@43_Kadri: @TSNBobMcKenzie false bobo

THAT ^^^ was the tweet. Is there some sort of famous clown named bobo that I'm unaware of? Are we sure it wasn't just a nickname Bob has amongst people who know him? I don't know. I certainly wouldn't leap towards Kadri calling him a clown any faster than I would toward it being a typo/nickname/innocent mistake or whatever.

true but if anyone calls someone bobo the first thing that comes to my head is bobo the clown. Maybe he hit the extra o in error.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes, its not about how many people follow you, but who wants to follow you. Its about the quality, not just the quantity.   You have a new follower request on Twitter: Men of Sapphir

I would guess most players aren't that involved. They likely give their agent a list of priorities and the agent tries to get the best contract possible.   The agent relays the info to the player an

I'm bringing my Twitter into the real life world.   First day of class today, I sit near the front since I'm a nerd, while we're waiting to begin, prof asks my name, I say Zach... "last name?" Hende

@43_Kadri: @TSNBobMcKenzie false bobo

THAT ^^^ was the tweet. Is there some sort of famous clown named bobo that I'm unaware of? Are we sure it wasn't just a nickname Bob has amongst people who know him? I don't know. I certainly wouldn't leap towards Kadri calling him a clown any faster than I would toward it being a typo/nickname/innocent mistake or whatever.

A nickname? Ok, well, maybe I guess.

My money was always on "It was a typo."

I'm certain that is what he will say, and I'm certain it will either be a typo, or some friend of his took his phone or some other excuse.

Also, WTF, youve never heard of bobo the clown? lol

Most likely in order of probability

1. Typo

2. Trying to say Bob "O" but not realizing that bobo is also the name of a famous clown from long before he was born since the average 22 year old is pretty clueless about things that happened longer than 5 years ago.

3. calling him a clown

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 18h

Kadri believed to be looking long-term (6 yrs in Tavares stratosphere of $5.5M per). Leafs want short, 2 yrs at P.K. Subban $ ($2.875M per).

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 10h

"@43_Kadri: @TSNBobMcKenzie false bobo"/Feel free to provide any details, Nazem, but I'm satisfied with info conveyed in my tweets today.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 8h

BTW, no one asked, but "Bobo's" personal take on where Kadri negotiations with TOR are likely headed:

As long as TOR holds firm on wanting 2 yr bridge deal, Kadri has no leverage other than witholding services and hoping his absence impacts.

Failing that, Kadri makes case for closer to Matt Duchene $ ($3.5M per) than P.K. Subban $ ($2.875M per). We'll see if TOR moves off that #.

1. Typo

2. Trying to say Bob "O" but not realizing that bobo is also the name of a famous clown from long before he was born since the average 22 year old is pretty clueless about things that happened longer than 5 years ago.

3. calling him a clown

Reverse that and you are correct

1. Typo

3. calling him a clown

Google tells me that Bobo the clown was famous in the early/mid 20th century. So you may want to revise point 2 to clarify that the average 22 year old (and most professional hockey players who have spent their entire life living and breathing hockey would not be consideed average) might be clueless as to mildly famous entertainers in a genre that doesn't exist anymore from 30 years before they were born. I've only heard of "Bobo the Clown" in the sense that it sounds like a clowny name. Probably because it sounds like Bozo, which is probably a more famous clown.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 18h

Kadri believed to be looking long-term (6 yrs in Tavares stratosphere of $5.5M per). Leafs want short, 2 yrs at P.K. Subban $ ($2.875M per).

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 10h

"@43_Kadri: @TSNBobMcKenzie false bobo"/Feel free to provide any details, Nazem, but I'm satisfied with info conveyed in my tweets today.

Bob McKenzie@TSNBobMcKenzie 8h

BTW, no one asked, but "Bobo's" personal take on where Kadri negotiations with TOR are likely headed:

As long as TOR holds firm on wanting 2 yr bridge deal, Kadri has no leverage other than witholding services and hoping his absence impacts.

Failing that, Kadri makes case for closer to Matt Duchene $ ($3.5M per) than P.K. Subban $ ($2.875M per). We'll see if TOR moves off that #.

This is why the RFA rules are so ridculous. Why wouldn't the Leafs just offer $1M/year?

Also love that everyone is so full of crap, and so happy to "leak" information through mouthpiece media stories, that "anonymous" information provided by someone like Bobo is probably more accurate than explicit words from the player.

I'm just reposting what Bob was floating out as how the negotiations are going. 99% certain he is getting his info from someone in the Leafs organization -- perhaps he is getting jerked around by them to sway public opinion but I hardly say "bobo" is sufficient to qualify as explicit words.

Yup.

He is calling out Bobo for mis reporting.

Here's a question. How often do players not know what the initial inflated numbers that their agent is throwing out there are ? I mean they know in general how much they think they can get but how involved are they in all the small details ?

Here's a question. How often do players not know what the initial inflated numbers that their agent is throwing out there are ? I mean they know in general how much they think they can get but how involved are they in all the small details ?

Very involved IMO.

