• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Sometimes, its not about how many people follow you, but who wants to follow you. Its about the quality, not just the quantity.   You have a new follower request on Twitter: Men of Sapphir

I would guess most players aren't that involved. They likely give their agent a list of priorities and the agent tries to get the best contract possible.   The agent relays the info to the player an

I'm bringing my Twitter into the real life world.   First day of class today, I sit near the front since I'm a nerd, while we're waiting to begin, prof asks my name, I say Zach... "last name?" Hende

Man love from DD?DarrenDreger: Cammalleri is a quote factory. Says he almost feels bad for the guys who play their entire careers without ever being a Canadien. Pure gold!

Calamari is a ****ing douchebag..he is on the radio gloating that he is turning long time Leaf fans in Toronto into Habs fans...news flash idiot:Real Leaf fans will never cheer for the Habs, no matter how much you think you are changing them.

I'm not sure how Fleury solves that problem. RT @DarrenDreger Canada needs another goalie. Expect Fleury to be invited.

• 1 month later...
byeskey @Sportspickle time to start promoting La Décision starring Sidney Crosby on July 1st, 2013 on TSN sportspickle Whaaaaa? Is this a joke? Florida Panthers trying to sell tickets off of Lebron: http://panthers.nhl.com/
“Based on the hype surrounding rumors of a new King headed to South Florida, we wanted to remind our fans that we want them to feel like royalty,” said Panthers president & COO Michael Yormark. “Certainly, it’s an exciting time to be part of the South Florida sports industry and we’d like our fans and our staff to embrace it.”
byeskey @Sportspickle time to start promoting La Décision starring Sidney Crosby on July 1st, 2013 on TSN sportspickle Whaaaaa? Is this a joke? Florida Panthers trying to sell tickets off of Lebron: http://panthers.nhl.com/
lol, those are both good.As someone who has spent some time in Miami, mostly on vacation, I cant think of a less deserving basketball town. They generally dont care about their ball, except for when they are winning championships or have the big stars. Its not much of a sports town, and Im pretty dissapointed they got all 3 of these guys.I know its a hockey forum, but here's my 2 cents:1. The one thought I keep having thats pissing me off that no one in the media is asking. If winning is all that mattered to Lebron, and Cleveland was his first choice.....why couldnt he convince Wade+Bosh to come to HIM? (I probably know the answer, just wondering why he isnt being called out on it)2. Best thing I heard: Michael never left, and joined the Pistons.I have said this lots of times about Ray Bourque, and I know many of you disagree, but this is another example of someone taking the easier route to a championship IMO. (IF they get there)
lol, those are both good.As someone who has spent some time in Miami, mostly on vacation, I cant think of a less deserving basketball town. They generally dont care about their ball, except for when they are winning championships or have the big stars. Its not much of a sports town, and Im pretty dissapointed they got all 3 of these guys.I know its a hockey forum, but here's my 2 cents:1. The one thought I keep having thats pissing me off that no one in the media is asking. If winning is all that mattered to Lebron, and Cleveland was his first choice.....why couldnt he convince Wade+Bosh to come to HIM? (I probably know the answer, just wondering why he isnt being called out on it)2. Best thing I heard: Michael never left, and joined the Pistons.I have said this lots of times about Ray Bourque, and I know many of you disagree, but this is another example of someone taking the easier route to a championship IMO. (IF they get there)
Winning there isnt going to be as easy as they thought..You still need a team..They have no money for other good players to come...I hope they lose every game.
Winning there isnt going to be as easy as they thought..You still need a team..They have no money for other good players to come...I hope they lose every game.
Do you think they might sell a jersey or two with these guys in town? I asked a sports marketing guy and he figures the ancillary income from this signing would be in excess of 100 million dollars. With that income, the Heat can pretend the salary cap doesnt even exist, and spend 30 million over the cap, pay the 30 million penalty, and still be 40 million to the good BEFORE they win a championship
Do you think they might sell a jersey or two with these guys in town? I asked a sports marketing guy and he figures the ancillary income from this signing would be in excess of 100 million dollars. With that income, the Heat can pretend the salary cap doesnt even exist, and spend 30 million over the cap, pay the 30 million penalty, and still be 40 million to the good BEFORE they win a championship
Even more reason to hate them..This has renewed by interest in the NBA, solely for the fact to cheer against the three headed monsters...Bosh isnt even that good...The pending labour dispute can change a lot of the existing rules..Hopefully it will hurt them even more..I am suddenly becoming a Cavaliers fan and hope they win a championship before Lebron like their owner promised yesterday.

To figure out the NBA salary cap rules is too confusing...It might be because we know the NHL situation inside out, but cap holds, trade exceptions, luxury tax hits...Too complicated for me..

I mostly agree with the above. Being a Heat fan is kind of like being a Globetrotters fan now. There's a reason people still talk about George Brett and Robin Yount and other guys as heroes. They did what Lebron desperately wants to do, which is transcend just being an athlete. I guess Lebron is doing that, but as a marketing tool, not as a hero or icon.I feel bad for Bosh. He's basically a big kid. He had choices, and he'll make 9 figures, so I don't have a ton of sympathy, but I don't think he is nearly the manipulative egotist Wade or Lebron are in this drama.p.s. I hate the word "transcend."

