To figure out the NBA salary cap rules is too confusing...It might be because we know the NHL situation inside out, but cap holds, trade exceptions, luxury tax hits...Too complicated for me..
This should help you clear it up...http://www.sportspickle.com/might-have-hea...ried-toothpaste
David Kahn frees up cap space by clearing out dried toothpasteDavid Kahn, president of basketball operations for the Minnesota Timberwolves, successfully opened up significant cap space this morning by chipping away the toothpaste that had dried inside the cap of his tube of Crest. "It took me a few hours, but I think I will be able to screw the cap back on now," Kahn said. "I had toothpaste all over the sink. The next project is to figure out how to get all of this toothpaste off my sink. I think I might try to light it on fire." Kahn took the day off to work on his toothpaste problem, missing a call at the office from Lebron James about signing with the Timberwolves.
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes, its not about how many people follow you, but who wants to follow you. Its about the quality, not just the quantity.   You have a new follower request on Twitter: Men of Sapphir

I would guess most players aren't that involved. They likely give their agent a list of priorities and the agent tries to get the best contract possible.   The agent relays the info to the player an

I'm bringing my Twitter into the real life world.   First day of class today, I sit near the front since I'm a nerd, while we're waiting to begin, prof asks my name, I say Zach... "last name?" Hende

lol, those are both good.1. The one thought I keep having thats pissing me off that no one in the media is asking. If winning is all that mattered to Lebron, and Cleveland was his first choice.....why couldnt he convince Wade+Bosh to come to HIM? (I probably know the answer, just wondering why he isnt being called out on it)
It would have been impossible to do in Cleveland due to the salary cap rules. They could have done a sign and trade to get Bosh if that was their desire but would have been impossible to get all 3 in Cleveland.
Do you think they might sell a jersey or two with these guys in town? I asked a sports marketing guy and he figures the ancillary income from this signing would be in excess of 100 million dollars. With that income, the Heat can pretend the salary cap doesnt even exist, and spend 30 million over the cap, pay the 30 million penalty, and still be 40 million to the good BEFORE they win a championship
That has nothing at all to do with the amount of money they can pay the other players. The cap rules are going to dictate that after they sign Mike Miller every other player on the roster will be a minimum contract. The minimum for veteran players is higher the more years you've been in the league.Just because you want to go over the cap and pay the tax etc doesn't mean you can do it and in fact a team that starts under the cap has no way to do what you're suggesting. It's actually impossible.
I have read and heard some say that this could kill the league. Especially if the rumors are true about them getting some other huge superstar in FA in 2012. Thoughts?
There was a rumor at the time of the last Olympics that Lebron, Wade, Bosh, and Chris Paul made a pact to all play together somewhere. Since three of them are now in place, people are starting to wonder if it's true. Chris Paul's contract is up in 2013, but he can opt out in 2012. The idea that this trio could kill the league is only a touch above ridiculous.
There was a rumor at the time of the last Olympics that Lebron, Wade, Bosh, and Chris Paul made a pact to all play together somewhere. Since three of them are now in place, people are starting to wonder if it's true. Chris Paul's contract is up in 2013, but he can opt out in 2012. The idea that this trio could kill the league is only a touch above ridiculous.
I don't know, is it that crazy? Again, I don't pretend to pay much attention to the NBA at all. I think the last 12 hours is pretty much the most time I have spent reading/listening/talking about the NBA in the last 10 years. But if you have some sort of dream team like this what happens to the Golden States, OK City, Milwaukee, etc (I guess all the other small market teams). It;s not like building through the draft is all that viable in the NBA since only the top 4 or 5 picks are the decent ones year in and year out. I mean sure, things will keep on trucking in Miami, NY, and LA. I guess I just see the point by some who talked about this. I am not trying to continue my streak with you as being the idiot sports fan, just curious is all.
It would have been impossible to do in Cleveland due to the salary cap rules. They could have done a sign and trade to get Bosh if that was their desire but would have been impossible to get all 3 in Cleveland.That has nothing at all to do with the amount of money they can pay the other players. The cap rules are going to dictate that after they sign Mike Miller every other player on the roster will be a minimum contract. The minimum for veteran players is higher the more years you've been in the league.Just because you want to go over the cap and pay the tax etc doesn't mean you can do it and in fact a team that starts under the cap has no way to do what you're suggesting. It's actually impossible.
Bob I understand that its impossible with the current salary structure in Cleveland, however if they wanted to make it happen in Cleveland it would of been done..From what it looks like this was planned a LONG time ago..Some people suggest even since draft day....If Lebron went to the Cavs, two years ago and said clear some cap space and we will make it happen, why not..Or is that collusion?

