why play limit holdem

Im only 20 yrs old but I have been playing no limit for some time now, like 6-7 years. I started out small like .25/.50 blinds NL but now I am playin 5/10 and sometimes 10/20 NL, I know you guys dont care at all about that though.My question is, why do people play limit? To those who do, are you scared to play no limit because you can lose all your money? To many swings? I have played it before and it is just a drawing game, obviously there is skill but no nearly as much as in NL. Sorry if it sounds like Im knockin holdem, because Im not, Im just curious why people play it instead of NL.thankssam

• Replies 198
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NLHE is about exposing a very large edge while LHE is all about exploiting small edges. Most people who learn all the concepts and intracacies of limit are a more well rounded player because of it.

Limit hold'em is also easier for most people to make a living at because of its more scientific approach. You can know how much your supposed to win (1BB/Hr) and a lot more than you can with Nl.

Right now, NL is an extremely profitable game at the micro limits because of the explosion of it on T.V etc bringing many novices to the tables who think they can make some quick cash. its amazing some of the plays and call downs these new players will make when you call or put them all in. i don't understand why anyone would even play limit at this point if they are half-way decent players. There is simply way too much $ to be made at NL right now.

Im only 20 yrs old but I have been playing no limit for some time now, like 6-7 years. I started out small like .25/.50 blinds NL but now I am playin 5/10 and sometimes 10/20 NL, I know you guys dont care at all about that though.My question is, why do people play limit? To those who do, are you scared to play no limit because you can lose all your money? To many swings? I have played it before and it is just a drawing game, obviously there is skill but no nearly as much as in NL. Sorry if it sounds like Im knockin holdem, because Im not, Im just curious why people play it instead of NL.thankssam
dude, you are knocking Limit. You have much to learn young Padawn. I'll be honest, I really doubt that you've been playing NL as long as you claim. Only since hole cams has NL blown up, in fact up until recently, the tournament of preference was Limit. No, I'm not scared og Big swings, I just don't like them. I play limit because its hard to be a winning player. You need good discipline in Limit, I personally find it harder and more skillfull than NL. I also love it when NL guys sit down at a Limit table and whinre about not being able to protect their hands, I just take your money. Limit is a good mental excercise for me, and I love limit
No Limit HE is a substantially easier game than Limit. Read Mason Malmuths essay on it in Poker Essays.
Right now, NL is an extremely profitable game at the micro limits because of the explosion of it on T.V etc bringing many novices to the tables who think they can make some quick cash.  its amazing some of the plays and call downs these new players will make when you call or put them all in.  i don't understand why anyone would even play limit at this point if they are half-way decent players.  There is simply way too much $ to be made at NL right now.
the same goes for limit. you should see what people raise and cap with and then call down because they are curious to see what you have. And they don't stop doing it because it's just a few bucks to see what the other person has. And they don't realize how much they are losing over and over by doing that. NLHE is exploiting a large edge and LHE is about small edges.
dude, you are knocking Limit. You have much to learn young Padawn. I'll be honest, I really doubt that you've been playing NL as long as you claim. Only since hole cams has NL blown up, in fact up until recently, the tournament of preference was Limit. No, I'm not scared og Big swings, I just don't like them. I play limit because its hard to be a winning player. You need good discipline in Limit, I personally find it harder and more skillfull than NL. I also love it when NL guys sit down at a Limit table and whinre about not being able to protect their hands, I just take your money. Limit is a good mental excercise for me, and I love limit
I have played Limit hold em at the smaller blind levels and it does seem like a card catching contest to me. There is simply very little incentive for your opponent to fold when he only has to call a $6 bet on the turn to see his river draw card hit. And when I played, it seemed like 5-7 players were seeing a flop as opposed to the more typical 3-4 in NL. Its just easier to protect a hand in NL.

Isn't the 1BB/hr standard only for the high limit games? I think lower limit players expect a better return than that per hour. People play limit because....well it is just is a easier game to play well. We don't have to sweat huge raises and for the most part you know exactly where you stand with your hand; you are either getting odds to call or you are not.

I have played Limit hold em at the smaller blind levels and it does seem like a card catching contest to me. There is simply very little incentive for your opponent to fold when he only has to call a $6 bet on the turn to see his river draw card hit. And when I played, it seemed like 5-7 players were seeing a flop as opposed to the more typical 3-4 in NL. Its just easier to protect a hand in NL.
To me it seems like you're saying people chase to much. Why on earth would you not want that? I just don't get it. I'd rather make my determined bet and have people draw to catch up with me than bet whatever the "i'm protecting my hand bet" is and they have to fold cause my bet was to big.
most people play limit because up until online poker and about 3 years ago live there were only a handful of places in the world where you could find a legal no limit game. Also there are other poker games besides holdem and virtually none of them are played no limit. Of the three structures ... no limit, pot limit, limit; no limit takes the least amount of skill with pot limit being the toughest to master.

