• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes, its not about how many people follow you, but who wants to follow you. Its about the quality, not just the quantity.   You have a new follower request on Twitter: Men of Sapphir

I would guess most players aren't that involved. They likely give their agent a list of priorities and the agent tries to get the best contract possible.   The agent relays the info to the player an

I'm bringing my Twitter into the real life world.   First day of class today, I sit near the front since I'm a nerd, while we're waiting to begin, prof asks my name, I say Zach... "last name?" Hende

I think that one thing that I RTed recently about people in Toronto being willing to trade their yards, density, etc for a more walkable neighbourhood is pretty telling though, and not a very leading question.

I honestly didn't see this, but I would be curious. I'll try to find in your timeline.

The devils advocate in me would have lots of questions about who was asked, where they live and what they are actually giving up or think they are giving up.

I honestly didn't see this, but I would be curious. I'll try to find in your timeline.

The devils advocate in me would have lots of questions about who was asked, where they live and what they are actually giving up or think they are giving up.

it's very healthy to take all polls with massive grains of salt since it's so easy to manipulate them

I think that one thing that I RTed recently about people in Toronto being willing to trade their yards, density, etc for a more walkable neighbourhood is pretty telling though, and not a very leading question.

Again it really isn't surprising that if it costs the same that people would prefer to live in a place where great transit is on their door step and they could walk to a lot of places they want to get to. Your characterization of the results are just a wee bit skewed.

Everything is a trade off.

http://www.pembina.org/pub/2358

If home price wasn't an issue, would you prefer to live in a more location-efficient neighbourhood? These and other questions form the basis of this study designed to examine preferences for home location attributes in the Greater Toronto Area.

Our results find that while a detached home remains important for many homebuyers, preference is higher overall for other attributes regarding where to live, not just what to live in. A large house and spacious lot are not as important as living in a "location-efficient" neighbourhood — one that gives residents the ability to walk or take rapid transit. The results of the survey show that there may be demand for "in-between" housing that's more compact but family-friendly and close to where people go every day.

From the study which I don't disagree with. I personally live where I do because of factors like transit and walkability but also because I'm close to the highways as well.

Executive Summary

The objective of this study is to examine preferences for home location attributes in the Greater Toronto

Area (GTA). The study asked adult residents in the GTA a series of questions regarding their preferences for

location-associated attributes – such as proximity to rapid transit, walkability, commute times, house and

yard size, and privacy. Questions also explored how relative home prices influence these preferences.

The results find that while a detached home remains important for many homebuyers, preference is higher

overall for other attributes regarding where to live, not just what to live in. A large house and spacious lot are

not as important as living in a “location-efficient” neighbourhood – one that gives residents the ability to

walk or take rapid transit to most destinations, with shorter commute times to work. In fact, GTA homebuyers

would choose a modest-sized home to enjoy these location-efficient attributes.

However, affordability plays an interesting role in location choices. If home price were not an issue,

homebuyers would overwhelmingly prefer to live in location-efficient neighbourhoods, but the majority of

respondents stated that affordability influenced where they bought their home. The discrepancy between

where respondents currently live and where they would prefer to live suggests that what may be driving

some homebuyers to car-dependent neighbourhoods is cost rather than preference.

The results of the survey may point to a desire for affordable location-efficient home options, particularly in

urban and suburban centres, meaning there may be demand for the “in-between” housing – more compact

but family-friendly homes that are close to where people go every day.

Key findings

1. Residents in the GTA prefer to live in a mixed-use, walkable neighbourhood, in the city

or suburbs, with a shorter commute and access to frequent rapid transit

 Taking housing costs out of the picture, 81 percent of respondents would choose a house on a modest

lot, a townhouse or a condo in a city or suburb that is walkable to stores, restaurants and other

amenities and has good access to frequent rapid transit.

2. A majority of GTA residents identify location-efficient attributes such as walkability and shorter

commutes as the most important considerations in choosing where to live

 When asked about the most important attribute for choosing where to live, respondents’ top five

rankings were:

1. Living in a detached single-family home (14.7 percent)

2. Easy walking distance to shops, restaurants and other services (13.3 percent)

3. A commute to work that is less than 30 minutes one way (13.3 percent)

4. Easy access to frequent rapid transit (such as subway, GO Train or streetcar) (11 percent)

5. Privacy from neighbours (10.7 percent)

RBC-Pembina Home Location Study Page 2

3. Older residents would prefer to live in a location-efficient neighbourhood despite the higher

price of homes

 If home prices were equal for these three choices – city, location-efficient suburb or large home in

car-dependent suburb – 52 percent of residents aged 60+ would choose to live in the city in a condo,

townhouse or modest-sized house on a smaller lot with easy access to stores and amenities.

 By comparison, 39 percent of the population under 60 expressed the same preference.

 When housing prices are included, 70 percent of those aged 60+ would prefer to live in a locationefficient

neighbourhood (either city or suburb) despite the higher home cost, versus only 50 percent

of all other respondents.

4. Most homebuyers choose location based on housing prices

 79 percent chose to live where they do based on the cost of the home.

 54 percent of residents would still choose walkability, short commutes and access to rapid transit

even if it cost more to own or rent and they had to trade off size for convenience.

 44 percent prefer a more spacious home and yard for a lower home price despite having to drive to

most destinations.

Again it really isn't surprising that if it costs the same that people would prefer to live in a place where great transit is on their door step and they could walk to a lot of places they want to get to. Your characterization of the results are just a wee bit skewed.

Everything is a trade off.

http://www.pembina.org/pub/2358

Yeah, everything is a trade off. We've basically only built one form of housing since 1950, changing now since the condo boom. The trade off is only viable if you give people a choice. That's my whole platform, for lack of a better word.

I think this is one of the pics that I RTed that you guys were talking about:

Bg-E3f5CEAAD7kg.png

It makes sense. It's intuitive that that's what we would probably all like.

The issue is that it is NOT how we have been designing our streets or neighbourhoods over the last 50+ years. That's all. We're at the tipping point, probably past it, where it'll all start to change.

Babcock: "Does anybody know who won the scoring race? Does anybody care? Does anybody know who won the gold medal?See ya guys." Exit left.

10:51am - 23 Feb 14

Jonathan Toews Resume

2008 Named Captain

2010 Gold Medal

2010 Stanley Cup

2010 Conn Smythe

2013 Selke

2013 Stanley Cup

2014 Gold Medal

Imagine what he'll accomplish once he starts shaving

• Like 1

Val Kilmer@ValEKilmer 1m

People still keep sending out stories I'm overweight. I've weighed 171 lbs. for quite a while now. Let's move along now shall we friends...

Leonard Peltier@LeonardPeltier 1m

@ValEKilmer At least the do not accuse you of murder man.

• 3 weeks later...

@Ian_Mendes: Sensenfreude -- Ottawa fans taking pleasure in the misfortune of the Leafs, despite the fact their own team will miss the playoffs.

misery loves company

@LennoxLewis are you a leafs fan like @riddickbowe

@cgarning I'm a leafs fan... But please don't compare me to that other guy.

I guess there really is hate between the 2. I completely forgot that Bowe threw the belt in the trash can because he did not want to face Lewis especially when Lewis beat Bowe for gold.

@LennoxLewis are you a leafs fan like @riddickbowe

@cgarning I'm a leafs fan... But please don't compare me to that other guy.

I guess there really is hate between the 2. I completely forgot that Bowe threw the belt in the trash can because he did not want to face Lewis especially when Lewis beat Bowe for gold.

now if we can just get Mike Tyson on board..

• 2 weeks later...

I said before that weird poker people sometimes follow me still.

Well now Phil Ivey follows me. So that's weird.

You and 57,000 other people he follows. He just got around to our circle I guess since he also just followed me and Biatch tonight.