Limit game. So please do me a favor Limit haters.When I sit down in a NL game, Please sit down with me, and umm...bring lots of cash too :club:

Not knocking Hold 'em, but you people are dissillusioned if you dont think NL is the tougher game and requires more skill to master.LOL, how could you possibly think holdem is harder than NL. Your nuts, explain to me why the main event of the WSOP is NL, the winner is considered the best poker player at that time in the wolrd right? If holdem was a harder game to play then the main event would be holdem right?
This is wrong. NL Holdem is shown more on TV because it is more exciting not because it is more or less skilled. With "degree all in moments" <-- (lol) it is more exciting and will draw more viewers
and many top pro's have consistently stated that this event should not crown the 'world champion' - way before significant tv coverage. Many considered the HORSE event winner to be the most skilled before mixed game events were killed.
Im only 20 yrs old but I have been playing no limit for some time now, like 6-7 years. I started out small like .25/.50 blinds NL but now I am playin 5/10 and sometimes 10/20 NL, I know you guys dont care at all about that though.My question is, why do people play limit? To those who do, are you scared to play no limit because you can lose all your money? To many swings? I have played it before and it is just a drawing game, obviously there is skill but no nearly as much as in NL. Sorry if it sounds like Im knockin holdem, because Im not, Im just curious why people play it instead of NL.thankssam
.25/.50 blinds wasn't spred 6or7 years ago.
ssshhhhhhh. we don't want him to go after us demanding a HU match up becuse we exposed his bullshit. I call him out in my first post and he went ballistic :club:
Im only 20 yrs old but I have been playing no limit for some time now, like 6-7 years. I started out small like .25/.50 blinds NL but now I am playin 5/10 and sometimes 10/20 NL, I know you guys dont care at all about that though.My question is, why do people play limit? To those who do, are you scared to play no limit because you can lose all your money? To many swings? I have played it before and it is just a drawing game, obviously there is skill but no nearly as much as in NL. Sorry if it sounds like Im knockin holdem, because Im not, Im just curious why people play it instead of NL.thankssam
.25/.50 blinds wasn't spred 6or7 years ago.
ssshhhhhhh. we don't want him to go after us demanding a HU match up becuse we exposed his bullshit. I call him out in my first post and he went ballistic :club:
BUT...if we're challanged HU... We'll be made fools of!NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!

No limit holdem is called the "cadillac of poker" for a reasonThe WSOP Main Event is decided over No limit for a REASONIn Daniels blog about his match about Mimi Tran he had this to say:Overall I was happy with my play, but limit hold'em is a card catching contest and it was clear that I caught the most cards.It is very clear that No limit Holdem involves tons more skill and people who play limit are just panzies

The problem with all of these arguments is the gross difference between the limits people play at. If you are playing a game like 10/20 nl chances are you will be making the 5 bb that someone previously stated if you are a solid winning player. Which is about the same that a good winning player could make at a 20/40 limit game.The difference here is how completely dominant a good nl player can be at nl tables with blinds from .10/.25 up to 1/2. At a 25$ nl table it is quite possible for a solid player to avg a 10-15$ profit per hr. In order to make that you would need to be crushing a 2/4 table for 3-4 bb per hr.

No limit holdem is called the "cadillac of poker" for a reasonThe WSOP Main Event is decided over No limit for a REASON
hahaha... stop, you're killing me....seriously, throw in some more cliches, you didnt have enough in there.
It is very clear that No limit Holdem involves tons more skill and people who play limit are just panzies
haha almost missed that one,,, you dumb, dummyseriously though, shut up
No limit holdem is called the "cadillac of poker" for a reasonThe WSOP Main Event is decided over No limit for a REASON
hahaha... stop, you're killing me....seriously, throw in some more cliches, you didnt have enough in there.
I wont need to watch Rounders again for a few months, because this thread has half the dialogue from the movie covered.WHY DOES THIS STILL SEEM LIKE GAMBLING TO YOU!?!?!?? I mean, why do you think the same five guys make it to the final table of the World Series of Poker every single year? What, are they the luckiest guys in Las Vegas? It's a skill game
 At a 25$ nl table it is quite possible for a solid player to avg a 10-15$ profit per hr.
a good player cant sustain 60bb/hour, a perfect player cant sustain that, thats not even close to a sustainable win rate. Any good player knows that, I think you're trying to take JFarrels spot
In Daniels blog about his match about Mimi Tran he had this to say:Overall I was happy with my play, but limit hold'em is a card catching contest and it was clear that I caught the most cards.It is very clear that No limit Holdem involves tons more skill and people who play limit are just panzies
I'm seeing a big gap in your logic here. Just because he called limit holdem a card catching contest, doesn't neccessarily means he believes nl is not.
No limit holdem is called the "cadillac of poker" for a reason
Yes. Doyle Brunson coined the term because it's his best game. You can find pros who prefer limit, generally because it's their best game.
The WSOP Main Event is decided over No limit for a REASON
Yes. And that reason is, at the time the tournament was first started (as a promotional event), most big money poker was no limit. Today, the very biggest games seem to be mixed games, and arguably if the WSOP were started fresh today the main event would be HORSE.
It is very clear that No limit Holdem involves tons more skill and people who play limit are just panzies
It's always cute to find fish who think that poker is some kind of dicksize war. The simple fact is that if you're a relatively rational poker player who's looking to make money, you choose the game that's most profitable. All other considerations only matter to the play money folks.

