why play limit holdem

yeah I agree with that, you can make alot more money off of NL now a days especailly because of all the idiots who see it on TV and want to play. NL is alot harder than limit...bottom line

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah I agree with that, you can make alot more money off of NL now a days especailly because of all the idiots who see it on TV and want to play. NL is alot harder than limit...bottom line
you are completely clueless. . . bottom line
Not knocking Hold 'em, but you people are dissillusioned if you dont think NL is the tougher game and requires more skill to master.LOL, how could you possibly think holdem is harder than NL. Your nuts, explain to me why the main event of the WSOP is NL, the winner is considered the best poker player at that time in the wolrd right? If holdem was a harder game to play then the main event would be holdem right?
This is wrong. NL Holdem is shown more on TV because it is more exciting not because it is more or less skilled. With "degree all in moments" <-- (lol) it is more exciting and will draw more viewers
It's much much easier to play 8 tables of limit than NL. Limit is a more mathematical game, and you can play like a robot and still win (except at the higher limits.)I've played both NL and Limit, and I like both. A lot of people like to say 'oh limit is so much easier.' or 'Oh, NL is so much easier' Well, imo it is subjective. Some people have the natural talent and abilities to excel at Limit. Some people have the natural talents to beat NL. For instance I would wager most A+ math grad student could be taught to win limit for a decent amount of cash. And on the other side, with only a general understanding of math, someone who excels at reading people and knowing when to bluff and when to fold could excel at NL.
I agree with this post for the most part. its funny, but you can compare the low limit NL tables to a high limit Holdem game in that you will see more people playing draws at the lower limit NL tables. Where as at the higher limit NL tables, you can put a stop to someones flush or st8t draw with a well timed raise on the flop or turn. You are able to draw out more in limit than in NL. However, I imagine the pots are nicer in limit when you are raising a fish that chases to the river and misses, where as in NL you are primarily getting payed off for sets or big pairs.
I'll be playing limit tomorrow morning around 9am. Can you come sit at a table with me? Please? Since NL is so much easier than limit you should have no problem cleaning me out. Bottom line; I really don't like money much. Come take it :roll: I love people like this :-)
I'll be playing limit tomorrow morning around 9am. Can you come sit at a table with me? Please? Since NL is so much easier than limit you should have no problem cleaning me out. Bottom line; I really don't like money much. Come take it :roll: I love people like this :-)
I love people like you who play limit to minimize your losses that you cant stomach in a NL type game. A limit player challenging someone to sit at their table is hilarious. How about you sit with him in a $1000 freezeout NL game. Can you stomach that?

Your nuts, explain to me why the main event of the WSOP is NLbecause ratings skyrocket when some pushes allin. this is not too hard to understand is it? or take daniel for example: "i bet ummmm 4 million" or "the only witty thing i can think of saying is ALL IN!"ratings d00d. limit is boring to watch...no doubt.why do you think daniel's challenges have all been limit so far? plain and simple it is more about skill and discipline than just overbetting and stealing...daniel is a master at putting you on a hand on the flop and betting you off your draw, i believe his challengers know this so they choose limit where they can have a better chance at beating him.

Im only 20 yrs old but I have been playing no limit for some time now, like 6-7 years. I started out small like .25/.50 blinds NL but now I am playin 5/10 and sometimes 10/20 NL, I know you guys dont care at all about that though.My question is, why do people play limit? To those who do, are you scared to play no limit because you can lose all your money? To many swings? I have played it before and it is just a drawing game, obviously there is skill but no nearly as much as in NL. Sorry if it sounds like Im knockin holdem, because Im not, Im just curious why people play it instead of NL.thankssam
dude, you are knocking Limit. You have much to learn young Padawn. I'll be honest, I really doubt that you've been playing NL as long as you claim. Only since hole cams has NL blown up, in fact up until recently, the tournament of preference was Limit. No, I'm not scared og Big swings, I just don't like them. I play limit because its hard to be a winning player. You need good discipline in Limit, I personally find it harder and more skillfull than NL. I also love it when NL guys sit down at a Limit table and whinre about not being able to protect their hands, I just take your money. Limit is a good mental excercise for me, and I love limit
First of all, I pay for my tuition through online poker and I have been playing consistently since I was in 8th grade now I am a junior in college. You can not possibly think there is more skill in holdem compared to NL. In my opinion people who just play holdem are not nearly as good as consistent NL players.Also, I love it when holdem players sit down at the NL tables and its like takin candy from a baby because they will call all in's on gut shot straight draws. If you think you are so much more skilled than me in NL, why do play heads up sometime. I have an account on just about every poker site but I normally play on Royal Vegas, Lucky Nuggett, and Full Tilt. Im not goin to play you in Holdem because I suck at it, but since holdem players are so much more skilled than NL players you should have no problem playing me heads up.sam
wow, did I ruffle some feathers. lol. Man, I'm not just a LHE player, I play plenty of NL, but I prefer Limit, its that simple. Your over reaction is very telling IMO. HU matches don't prove shit dude, but I would be willing to play you. I play on party, which does limit us playing deep stacked HU like I would prefer. If you give me enough time, I will move more then enough $$$ over to Poker Stars so that we could sit with 200-250 BB HU. I will not play with any less. I never said that I was more skilled then you and I'd like for you to highlight where I said that, because I didn't. I just said that I feel that it takes more skill to win in the long run in Limit. I don't call all-ins w/gutshots and flush draws. Hows about you produce something of substance before you fire at me chief, okay. I don't suck at NL and am very good at several other forms of poker, to me you just sound like someone who really just umped on the bandwagon only in the past few years. IF you do p[ay your way through college with your poiker winnings, cool, but honestly by your reation to me just making an observant statement tells me that you might not be telling us the full truth, you have over reacted to a throw away statement, and I don't see how you can play great poker by blowing up over very little and trivial things like what I said. cest la vie

