Live 1-2NLHE hand from AC last weekend:1P: calls $22P: folds3P: Raise to $104P: fold5P: Calls $106P: Calls $107P: FoldsButton (hero): Calls $10 with Qc QdSB: foldsBB: Calls $81P: foldsPot: $50Flop: 2h 4c 8h3P: Checks5P: Bets $106P: Calls $10Hero: Raises to $20BB: Folds3P: Folds5P: Raises to $406P: FoldsHero: Raises to $1205P: Pauses for a solid 5 minutes and goes all in for $264 after staring at me for the majority of the time and replaying the hand in his head several times.Hero: ??? (pot is at $463, facing $144 raise)This was the second hand I played, about 5 minutes into the first session of the weekend. Needless to say, this isn't the type of tangle I like to get in before getting a feel for the pace of the game and opponent playing styles. The player in 5th position had a stack w/in $20 of mine, showed down one winning hand that was played in a TAG manner (trapped with a flopped set).Anyhow, what would you do?

I would reraise preflop. I would make a larger raise on the flop. As played, I'd probably stack off. The villain is unlikely to have a larger overpair and he may very well have a draw.

I would reraise preflop. I would make a larger raise on the flop. As played, I'd probably stack off. The villain is unlikely to have a larger overpair and he may very well have a draw.
yeah, I wasn't happy with the preflop and initial raise either. I was trying to keep the pot small being fresh to the game, but after meeting resistance on the flop raise my thinking switched to defending against the large ace flush/pair draw.

Raise preflop, make a real raise on the flop. Should've been at least $90. The way it played out, you can't fold, but I don't expect to be ahead. bet/tiny 3b/5b shove on the flop in 1/2 live is almost always the nuts (or here, any set probably)

Raise preflop, make a real raise on the flop. Should've been at least $90. The way it played out, you can't fold, but I don't expect to be ahead. bet/tiny 3b/5b shove on the flop in 1/2 live is almost always the nuts (or here, any set probably)
don't you think a set would have triggered a less conflicted response to the $80 raise? I mean, it's one thing to act before making a move. Most performances last less than a minute though. This guy almost had time called on him prior to going all in, which sent the message that he couldn't stomach seeing another card before ending the betting. So on one hand his betting signaled a strong hand, but his reaction to the large re-raise on the flop suggested that he had no set.. at best an overpair and unlikely that he had AA.

But it's not a large reraise. Any raise at all puts him basically all in so he might as well do it. And it's very possible that he is thinking exactly what you are - that he doesn't want a card to come off - but that doesn't mean he doesn't have a set. Everyone in live poker fears the flush draw. He probably has you put on Ax of hearts or something like that. But I can literally count on less than one hand the # of times I have seen someone lead, then 3bet (and a small one at that) and then 5 bet shove in live poker. And it's always the nuts. Also, you're putting too much stock in how long he waited to shove. People do this when strong as well, to give the impression of being weak. How long someone takes to act isn't a tell.Besides, as I said, it's not like I'm telling you to fold, you have to call. But I don't think you're going to win very often.

Live 1-2NLHE hand from AC last weekend:STACKS? 1P: calls $22P: folds3P: Raise to $104P: fold5P: Calls $106P: Calls $107P: FoldsButton (hero): Calls $10 with Qc QdRAISE TO $50SB: foldsBB: Calls $81P: foldsPot: $50Flop: 2h 4c 8h3P: Checks5P: Bets $106P: Calls $10Hero: Raises to $20JUST SHOVES HERE BECAUSE THE POT SHOULD BE BIGGERBB: Folds3P: Folds5P: Raises to $406P: FoldsHero: Raises to $1205P: Pauses for a solid 5 minutes and goes all in for $264 after staring at me for the majority of the time and replaying the hand in his head several times.Hero: ??? (pot is at $463, facing $144 raise)This was the second hand I played, about 5 minutes into the first session of the weekend. Needless to say, this isn't the type of tangle I like to get in before getting a feel for the pace of the game and opponent playing styles. The player in 5th position had a stack w/in $20 of mine, showed down one winning hand that was played in a TAG manner (trapped with a flopped set).Anyhow, what would you do?

RAISE TO $50SB: foldsBB: Calls $81P: foldsPot: $50Flop: 2h 4c 8h3P: Checks5P: Bets $106P: Calls $10Hero: Raises to $20JUST SHOVES HERE BECAUSE THE POT SHOULD BE BIGGERThanks-I like it! For one, my game could use some improvement in pot-building. During a several sessions I had difficulty getting calls on large bets after the first couple hours, so I adjusted by playing slower and building on other people's raises. But this strategy has the obvious disadvantage of leaving me vulnerable to better hands..

RAISE TO $50SB: foldsBB: Calls $81P: foldsPot: $50Flop: 2h 4c 8h3P: Checks5P: Bets $106P: Calls $10Hero: Raises to $20JUST SHOVES HERE BECAUSE THE POT SHOULD BE BIGGERThanks-I like it! For one, my game could use some improvement in pot-building. During a several sessions I had difficulty getting calls on large bets after the first couple hours, so I adjusted by playing slower and building on other people's raises. But this strategy has the obvious disadvantage of leaving me vulnerable to better hands..
winning as much as possible >>>>>>>>>>>>>> winning as little as possible

when 18 people see the flop you should proceed cautiously with one pair. When you're holding big pairs you want to prevent this from happening; PF is an easy 3-bet. When you don't 3-bet you make the game soooooooooooooo easy for everyone else...

I took a few seconds to think through what he could be holding, and figured it was probably about 50-50 that he had a better hand than me (99, 10 10, JJ could produce the same play & AA would have imo triggered a raise preflop, so he either had a set, KK or one of the other mid high pairs).After the call the pot is just about $600, I turn over QQ and the guy sinks in his chair before turning over QQ. Tie ball game! I was relieved. Turn & river didn't change anything and we split the pot. Definitely a hand that I'll remember for a little while..

minraises are gay... and when you minraise there... a lot of hands get angry and go ROOOOAAAAR... so yes, now you have to stack off
LOL....that's hilarious...anyways, u have to re-raise to about $50-60 on the flop.on the flop, you have to raise bigger.as played, i probably fold....edit***i didnt realize the flop re-raise was so small compared to pot...you have to call.