1. The one thought I keep having thats pissing me off that no one in the media is asking. If winning is all that mattered to Lebron, and Cleveland was his first choice.....why couldnt he convince Wade+Bosh to come to HIM? (I probably know the answer, just wondering why he isnt being called out on it)
Apparently Cleveland already has tons of overpriced players (paid a premium to get a bunch of players in -- to Cleveland -- to play with Lebron).
I mostly agree with the above. Being a Heat fan is kind of like being a Globetrotters fan now. There's a reason people still talk about George Brett and Robin Yount and other guys as heroes. They did what Lebron desperately wants to do, which is transcend just being an athlete. I guess Lebron is doing that, but as a marketing tool, not as a hero or icon.I feel bad for Bosh. He's basically a big kid. He had choices, and he'll make 9 figures, so I don't have a ton of sympathy, but I don't think he is nearly the manipulative egotist Wade or Lebron are in this drama.p.s. I hate the word "transcend."
I first had some reactionary hate for Bosh, but i am turning around on him..He is the biggest beneficiary in all this..He isnt a max player, he isnt Lebron or Wade..Just a very good player that got lucky at the perfect time to cash out and play in the spotlight..He has been opportunistic and cant blame him for that.Lebron on the other hand is a douche...It has nothing to do "biness" and winning championships. If he really wanted to do that he could of sat down with the owners and GM and could of made it happen in Cleveland.Everyone knows he is a fame whore and loves the celebrity scene..What better place than South Beach...
Apparently Cleveland already has tons of overpriced players (paid a premium to get a bunch of players in -- to Cleveland -- to play with Lebron).
Yeah, I'm pretty sure that wouldn't have worked. The Heat only have 1-2 other players signed, and the guys had to take less than max salaries to all play there. Without making a ton of trades, there are few, if any, other teams in the league that could've taken all 3.
1. The one thought I keep having thats pissing me off that no one in the media is asking. If winning is all that mattered to Lebron, and Cleveland was his first choice.....why couldnt he convince Wade+Bosh to come to HIM? (I probably know the answer, just wondering why he isnt being called out on it)
I think the answer to this one is pretty obvious: if you're making a brazillion dollars a year, then money stops being everything. When that happens, the other factors kick in: how good is the team, how good is the town, how bad is the travel, etc. In this situation, they are going to make ANY team good by getting together. The travel from Miami isnt bad. That leaves the town. NBA players two favourite cities to hang and party in are very well known: Las Vegas and Miami. There aint no team in Las Vegas. Cleveland? not so much...

I liked the local radio guy's take on this...(since I could care less about the NBA and even less about this Lebron guy.)If he chooses Cleveland he is a scaredy cat but at least he is loyalIf he chooses NY then it's all about ego, putting himself on the biggest stage, playing at MSG but you have to respect it because the Nicks are crap so he will have a lot of work to do to get it back up to the top.If he chooses Chicago then he is doing what he needs to do. He adds the final piece to a contender and is the man running the show.If he goes it Miami he is a not who he claims to be. He will not be the number 1 guy. He will not run the team, he will not be the one taking the final shot each night, he will no longer be King James, he will be Queen James.From the little knowledge I have on this whole stupid ordeal, I like what the guy said about it. But at the end of the day, I don't like the NBA so I am fine with his decision.I have read and heard some say that this could kill the league. Especially if the rumors are true about them getting some other huge superstar in FA in 2012. Thoughts?

I liked the local radio guy's take on this...(since I could care less about the NBA and even less about this Lebron guy.)If he chooses Cleveland he is a scaredy cat but at least he is loyalIf he chooses NY then it's all about ego, putting himself on the biggest stage, playing at MSG but you have to respect it because the Nicks are crap so he will have a lot of work to do to get it back up to the top.If he chooses Chicago then he is doing what he needs to do. He adds the final piece to a contender and is the man running the show.If he goes it Miami he is a not who he claims to be. He will not be the number 1 guy. He will not run the team, he will not be the one taking the final shot each night, he will no longer be King James, he will be Queen James.From the little knowledge I have on this whole stupid ordeal, I like what the guy said about it. But at the end of the day, I don't like the NBA so I am fine with his decision.I have read and heard some say that this could kill the league. Especially if the rumors are true about them getting some other huge superstar in FA in 2012. Thoughts?
it would kill the league if they won like 75 games and cakewalked through the playoffs and won 5 championships in a row..This is what Lebron and Miami thinks is a possibility..Reality this wont happen..They will be a good team , among a lot of other good teams..They wont have the flexibility of other teams, if things sour and things go south..Bosh and Wade have injury problems..What happens if one or both go down at the same time....??People are all happy at the wedding..But 50% of marriages end in divorce...It applies to this situation..
I think the answer to this one is pretty obvious: if you're making a brazillion dollars a year, then money stops being everything. When that happens, the other factors kick in: how good is the team, how good is the town, how bad is the travel, etc. In this situation, they are going to make ANY team good by getting together. The travel from Miami isnt bad. That leaves the town. NBA players two favourite cities to hang and party in are very well known: Las Vegas and Miami. There aint no team in Las Vegas. Cleveland? not so much...
agree. but thats what Id like to see someone mention, that he didnt pick Miami as the best chance to win, it was the best city to play with his friends. He just either didnt want to, or could not, convince them to come and play at his house, so he went to theirs. King my ass.is there a way for me to wear an NBA jersey that represents everyone in the league BUT Miami?