Nj Gov. Chris Christie Speech To Mayors

Thumbs up to this: Republican Gov. Chris Christie made clear on Monday what he thinks of the political fight over an Islamic community center and mosque set to be established a few blocks from New York's Ground Zero."What offends me the most about all this is that it's being used by a political football by both parties," Christie told reporters. "[it] just further drives people apart, and creates divisions, and I think that's bad for our country.""We have to acknowledge, respect and give some measure of deference to the feelings of the family members who lost there loved ones there that day," the New Jersey governor said. "But it would be wrong to so overreact to that, that we paint Islam with a brush of radical Muslim extremists that just want to kill Americans because we are Americans. But beyond that...I am not going to get into it, because I would be guilty of candidly what I think some Republicans are guilty of, and the President is now the president is guilty of, of playing politics with this issue, and I simply am not going to do it."I have to agree that Obama should have never got involved.....though I don't know if he was playing politics or just adding his two cents. The general idea above though is great and his willingness to criticize both parties is admirable.

• Replies 240
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cane - he is the full transcript - this guy gets it

Given my last position, that I was the first U.S attorney post 9/11 in New Jersey. I understand acutely the pain and sorrow and upset of the family members who lost loved ones that day. At the hands of radical Muslim extremist. And their sensitivities and concerns have to be taken into account. Just because it’s nearly nine years later, those sensitivities cannot and should not be ignored. On the other hand, we cannot paint all of Islam with that brush…We have to bring people together. And what offends me the most about all this, is that it’s being used as a political football by both parties. And what disturbs me about the president remarks is that he is now using it as a political football as well. I think the president of the United State should rise above that. And should not be using this as a political football, and I don’t believe that it would be responsible of me to get involved and comment on this any further because it just put me in the same political arena as all of them.“My principles on this are two-fold. One, that we have to acknowledge, respect and give some measure of deference to the feelings of the family members who lost there loved ones there that day. But it would be wrong to so overreact to that, that we paint Islam with a brush of radical Muslim extremists that just want to kill Americans because we are Americans. But beyond that…I am not going to get into it, because I would be guilty of candidly what I think some Republicans are guilty of, and the president is now the president is guilty of, of playing politics with this issue, and I simply am not going to do it.”Asked if he’d call upon both parties to stop, he said, “Well, that again will be playing politics with the issue. I said what I feel about it, and I don’t believe it is up to me to pontificate on other people about what they should do. I just observe what I observe. And I don’t believe that this issue should be a political football. I just don’t. And I think that both sides of this issue now are using this as a political football. And I don’t think it brings people together in America, I think it just further drives people apart, and creates divisions, and I think that’s bad for our country. And all people in our country suffer when those kind of things happen.”
  • 2 weeks later...
NJ needs to be done with him so he can be president.
amen to that...I dont see him running in 2012 - he will be 3 yrs or so into his term.....He "seems" like a guy that would want to finish the first job he was elected too...but you never know
amen to that...I dont see him running in 2012 - he will be 3 yrs or so into his term.....He "seems" like a guy that would want to finish the first job he was elected too...but you never know
that would be special, a fiscal conservative president from New Jersey...whats next Mass tilting to red? CA with a balanced budget and people having more rights then an animal? He is good man though.
  • 2 weeks later...
That was awesome. I really hope someone convinces this guy to run, but I don't think it will happen until 2016.
This is what I want from an Elected official. Run the Government like a business. When there isn't money, you cut. Where there is extra, you save for a rainy day. You make decisions baed on facts, not emotion or electoral reasons.Term limits would do a lot to help politicians act like this....but sadly that will never happen.I think Chris Christies tone and frankness is exactly what the voters are looking for. They are tired of spin from Both Sides
“You know, I’m very direct. I’m going to say exactly what I think.” - Chris Christie
I think Chris Christies tone and frankness is exactly what the voters are looking for. They are tired of spin from Both Sides
Good video. As I've said before, I'm against how powerful the teacher's unions have become. They're a monopoly. I'm not against unions in general, I'm against unions that become to big and powerful that they can't be dealt with or can't respond in reasonable and timely ways. We need a Teddy Roosevelt to break up those trusts.
Good video. As I've said before, I'm against how powerful the teacher's unions have become. They're a monopoly. I'm not against unions in general, I'm against unions that become to big and powerful that they can't be dealt with or can't respond in reasonable and timely ways. We need a Teddy Roosevelt to break up those trusts.
Teacher's Union2 <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<Government Employees Union.The GEU will break this countryThe TU is just giving us a resupply of democrats
so what you are really saying is you are against unions...we agree
Declaring he would not move forward on a project he could not afford, Gov. Chris Christie said today he was the one who put the brakes on the $8.7 billion trans-Hudson rail tunnel.The governor, in a press briefing, said he liked the idea of the tunnel, but not if he can’t pay for it."And if I can’t pay for it, then we’ll have to consider other options," he said, making it clear for the first time the project was in serious jeopardy...."It went from $5 billion to $8.7 billion in what was clearly a rush by the Corzine administration to have gold shovels and put them the ground and try to get (former Gov. Jon) Corzine re-elected. That obviously was less than successful," