I just mean that if Bob McKenzie go a press release from a player's agent, he wouldn't call it a "source". If a GM calls him and says that Kadri's camp is asking for $6M/year, and Bob believes that he is saying that so he can win the media/PR war, than he isn't being a reporter by letting the GM voice this information anonymously, he is a PR agent for that GM.

Ok, but if every reporter said "I think this guy has something to gain by this information being public, so I wont report it without naming my sources"......next to nothing would be made public.

So what if there is something to be gained in a PR war? As long as the truth is being reported, its up to the public to have the brains to figure out the rest.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes, its not about how many people follow you, but who wants to follow you. Its about the quality, not just the quantity.   You have a new follower request on Twitter: Men of Sapphir

I would guess most players aren't that involved. They likely give their agent a list of priorities and the agent tries to get the best contract possible.   The agent relays the info to the player an

I'm bringing my Twitter into the real life world.   First day of class today, I sit near the front since I'm a nerd, while we're waiting to begin, prof asks my name, I say Zach... "last name?" Hende

Ok, but if every reporter said "I think this guy has something to gain by this information being public, so I wont report it without naming my sources"......next to nothing would be made public.

So what if there is something to be gained in a PR war? As long as the truth is being reported, its up to the public to have the brains to figure out the rest.

I think there's a fine line between "something to gain" and "something being shared explicitly for media benefit." Also, if a reporter is going to share what a GM or something says anonymously, they need to do the same for an agent, if they want to. How often do you hear "leaks" that imply the ask is too high, as compared to ones where the team is low-balling? Seems like most reporters view the team employees as real sources, and agents/PR/players as people with selfish agendas only, even though they're all just people with selfish agendas!

If a GM wants to negotiate in public, he should have to put is name to that. Bob McKenzie (and every other reporter) shouldn't help that by reporting one person's description of the negotiations as a "source." In the Kadri case, unless Kadri's agent is telling Bob something different than Kadri himself (possible), than Bob is taking a single source with a selfish perspective and reporting it without qualification.

It's easy to make the argument that McKenzie has become a mouth piece for the organization but it's easier for that to happen then for the player most of the time. Usually if a player comes in at a good or great contract number it's signed and sealed before we have any squabbling between the two sides and before it hits the public.

In the end it's a winning proposition for McKenzie and the Leafs organization. McKenzie reports the news, whether you believe he's a mouthpiece or not, he gained information and reported it. The Leafs got their public opinion in their favor just in case Kadri doesn't report for training camp.

When the lockout happened last year, how do you think the numbers leaked out so quickly from the first meeting that the NHL Owners were trying to take so much away from the NHLPA? Same thing happened. Fehr leaked the information to Renaud Lavoie and boom, immediately people were against the NHL Owners, for the PA and we were in for a long lockout. Lets see if this happens here.

How often do you hear "leaks" that imply the ask is too high, as compared to ones where the team is low-balling? Seems like most reporters view the team employees as real sources, and agents/PR/players as people with selfish agendas only, even though they're all just people with selfish agendas!

I'm not sure why you seem to be making this about management doing something wrong, and the players being the ones being victims.

I think you hear about the low ball offers all the time. Just as often as the high asks.

Seems like most reporters view the team employees as real sources, and agents/PR/players as people with selfish agendas only, even though they're all just people with selfish agendas!

How do you know this? Sounds like your own opinion, and nothing based on facts. I have no idea how reporters view these people, as I dont know any and I dont work with any at their jobs. I can respect your opinion, but I think your just taking a wild guess based on your own preconceptions.

Your a union guy, aren't you? :)

I'm not sure why you seem to be making this about management doing something wrong, and the players being the ones being victims.

I think you hear about the low ball offers all the time. Just as often as the high asks.

How do you know this? Sounds like your own opinion, and nothing based on facts. I have no idea how reporters view these people, as I dont know any and I dont work with any at their jobs. I can respect your opinion, but I think your just taking a wild guess based on your own preconceptions.

Your a union guy, aren't you? :)

Heh, I agree with unions in general, but the way they're utilized has become so problematic that I think they do more harm than good in most instances. Also, the power of employees relative to employers outside of union situations has grown by so much in the last 50 years that unions are mostly irrelevant.

In my experience, we hear a lot more information from "sources" in situations that benefit management and not players.

It's easy to make the argument that McKenzie has become a mouth piece for the organization but it's easier for that to happen then for the player most of the time. Usually if a player comes in at a good or great contract number it's signed and sealed before we have any squabbling between the two sides and before it hits the public.

In the end it's a winning proposition for McKenzie and the Leafs organization. McKenzie reports the news, whether you believe he's a mouthpiece or not, he gained information and reported it. The Leafs got their public opinion in their favor just in case Kadri doesn't report for training camp.

When the lockout happened last year, how do you think the numbers leaked out so quickly from the first meeting that the NHL Owners were trying to take so much away from the NHLPA? Same thing happened. Fehr leaked the information to Renaud Lavoie and boom, immediately people were against the NHL Owners, for the PA and we were in for a long lockout. Lets see if this happens here.

I agree with all of this. Fehr and the NHLPA were just as leaky (maybe more so) than anyone else.

@91Butch: Barch and Gallant already found way to beat NHL helmet fighting rule.They just take each others helmet off, ptretty funny..

Lol

I'm picturing them in helmets like Butch Goring too.

• 3 weeks later...

One on end of the scale Cox knows his question is really stupid and he's trolling and on the other end of the scale he's actually serious and is asking a question this stupid.

Which end of the scale do you think he's on ?

Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin 8h

Doubt it was offered. But would LA have taken Yakupov for Bernier?

One on end of the scale Cox knows his question is really stupid and he's trolling and on the other end of the scale he's actually serious and is asking a question this stupid.

Which end of the scale do you think he's on ?

Damien Cox ‏@DamoSpin 8h

Doubt it was offered. But would LA have taken Yakupov for Bernier?

I'm confused. Is he saying Yakupov is that bad because he was just scratched?

The answer should be yes obviously.

• 2 weeks later...

@HockeyScanner: At a face off, Alfredsson asked MacArthur how he was. "I've been better. They gave me your stall in Ottawa and I haven't scored a goal yet".

Awesome! I wish this stuff went viral as fast as the bullshit.

@HockeyScanner: At a face off, Alfredsson asked MacArthur how he was. "I've been better. They gave me your stall in Ottawa and I haven't scored a goal yet".

is this real because if it is this is awesome

Adam Proteau ‏@Proteautype 3h

Remember, turn your clock back an hour tonight. If you're the Philadelphia Flyers, just leave your clock set to 1973 where it's always been.

James Mirtle@mirtle 8h

How about @CraigyFerg last night: "Police knew the mayor was smoking crack [when] he predicted that the Leafs would win the Stanley Cup."

James Mirtle@mirtle 8h

And this was @CraigyFerg's map of Canada, which includes an area called "Hockey Fights."

BYXG_x7CAAAR4M2.png

James Mirtle@mirtle 7h

I hereby name that Sabres-on-Thornton manoeuvre the The Rolston Centipede.

BYXXlgACYAAoV4R.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

@fearthefin: Remember that time Boston traded its highly-drafted center after one bad postseason and he tore it up with his new team? No, the other time.

that is very clever+funny, but sometimes its not about the points. I don't think they win a Cup with Joe T. And I'm not sure yet that Tyler is much of a leader either.

If its about Cups, Boston 1, Joe+Tyler-0.