I think that's awesome as long as they do the job. I think parliament could use a little febreezing.
How do I put this: the Conservatives are going to run circles around these "newbs". To bad the rollover wasn't more uniform across all parties -- and the fact that we've become a party-system isn't permanent.
  • Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes, its not about how many people follow you, but who wants to follow you. Its about the quality, not just the quantity.   You have a new follower request on Twitter: Men of Sapphir

I would guess most players aren't that involved. They likely give their agent a list of priorities and the agent tries to get the best contract possible.   The agent relays the info to the player an

I'm bringing my Twitter into the real life world.   First day of class today, I sit near the front since I'm a nerd, while we're waiting to begin, prof asks my name, I say Zach... "last name?" Hende

How do I put this: the Conservatives are going to run circles around these "newbs". To bad the rollover wasn't more uniform across all parties -- and the fact that we've become a party-system isn't permanent.
This isn't basketball. It's politics. And the Conservatives have a majority so it's not like it really matters if the NDP seats in Quebec are held by Tommy Douglas clones.
This isn't basketball. It's politics. And the Conservatives have a majority so it's not like it really matters if the NDP seats in Quebec are held by Tommy Douglas clones.
I still think Duane's point is fair. There is lots of room for maneuvering. Hell, the liberals forced a whole election based on some vague maneuvering. Like you say, it won't make much/any difference, since there's a strong majority, but it would be nice if there was at least an opposition party of actual politicians. I just hope Leyton takes these people under his mustache and in 4 years they run again.And yeah, the fact that they're making $150k/year is ridiculous.
And yeah, the fact that they're making $150k/year is ridiculous.
$150k/year isn't ridiculous when you consider that's the salary of a middle-manager in private industry.
$150k/year isn't ridiculous when you consider that's the salary of a middle-manager in private industry.
And free french lessons too. :club:
Committees, Question Period, etc... there's more than just yay/nay votes.
In my experience, that's more like the salary of a top-level manager or a junior executive. Not really relevant, since I'm sure we agree there aren't many 23-year old Russian lit majors or 19-year old poly-sci sophomores that are in anything resembling those positions :club:
Committees, Question Period, etc... there's more than just yay/nay votes.
I'm sure they're not morons.
I'm sure they're not morons.
Not morons, but likely not well suited to be a strong precense in a difficult committee setting with more senior members. They have essentially no qualifications, whether they be education or work experience.

Goddard fired from Sportsnet:http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=ArQe...roadcasterfiredThis has wrongful dismissal written all over it. Though I strongly disagree with what he (and Reynolds) said, I can't believe someone could get fired for that. Hell, I'm mostly amazed this many people feel this way, and seem to feel like it is a reasonable thing to say publicly!

Goddard fired from Sportsnet:http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=ArQe...roadcasterfiredThis has wrongful dismissal written all over it. Though I strongly disagree with what he (and Reynolds) said, I can't believe someone could get fired for that. Hell, I'm mostly amazed this many people feel this way, and seem to feel like it is a reasonable thing to say publicly!
I agree with all of this.

I have to imagine the employment contracts for news broadcasters are written to strongly favour the company in situations like this.

I have to imagine the employment contracts for news broadcasters are written to strongly favour the company in situations like this.
Sportsnet is claiming he wasn't fired because of this issue. LOL

I know Damien, and he's a hell of a nice guy.... and, while it may not have been the SMARTEST thing to tweet or say, he didn't say he was AGAINST gays, he said that his religious beliefs dont support gay marriage. And that seems to me to be a statement of fact, more than a bigoted comment...

I know Damien, and he's a hell of a nice guy.... and, while it may not have been the SMARTEST thing to tweet or say, he didn't say he was AGAINST gays, he said that his religious beliefs dont support gay marriage. And that seems to me to be a statement of fact, more than a bigoted comment...
Ya i was shocked at this..His comments were totally NOT bigoted..Its a religious belief that is shared by millions. I think TSN should pick up this guy right away.
Ya i was shocked at this..His comments were totally NOT bigoted..Its a religious belief that is shared by millions. I think TSN should pick up this guy right away.
Of course his comments are bigoted. Religions that think they have the right to define what is and isn't a marriage are bigoted.He claims that the only "True Marriage" is the one that he approves of. There was a time not that long ago that a lot of people wouldn't have supported my marriage because me and my wife come from differnet ethnic backgrounds. This is no different to a large number of people.I don't want to get into the whole Gay Marriage issue but to me a Church has the right to marry who they want or don't want to in their own Church and they have the right to keep Gay people out of their Church if that's what they want. They do not have the right to foist their view on what marriage is on the rest of society though.
Of course his comments are bigoted. Religions that think they have the right to define what is and isn't a marriage are bigoted.He claims that the only "True Marriage" is the one that he approves of. There was a time not that long ago that a lot of people wouldn't have supported my marriage because me and my wife come from differnet ethnic backgrounds. This is no different to a large number of people.I don't want to get into the whole Gay Marriage issue but to me a Church has the right to marry who they want or don't want to in their own Church and they have the right to keep Gay people out of their Church if that's what they want. They do not have the right to foist their view on what marriage is on the rest of society though.
Isn't foisting the #1 function of the church?
His religion, as millions of others , believe that a true marriage is between a man and woman..Its what a lot of people believe..He isnt discriminating against gays..He just stated what his beliefs are..I have friends from all religions..Christian, Jewish , Muslim etc..We dont believe in the same thing, but we respect each others views..
His religion, as millions of others , believe that a true marriage is between a man and woman..Its what a lot of people believe..He isnt discriminating against gays..He just stated what his beliefs are..I have friends from all religions..Christian, Jewish , Muslim etc..We dont believe in the same thing, but we respect each others views..
He went beyond just saying what his faith is and supported a Tweet that was against Gay Marriage.See I have no problem with the Catholic Church saying that to be a good Catholic you can't marry somebody of the same sex or to say that you believe that in the eyes of God the only marriage is between a Man and a Woman. What Churches can't do and what Goddard did is say that what Daniel's Asst Patty has with her Wife isn't a marriage and to try to deny them the basic right to marry somebody that they choose.Churches don't have the right to deny marriage to anybody outside of their faith.The closest parallel is the fact that a lot of Churches wouldn't have supported a marriage between people of different races not that long ago. Discrimination is discrimination and just because people say it's a religious belief doesn't make it right.Plus Goddard is a moron for making a Tweet like that unless he was looking to get fired.
Discrimination means treating people differently, negatively or adversely because of their race, age, religion, sex, etc.,It's a fine line. While he may not be directly discriminating against anyone, he is supporting his church's discrimination against homosexuals. If his religion held views that were antisemitic and he repeated them would you and others still feel the same?I fully support the right to free speech, but one must be careful when speaking as a representative of the company one works for.
I fully support the right to free speech, but one must be careful when speaking as a representative of the company one works for.
this is what it really comes down to. Like it or not, in a public forum, he speaks as a representative of his company, not of his church.+1 to foist, by the way.
this is what it really comes down to. Like it or not, in a public forum, he speaks as a representative of his company, not of his church.+1 to foist, by the way.
True enough, except where do you draw the line between a statement of fact, and opinion?#1: 'The muslim religion does not support gay marriage.'#2: 'I'm a muslim, and both my religion and myself do not support gay marriage'. Tough spot..