IMO, NL is just waiting for big hands and perfect flops so that you can take someones stack in games with bad players. Doesn't seem too hard. It is only a skillfull game when played against all good players where you must think at a higher level to outplay your opponents.Since your main reason in hold'em is to make money, then I assume you will choose a table where your opponents will give you thier stacks easily. Therefore, taking away the true skill in the game.In Limit you have to learn how to protect your hands properly and ways to maximize your EV and minimize your losses. Anyone that says limit is easy still has a lot to learn about limit. I'm sure all the serious Limit players here feel that there is still a lot more to learn about limit and that they can always improve.Both games takes different skills, it is just about how much time and effort you are willing to put in to learn and improve. IMO, someone that is truly great can play every single game and be great at it. They will be good at razz, stud, omaha ,triple draw, holdem,NL etc because they take time to excel in all those games. You can't say just because you are a good NL player that when you jump into a 10/20 limit game then you will have a edge because you have NL experience, that's just silly. This topic has already been discussed so many times already, obviously all the NL players will say NL takes more skill and all the Limit players will say limit takes more skill.

First of all, I pay for my tuition through online poker and I have been playing consistently since I was in 8th grade now I am a junior in college. You can not possibly think there is more skill in holdem compared to NL. In my opinion people who just play holdem are not nearly as good as consistent NL players.Also, I love it when holdem players sit down at the NL tables and its like takin candy from a baby because they will call all in's on gut shot straight draws. If you think you are so much more skilled than me in NL, why do play heads up sometime. I have an account on just about every poker site but I normally play on Royal Vegas, Lucky Nuggett, and Full Tilt. Im not goin to play you in Holdem because I suck at it, but since holdem players are so much more skilled than NL players you should have no problem playing me heads up.sam
So what poker sites were you making all your money on back in 97 & 98?
I love people like you who play limit to minimize your losses that you cant stomach in a NL type game. A limit player challenging someone to sit at their table is hilarious. How about you sit with him in a $1000 freezeout NL game. Can you stomach that?
Literacy is your friend :-) I wasn't challenging him to anything. Before you respond, could you do me a favor and you know, read what I said? Generalizing is good too. Simply assuming that I play limit to "minimize losses" is kind of absurd, don't you think? Where in my post did I say I didn't play NL? Again, literacy is your friend. READING before you respond. And also not, you know, making things up. Because you did that.
So what poker sites were you making all your money on back in 97 & 98?
You can not possibly think there is more skill in holdem compared to NL. In my opinion people who just play holdem are not nearly as good as consistent NL players.
Which is why the big game is a $4000-$8000 limit game, and will always be a limit game. And why Stud, Razz, Ace to Five and Deuce to Seven are all limit games. The latter two are played almost exclusively by the pros--if more skilled players played NL, don't you think the top pros would be playing NL versions of all games, or is Hold 'Em just special?
Also, I love it when holdem players sit down at the NL tables and its like takin candy from a baby because they will call all in's on gut shot straight draws.
Only a terrible limit player would do that. Limit players care way more about pot odds than NL players do because it's a much more important aspect of the game. No halfway decent limit player would do that because of their odds. I should know, I play both. After reading what you have posted, there's no conclusion I can come to other than that you must be 1)very, very ignorant to have been playing that long and have the experience you have, or 2) you're lying about your experience/ are just not very smart. Other than your arguments, I have no reason to doubt you, so I'll say I believe the former.Limit is not a chasing game. Limit involves more people in every pot because the bets are smaller. More people will call down. This does not, however, make it "easier" or a "unskilled," or a chasing game, as y'all have been arguing. It means your decisions are made much more in the grey. The game is played (as was mentioned before) by pushing small edges hard, rather than big edges normally. You have to balance a lot more math and be more precise on your out counting because of the inherent ambiguity of multiway pots and small edges. With your pot equity much smaller most of the time, the math you do becomes much more crucial.Limit i's much safer online. It retains all of the mathematical concepts needed for both games; however, cetain aspects that are much more important in NL are not present online; most notably, physical tells. Limit poker online resembles it's B&M counterpart more than does NL, making it a safer game, and a much "truer" game to boot.The differences between the games are basically the degree of skill required in different aspects. A no limit player can get away with not knowing how to push a small equity edge because he can pick up minute tells. It's the exact opposite for a limit player. This explains why some pros excel at NL--Phil Ivey, Gus Hanson--while others such as Chip Reese aren't as "wired" for it.This really isn't that debatable. Play 40 hours of LHE a week and you learn the importance of long term profit and consistency--things much more difficult to understand in limit than in no limit.
Im only 20 yrs old but I have been playing no limit for some time now, like 6-7 years. I started out small like .25/.50 blinds NL but now I am playin 5/10 and sometimes 10/20 NL, I know you guys dont care at all about that though.My question is, why do people play limit? To those who do, are you scared to play no limit because you can lose all your money? To many swings? I have played it before and it is just a drawing game, obviously there is skill but no nearly as much as in NL. Sorry if it sounds like Im knockin holdem, because Im not, Im just curious why people play it instead of NL.thankssam
Are you sure you are 20 years old. :-)
If you think that one freezeout NL game can decide anything, then you don't understand math enough to be debating this topic. Variance rapes the hell out of a game like that. Is there something about long-term profit that exclusively NL players can't understand about limit players? You're risking the same money, after all, just over a longer period of time. This means more cards, which means the law of large numbers applies more (aka, relative frequency begins to accurately reflect probability). And as everyone knows, the more hands, the more skill becomes important, and the less luck does.