Like Sklansky says, "money does not appear from no where." You are making money SPECIFICALLY because there are 5 people calling your preflop raise even though you hold AA. These are the same people hitting thier gutshots, thier running flushes, that river two pair. These guys are the only reason anyone is making money in limit, so I never gripe about them even with all the bad beats I take. I think multitabling online makes limit a more consistently profitable game than NL right now, altho NL is still where the biggest fish are.

id much rather make a ton of small decisions over the course of a session than one or two very very large onesim not afraid to play no limit and if there is a really soft player sitting down at a table ill be happy to gamble wit him

most people play limit because up until online poker and about 3 years ago live there were only a handful of places in the world where you could find a legal no limit game. Also there are other poker games besides holdem and virtually none of them are played no limit. Of the three structures ... no limit, pot limit, limit; no limit takes the least amount of skill with pot limit being the toughest to master.
A lot of people would disagree with you there. TJ Cloutier says in Championship no-limit and pot limit holdem that no limit tournaments are so much tougher to win then limit because there is much more skill involved.
I play both NL and Limit, whoever says limit is more skilled than NL has got to be kidding me. The only thing you need to do to beat limit is read SSHE and have enough dicipline to follow itEDIT: note im not saying the limit requires no skill i am just stating that limit definately does not require more skill than NL.

I have played both many times, and I like NL tournaments, but in a ring game, I much prefer limit. Limit is better for me because it is more mathematical and NL is more about reading people. Limit is not a card catching contest because all players catch their cards equally in the long run. Limit HE is about winning the most when you have the best hand and losing the least when you do not.To win at limit, you have to consistently play well. To win at NL, you need to win an occasional big pot and avoid losing big pots. In fact, in NL, most of the hands you play are irrelevant. I understand that most of the fish are playing NL now, and I could probably make more by switching, but I can find plenty of fish playing limit, and I am more comfortable with the game.

I think LHE takes a lot more discipline as it is a less creative game then nl. Like you arent ever given major decisions in limit holdem. I believe that if a limit player switched over to a high level nl cash game (5/10 nl and up) they would struggle much more then a solid nl player switching over to 10/20 limit.

Right now, NL is an extremely profitable game at the micro limits because of the explosion of it on T.V etc bringing many novices to the tables who think they can make some quick cash. its amazing some of the plays and call downs these new players will make when you call or put them all in. i don't understand why anyone would even play limit at this point if they are half-way decent players. There is simply way too much $ to be made at NL right now.
There are many fish at limit too, theres way more fish at limit than NL its just that 1 NL fish is equal to like 2 or 3 limit fishes lol
First of all, I pay for my tuition through online poker and I have been playing consistently since I was in 8th grade now I am a junior in college. You can not possibly think there is more skill in holdem compared to NL. In my opinion people who just play holdem are not nearly as good as consistent NL players.Also, I love it when holdem players sit down at the NL tables and its like takin candy from a baby because they will call all in's on gut shot straight draws. If you think you are so much more skilled than me in NL, why do play heads up sometime. I have an account on just about every poker site but I normally play on Royal Vegas, Lucky Nuggett, and Full Tilt. Im not goin to play you in Holdem because I suck at it, but since holdem players are so much more skilled than NL players you should have no problem playing me heads up.sam

NL requires more imagination & guts to be a winning player. In Limit, you aren't getting your balls put in a vice holding KK with a flop of A A J and the player who just called reraising your bet on the turn. You can simply fold without too much investment lost.. Or...you just call knowing it will probably only cost you a few more bets to determine if you really are holding the best hand and are getting bluffed on the board. However in NL, you have to be prepared to call your whole stack at any point in the game during any hand you are involved in. That is where the real concentration comes. You just cannot make any mistakes. Where as in limit, you can make a few mistakes at KEY points in a hand and still only lost a fraction of what you could potentially lost in a NL game. The risk is huge and the reward is potentially greater.Not knocking Hold 'em, but you people are dissillusioned if you dont think NL is the tougher game and requires more skill to master.

I didn't read any of the replies.I just want to say that i am primarily a limit hold em player, and i wish to laugh at your post, and comment that if you have been playing no limit hold em for 6-7 years, you would definately know a thing or two about limit and that it is not a waste of time.hahahahahahahhahahahathank you have a good day

i play both limit and NLHE. also omaha hi and stud hi/lo. i do this mainly to mix it up. i tend to get bored playing the same game (regardless of the stakes) and that is when i start to leak, when i get bored.i think KDawg said it best:You need good discipline in Limit, I personally find it harder and more skillfull than NL. the people who wrote that limit is easier are the same ones that said you can't beat players off of draws with minimum raises. i believe that would make limit harder due to more river showdowns. yes there are way more suckouts in limit but in the long run it's the fish who pay you.good limit players are disciplined enough to only drawout on the big pots, when the odds call for it. a whole other facet of the game that isn't seen much in NL...

Not knocking Hold 'em, but you people are dissillusioned if you dont think NL is the tougher game and requires more skill to master.LOL, how could you possibly think holdem is harder than NL. Your nuts, explain to me why the main event of the WSOP is NL, the winner is considered the best poker player at that time in the wolrd right? If holdem was a harder game to play then the main event would be holdem right?
Uh...you may want to re-read my post.

It's much much easier to play 8 tables of limit than NL. Limit is a more mathematical game, and you can play like a robot and still win (except at the higher limits.)I've played both NL and Limit, and I like both. A lot of people like to say 'oh limit is so much easier.' or 'Oh, NL is so much easier' Well, imo it is subjective. Some people have the natural talent and abilities to excel at Limit. Some people have the natural talents to beat NL. For instance I would wager most A+ math grad student could be taught to win limit for a decent amount of cash. And on the other side, with only a general understanding of math, someone who excels at reading people and knowing when to bluff and when to fold could excel at NL.