(This is a longer version of a twitter rant I just posted, so ignore it if you don't care)

"The younger generation in this country (perhaps resembling their grandparents rather than their parents) is less suburban minded than its elders, as it has become aware that the uncontrolled sprawl of our communities only aggravates their problems, and that the solution lies in re-shaping the city as a whole."

That quote is from 1956, but it might as well have been written today.

So the 20-somethings in the 50s wanted to go back to the city... but their children, those born around the late 50s, early 60s are those who yearned for suburban seclusion, and now, those of us born ~1980-1994ish, the "millennials" are prone to wanting to return to the city. That's quite interesting to me. Are we in a pattern here? Can we build cities well enough this time around so that my kids will want to stay, rather than flee to suburbs? Will be interesting to see, and certainly some interesting perspective on the matter.

Two things:

They want to stay, it's just not financially possible and not desirable.

Flee is a bad term

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes, its not about how many people follow you, but who wants to follow you. Its about the quality, not just the quantity.   You have a new follower request on Twitter: Men of Sapphir

I would guess most players aren't that involved. They likely give their agent a list of priorities and the agent tries to get the best contract possible.   The agent relays the info to the player an

I'm bringing my Twitter into the real life world.   First day of class today, I sit near the front since I'm a nerd, while we're waiting to begin, prof asks my name, I say Zach... "last name?" Hende

And don't act like a majority of the ppl are like you and would rather live in a 500 square foot condo then a house. If a random alien came from outer space and you asked the alien if he would rather live in a 500 square ft condo or a big house, 99/100 aliens would pick the house. The other alien is related to you.

And people like "things". The younger generation isn't like you and hates "things".

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I'm not smart enough to post the link directly, but I laughed out loud for the first time in a while today.

Steve Simmons: The Kansas City Royals made no trades at the non waiver deadline. The Oakland A's made two huge trades. Does @JoeyBats19 know about this:

Jose Bautista: @simmonssteve - who are you and why are you talking about me?

Because F you Steve Simmons. F you in your stupid, dogmatic, irrelevant face.

I'm not smart enough to post the link directly, but I laughed out loud for the first time in a while today.

Steve Simmons: The Kansas City Royals made no trades at the non waiver deadline. The Oakland A's made two huge trades. Does @JoeyBats19 know about this:

Jose Bautista: @simmonssteve - who are you and why are you talking about me?

Because F you Steve Simmons. F you in your stupid, dogmatic, irrelevant face.

this just got interesting.

Strombone ‏@strombone1 33m33 minutes ago

What's the over under on air biscuits @PKSubban1 drops in Bernier's crease tonight? I'll set the bar at 3. Happy hockey season everyone!!!

Adam Proteau ‏@Proteautype 20h20 hours ago

Brad Marchand doesn't like the NHL's new diving policy. He can change it when the league hires him as its v-p of diving after he retires.

• 2 weeks later...

I blame Zach for this promoted Tweet being in my timeline. Other than the Toronto Star he's the only tree hugger I knowingly follow

Chris Hamilton ‏@ChrisRHamilton

Follow me for information on how biking makes our cities happy, healthful and more prosperous places.

I blame Zach for this promoted Tweet being in my timeline. Other than the Toronto Star he's the only tree hugger I knowingly follow

Chris Hamilton ‏@ChrisRHamilton

Follow me for information on how biking makes our cities happy, healthful and more prosperous places.

These are the jackasses that make legitimate people look bad..Take his "war on cars" and shove it up his ass.

I don't think I even follow that guy.

On principle, I basically don't follow anybody who promotes tweets into my feed.

I am following him now..He will be sorry I found him

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If you are ever feeling bored, unhappy and need a break I highly recommend Zach's twitter feed...The hilarity and hypocrisy will put a smile to your face.

You do realize it is very insulting to call someone a hypocrite, right?

Umm sure ...Its not more that he is the hypocrite, its the stuff that is tweeted and retweeted..