let me preface this with the fact that i primarily play NLHE, about 70% of the time, the other 30% is spent mostly playing LHE or OH/L. with that said even myself as a predominantly NL player, i understand that limit is much more difficult, and that is why i play it less. why do i play NL more? because with my skill level it is easier for me to avg. more money per hour playing NL, so it has the highest +ev. why can i make more money? because it is EASIER to exploit edges in NL, limit takes much more skill to make the same amount of money. i am a winning player in both games, but my win rate is much higher in NL.

It's much much easier to play 8 tables of limit than NL. Limit is a more mathematical game, and you can play like a robot and still win (except at the higher limits.)I've played both NL and Limit, and I like both. A lot of people like to say 'oh limit is so much easier.' or 'Oh, NL is so much easier' Well, imo it is subjective. Some people have the natural talent and abilities to excel at Limit. Some people have the natural talents to beat NL. For instance I would wager most A+ math grad student could be taught to win limit for a decent amount of cash. And on the other side, with only a general understanding of math, someone who excels at reading people and knowing when to bluff and when to fold could excel at NL.
That would be me. I'm almost done with a Masters in math and started playing limit HE seriously at the beginning of March. I love the mathematical and purely analytical side of limit and I've been making a good amount playing it. Since then I've made over $4000 playing in my spare time at 2/4, turning $1000 into more than $5000.They really are completely different games. The hard part is when you start trying to maximize your winnings. This is where my math ability comes in handy, and online my reading ability wasn't good at the end of February when I swore off NL after dropping my $1100 bankroll.Since then, my hand reading ability is WAY better than it was, ask wrto about me predicting his hands when shadowing him at 5/10. I think I could do much better at NL now that I've played 30,000 hands of limit to refine my reading ability.I also love how people think the other game must be easier when they suck at it and are good at one.
Im not goin to play you in Holdem because I suck at it, but since holdem players are so much more skilled than NL players you should have no problem playing me heads up.
If you suck at it, you obviously don't know how to play it well so how can you make a reasonable comparison?Zara
You can not possibly think there is more skill in holdem compared to NL. In my opinion people who just play holdem are not nearly as good as consistent NL players.
Which is why the big game is a $4000-$8000 limit game, and will always be a limit game. And why Stud, Razz, Ace to Five and Deuce to Seven are all limit games. The latter two are played almost exclusively by the pros--if more skilled players played NL, don't you think the top pros would be playing NL versions of all games, or is Hold 'Em just special?
Also, I love it when holdem players sit down at the NL tables and its like takin candy from a baby because they will call all in's on gut shot straight draws.
Only a terrible limit player would do that. Limit players care way more about pot odds than NL players do because it's a much more important aspect of the game. No halfway decent limit player would do that because of their odds. I should know, I play both. After reading what you have posted, there's no conclusion I can come to other than that you must be 1)very, very ignorant to have been playing that long and have the experience you have, or 2) you're lying about your experience/ are just not very smart. Other than your arguments, I have no reason to doubt you, so I'll say I believe the former.Limit is not a chasing game. Limit involves more people in every pot because the bets are smaller. More people will call down. This does not, however, make it "easier" or a "unskilled," or a chasing game, as y'all have been arguing. It means your decisions are made much more in the grey. The game is played (as was mentioned before) by pushing small edges hard, rather than big edges normally. You have to balance a lot more math and be more precise on your out counting because of the inherent ambiguity of multiway pots and small edges. With your pot equity much smaller most of the time, the math you do becomes much more crucial.Limit i's much safer online. It retains all of the mathematical concepts needed for both games; however, cetain aspects that are much more important in NL are not present online; most notably, physical tells. Limit poker online resembles it's B&M counterpart more than does NL, making it a safer game, and a much "truer" game to boot.The differences between the games are basically the degree of skill required in different aspects. A no limit player can get away with not knowing how to push a small equity edge because he can pick up minute tells. It's the exact opposite for a limit player. This explains why some pros excel at NL--Phil Ivey, Gus Hanson--while others such as Chip Reese aren't as "wired" for it.This really isn't that debatable. Play 40 hours of LHE a week and you learn the importance of long term profit and consistency--things much more difficult to understand in limit than in no limit.
Very nicely put DC.