If by cadillac you mean most skill, you're absolutely wrong. I think Doyle would admit that 7 stud 8/b is WAY more indepth and the winners win more, faster than the losers.Hold'Em is way less information than most poker games. By cadillac I'm gonna guess he just knew he could buy a few after playing with idiots for long enough :club: I know he said it, I know No-Limit Hold'Em is a great game, but in no way is it superior to any other forms of poker in my opinion.

In Daniels blog about his match about Mimi Tran he had this to say:Overall I was happy with my play, but limit hold'em is a card catching contest and it was clear that I caught the most cards.
oopps, you forgot to also mention that Daniel said this also because of how many Big Bets that they were playing with. I know that if they were playing with a lot more Big Bets, Daniel wouldn't have called it a card catching contest

i prefer limit online over nl online for many reasons... but my MAIN reason is that id rather lose 30 bucks to a bad beat than have someone go all in for 200 bucks as a 4 to 1 dog and take my whole stack... Sure it takes longer to build a roll in limit, but consistency based on the skill of the player is usually going to be alot more stable in limit, too.... Not much skill in limit??? well, try to play it seriously for a while, then come back with that. There are whole new concepts in limit that differ from nl. Just because there is more action doesn't mean its a total crapshoot....i like both live though.. i pick up tells much easier in nl :club: peace,Brandon

In Daniels blog about his match about Mimi Tran he had this to say:Overall I was happy with my play, but limit hold'em is a card catching contest and it was clear that I caught the most cards.
oopps, you forgot to also mention that Daniel said this also because of how many Big Bets that they were playing with. I know that if they were playing with a lot more Big Bets, Daniel wouldn't have called it a card catching contest
Also forgot to mention, that he is playing HEADS UP! There is a big difference between HU and a full ring game. I wouldn't call 10 handed limit a card catching contest. I'm sure Daniel wouldn't either.

there are some stupid...stupid people on this forum.so many misunderstandings in poker in general that i wonder why i'm taking a break from poker for the summer while i could be padding my wallet with their money.

a good player cant sustain 60bb/hour, a perfect player cant sustain that, thats not even close to a sustainable win rate. Any good player knows that, I think you're trying to take JFarrels spot
To say a good player cant win 10$ an hour is wrong on your part and means you most likely have never played 25 nl on party.
To say a good player cant win 10$ an hour is wrong on your part and means you most likely have never played 25 nl on party.
First, I was refering to his comment about 15 an hour, and I know for a fact a good player can make 15/hour, just not at .10/.25nl... Its not sustainable.And if you think you can make 60bb/hour (playing 1 table on party is about 70(ish) hands an hour, that is about 85bb/100) then you are flat out retarded. And when i say that I mean sustainable win rate... sustainable, as in, over enough hands... play 10,000 hands and let me know your win rate, i'll bet any amount of money you want it wont be anywhere near 85bb/100

Checking back on my notes from when i first started playing online 12-13 months ago over the original period I made an avg of 12.75 an hr over 96.5 playing hours on partypoker. Though I did just realize that back then 25 nl blinds were .25/.50 so you are most likely correct that 10-15 an hr as i previously stated and you chose to misquote might not be substainable. But for someone to say that you will avg out to 6 bb(big blinds) an hr is ludicrous.Avg winnings of 20 bb an hr online is easily doable if you are a solid player that plays 25-50 or even 100 nl.

NL requires more imagination & guts to be a winning player. In Limit, you aren't getting your balls put in a vice holding KK with a flop of A A J and the player who just called reraising your bet on the turn. You can simply fold without too much investment lost.. Or...you just call knowing it will probably only cost you a few more bets to determine if you really are holding the best hand and are getting bluffed on the board. However in NL, you have to be prepared to call your whole stack at any point in the game during any hand you are involved in. That is where the real concentration comes. You just cannot make any mistakes. Where as in limit, you can make a few mistakes at KEY points in a hand and still only lost a fraction of what you could potentially lost in a NL game. The risk is huge and the reward is potentially greater.Not knocking Hold 'em, but you people are dissillusioned if you dont think NL is the tougher game and requires more skill to master.
Why are your balls in a vice... seems like a very easy fold to me.
Though I did just realize that back then 25 nl blinds were .25/.50 so you are most likely correct that 10-15 an hr as i previously stated and you chose to misquote might not be substainable. But for someone to say that you will avg out to 6 bb(big blinds) an hr is ludicrous.Avg winnings of 20 bb an hr online is easily doable if you are a solid player that plays 25-50 or even 100 nl.
6bb/100 online in limit is absolutely ridiculous, and I hope no where did i say that, over 25,000 hands at .5/1, 1/2, and 2/4 is 2.57, and thats a little high.I'll still argue 20bb/hour online, unless you are talking about 3 or 4 tabling, but I dont really have enough NL in to argue.On a side note, anyone have any good articles on blind stealing? It seems to be a major problem I have looking at my stats