yay, Raptors get the Heats first rounders for Bosh. Any chance we get a lottery pick there to go with our guarantee lottery pick?Now the talk is guys like Shaq and Iverson going to Miami. Cant wait to see Bird, Magic and MJ on the floor with them.

The three guys took a little under the max, about 15 million each less over the course of time. I am too drunk right now to figure out what that means for other signings they can make. I can tell you this though. Everybody is talking about the big three in the east being the Heat, Celtics, and Magic.....The Chicago Bulls right now are a sleeper even if you can call them that. The signings of JJ Redick, Kyle Korver, and Boozer make this one of the most balanced teams in the league right now.Rose isn't a great shooter but he can penetrate and slash like nobody's business. With that, they can always kick it out to guys like JJ Redick and Kyle Korver who are two of the best shooters in the league. Combined with a frontcourt of Noah and Boozer, this is the team to watch out for.

Bob I understand that its impossible with the current salary structure in Cleveland, however if they wanted to make it happen in Cleveland it would of been done..From what it looks like this was planned a LONG time ago..Some people suggest even since draft day....If Lebron went to the Cavs, two years ago and said clear some cap space and we will make it happen, why not..Or is that collusion?
Does anyone else find it ridiculous that Miami was able to do this? To me sports is about building a team by drafting well, signing the right free agents to good contracts, making good trades, etc. Even with signing these guys the Heat have like 5 guys under contract for next year. I understand that in the NBA teams have alot less players than the other leagues but a team should not be able to basically start from scratch on a given year. A few years ago the Celtics did the same thing with Pierce, Allen and Garnett, they werent all free agents but it was pretty much the same situation where they just used their cap room and appeal to play in Boston to get them cheap. Its not like the Heat brilliantly planned to have this space either...the Knicks, Nets, Bulls, and Clippers were in pretty much the same situation.
Does anyone else find it ridiculous that Miami was able to do this? To me sports is about building a team by drafting well, signing the right free agents to good contracts, making good trades, etc. Even with signing these guys the Heat have like 5 guys under contract for next year. I understand that in the NBA teams have alot less players than the other leagues but a team should not be able to basically start from scratch on a given year. A few years ago the Celtics did the same thing with Pierce, Allen and Garnett, they werent all free agents but it was pretty much the same situation where they just used their cap room and appeal to play in Boston to get them cheap. Its not like the Heat brilliantly planned to have this space either...the Knicks, Nets, Bulls, and Clippers were in pretty much the same situation.
ya, this all sorta rubs me the wrong way, but I can sometimes be a grumpy old man, and wonder whats wrong with sports as it is.But Ive been thinking about this a lot the last day or so (Im in Florida right now), and really, Im thinking this is a fun thing for me, cause as a peripheral fan, Ill kinda enjoy watching the Heat now. I could care less about most random NBA games, this suddenly raises my interest level. I dont suddenly have any added respect for anyone though, this is just a team and some superstars manipulating the system to put together an all star team. As been said, you cant do this in hockey, unless suddenly 8/10 NHL stars all were UFA's and signed somehow on 1team.
As been said, you cant do this in hockey, unless suddenly 8/10 NHL stars all were UFA's and signed somehow on 1team.
hey joey jo jo.....which thread was it that you and I argued over which was a more team sport, NBA or NHL?I gotta say, I find it funny that an NBA team with only half a roster, and barely a starting 5 is already an 8-5 favourite to win the championship.
I'm just somebody who thought I was in the hockey forum not the basketball forum. Apparently I was mistaken.
here's the dealio. we've had basically the same set of posters in here for like four years now. the hockey forum is now more like hockey forum regulars discuss everything under the sun forum.you're welcome to join in!
hey joey jo jo.....which thread was it that you and I argued over which was a more team sport, NBA or NHL?I gotta say, I find it funny that an NBA team with only half a roster, and barely a starting 5 is already an 8-5 favourite to win the championship.
To be fair, that line is probably a lot of hype and expectation. In reality, odds are probably more than 11/5.
here's the dealio. we've had basically the same set of posters in here for like four years now. the hockey forum is now more like hockey forum regulars discuss everything under the sun forum.you're welcome to join in!
That was nice. Seconded!