I guess all forms of draw, stud, razz, and lowball must be inherently inferior games because they're played limit.I've heard this argument that NL is the more skilled times a million times (we all have). I find it interesting that I've never heard it from someone who plays more than 2 forms of poker.

IT IS JUST PURE IGNORANCE WHEN PEOPLE SAY THAT NL TAKES MORE SKILL, YOU HAVE OBVIOUSLY BEEN PLAYING POKER FOR ABOUT 2-3 YEARS, EVER SINCE SEEING MONEYMAKER OR WATCHING THE WPT...THERE IS NO ARGUMENT, I PLAY NL AND I CONCEDE THAT LIMIT TAKES MUCH MUCH MORE SKILL...hands down

Bottom line is that if you're playing limit you're going to say limit is more skillfull and vice versa for nl. One thing is that if you are playing under 2/4 limit the degree of skill that is needed at a 15/30 or 25/50 game just isnt there. Really a good nl player could cross over to limit and become a winner without much problem. One thing about limit compared to nl is i think the skill difference between a winning player and a losing player in nl is far far greater then a winning player in limit and a losing player in limit. Lets face it in limit you are looking to win 2 bb an hour. So you are looking to outplay your opponent in basically 1 pot every 2 hours or make one laydown at the river. And quick note with the big game. The big game often is mixed and includes forms of nl poker with capped pots.

Bottom line is that if you're playing limit you're going to say limit is more skillfull and vice versa for nl. One thing is that if you are playing under 2/4 limit the degree of skill that is needed at a 15/30 or 25/50 game just isnt there. Really a good nl player could cross over to limit and become a winner without much problem. One thing about limit compared to nl is i think the skill difference between a winning player and a losing player in nl is far far greater then a winning player in limit and a losing player in limit. Lets face it in limit you are looking to win 2 bb an hour. So you are looking to outplay your opponent in basically 1 pot every 2 hours or make one laydown at the river. And quick note with the big game. The big game often is mixed and includes forms of nl poker with capped pots.
It's a shame you have no idea what you're talking about.Zara
And quick note with the big game. The big game often is mixed and includes forms of nl poker with capped pots.
My mistake. I knew it was a mixed game (that's why I didn't say hold 'em specifically), but I thought it was strictly limit games.

I really think Pot-Limit hold'em is the best game on the planet. For whatever reason, it hasn't caught on as well as no-limit or limit.Pot Limit in my opinion is a true art and is the hardest of the three to master.

I play NL mostly except obviously in stud games. To me, limit requires a completely different set of skills than NL. It's much more of a math game where as NL is more of a personal game. It's impossible to call one game easier than the other. (Although I would consider NL easier given the pool of players it has.)I would like to add to the OP: Don't try to fool people into thinkin you play the blinds that you claim. No one who plays 10/20 or whatever blinds you said NL would have to ask this type of assinine question on an online forum. You would have already tried it out for yourself.