In this case more involved than agent.

I would guess most players aren't that involved. They likely give their agent a list of priorities and the agent tries to get the best contract possible.

The agent relays the info to the player and they discuss things and the player provides input.

Kadri's agent may indeed be looking for Tavares money but EVERYONE knows that's not going to happen.

Kadri will likely sign a 2-yr deal at $3M per.

• Like 2

so you're saying that his agent has to deal with a dysfunctional situation where a lot of his Family are giving their opinions ?

Yes in my opinion..

Agent can only do so much...If the player( the family) pushes a certain number he has to try and negotiate.

I think they arent as far as has been reported by BOBO...But he will possibly holdout as he knows the Leafs need him..

Franson on the other hand, doesnt have much of a bargaining chip..The Leafs are very deep in the position, and they are ok to proceed without him as long as they need.

Judging by the tweet by McKenzie and the response by Kadri I believe that the source was in fact someone high up in the Toronto Maple Leafs Front Office. Fenxis is completely right that this wasn't a "Source" as much as someone saying, "Go tell Bob McKenzie to report this on TSN". Bob gets his news and he reports it. Kadri calls him out on it because that's the way social media has changed the process. Old days it would at least take a day or two in the newspaper to get the rebuttal. Instead now we get it in 15 minutes and get the hilarious "Bobo".

I think Kadri is shooting for the moon and there's nothing better to get the media to report on it for days on end. My example was Ryan Smyth to Edmonton 2 years ago by the Kings. There's no way in hell Dean Lomardbi didn't leak that rumor to McKenzie. He put 100% pressure on Steve Tambellini and it was great. Tambellini was hesitant about making the move since Smyth is pretty old and pretty slow. Of course once it hit the media we had two different things happen. Ryan Smyth immediately goes public and says he didn't ask for a trade(since he doesn't want to hurt the Oilers chances making a trade), and the public now immediately wants to bring back their hero for ten years. It was all a ploy to make something happen.

The Leafs front office did the same thing here. They wanted the public perception to be on the side of the Leafs. I think the problem with the Leafs fans is they always believe their players are better than are. He's done it for one year, when he does it for two more then give him a huge contract and pay him off.

Whatever that's my rant, teams need better cost certainty.

Judging by the tweet by McKenzie and the response by Kadri I believe that the source was in fact someone high up in the Toronto Maple Leafs Front Office. Fenxis is completely right that this wasn't a "Source" as much as someone saying, "Go tell Bob McKenzie to report this on TSN". Bob gets his news and he reports it. Kadri calls him out on it because that's the way social media has changed the process. Old days it would at least take a day or two in the newspaper to get the rebuttal. Instead now we get it in 15 minutes and get the hilarious "Bobo".

I think Kadri is shooting for the moon and there's nothing better to get the media to report on it for days on end. My example was Ryan Smyth to Edmonton 2 years ago by the Kings. There's no way in hell Dean Lomardbi didn't leak that rumor to McKenzie. He put 100% pressure on Steve Tambellini and it was great. Tambellini was hesitant about making the move since Smyth is pretty old and pretty slow. Of course once it hit the media we had two different things happen. Ryan Smyth immediately goes public and says he didn't ask for a trade(since he doesn't want to hurt the Oilers chances making a trade), and the public now immediately wants to bring back their hero for ten years. It was all a ploy to make something happen.

The Leafs front office did the same thing here. They wanted the public perception to be on the side of the Leafs. I think the problem with the Leafs fans is they always believe their players are better than are. He's done it for one year, when he does it for two more then give him a huge contract and pay him off.

Whatever that's my rant, teams need better cost certainty.

I think you're exactly right. It infuriates me when media people (and they pretty much all do it) "report" these things from "sources" when they're nothing but PR tricks. All sides do it, though they of course give less credence to information that actually comes from PR people and agents. If your "source" has a vested interested in you reporting the news and is not in any kind of danger from having it reported non-anonymously (other than from the exact same PR perspective that he's trying to win), then you are simply not a reporter if you agree to report it anonymously, you are a mouthpiece. But of course, since the public has demonstrated a happy willingness to be manipulated in this way, anyone who doesn't do it is falling behind, so pretty much every major sports reporter does it now.

I think I fail to see why just because there is an angle for the source, why its no longer a source.

Ya, OBV many sources have a stake in the reporting. If you think reporters are merely just dopes who don't get that, then I'm not sure how you know this.

Who knows how many of them check for secondary sources and how many don't. I know I don't.

I think I fail to see why just because there is an angle for the source, why its no longer a source.

Ya, OBV many sources have a stake in the reporting. If you think reporters are merely just dopes who don't get that, then I'm not sure how you know this.

Who knows how many of them check for secondary sources and how many don't. I know I don't.

I just mean that if Bob McKenzie go a press release from a player's agent, he wouldn't call it a "source". If a GM calls him and says that Kadri's camp is asking for $6M/year, and Bob believes that he is saying that so he can win the media/PR war, than he isn't being a reporter by letting the GM voice this information anonymously, he is a PR agent for that GM.