This one is golden, figure out who its from...Someone we all know:Just finished a 30 minute dump. I love getting paid to poop. I want to sign a 4 yr extension with the toilet

This one is golden, figure out who its from...Someone we all know:Just finished a 30 minute dump. I love getting paid to poop. I want to sign a 4 yr extension with the toilet
the islanders offered the toilet $10mil/year for 7 years to sign with them, unfortunately for dwf
Clearly Dan. If not. Sorry Dan.

Cincinnati-Philadelphia is 0-0 after 8. Halladay has walked 1, given up 4 hits. Rookie Travis Wood has a perfect game going, with 92 pitches thrown so far. His third career start.Here's what BP said about Wood pre-season. He was ranked the Reds 5th top prospect, and not in the top 100 overall prospects.5. Travis Wood, LHPDOB: 2/6/87Height/Weight: 6-0/165Bats/Throws: R/LDrafted/Signed: 2nd round, 2005, Bryant HS (AR)2009 Stats: 1.21 ERA (119.0-78-37-103) at Double-A (19 G); 3.14 ERA (48.2-43-16-32) at Triple-A (8 G)Last Year’s Ranking: Not rankedYear in Review: All but written off after years of struggles, Wood, once a highly-regarded lefty, returned to form by dominating the Double-A Southern League, and then he more than held his own in eight late-season Triple-A starts.The Good: Wood's changeup is the best in the organization. It features nearly perfect arm action with considerable velocity separation, and heavy break late. He sets the pitch up well with an 88-92 mph fastball with cutting action, and he showed much better control in 2009 with a simplified delivery.The Bad: Wood's curveball is a 40-45 pitch on the 20-80 scouting scale, and he'll need to find more consistency with it to succeed in the big leagues. He's undersized, and some wonder if he can handle a 32-start workload.Ephemera: In Wood's last three Double-A starts against Jacksonville (Marlins), he fired 22 scoreless innings, allowing 10 hits and striking out 23.Perfect World Projection: He has the tools to be a good fourth starter.Path to the Big Leagues: Wood is close, but the number of young arms in the Reds' rotation picture could initially move him to the bullpen.Timetable: Wood will get a long look this spring, with an outside shot of breaking camp in the big leagues.

If it wasnt for free agency, and players being able to sign elsewhere, pro sports would be full of teams like the Big M's: really REALLY good, able to sustain it for long periods of time, and almost impossible to break up.
But if you have some sort of dream team like this what happens to the Golden States, OK City, Milwaukee, etc (I guess all the other small market teams). It;s not like building through the draft is all that viable in the NBA since only the top 4 or 5 picks are the decent ones year in and year out. I mean sure, things will keep on trucking in Miami, NY, and LA.
I don't see how this changes anything for small market teams. But OKC and Milwaukee have some pretty good teams right now; the reason they're not going to attract top level free agents is because, well, because it's Oklahoma City and Milwaukee. I guess I'm just not sure what your point is.
Rose isn't a great shooter but he can penetrate and slash like nobody's business.
He's not a great 3 point shooter, but he's a very good mid-range shooter (4th best among PG's).
A few years ago the Celtics did the same thing with Pierce, Allen and Garnett, they werent all free agents but it was pretty much the same situation where they just used their cap room and appeal to play in Boston to get them cheap.
No.
I don't remember. You hockey guys are all over the place in your threads. I also don't remember what I said, so I don't know how to mold this situation to fit my previous argument. But I will say that this makes for a fascinating season. I want Miami to not be able to get any quality players to fill out their roster. I want to see if 3 all-stars plus gobbledygook can win a championship.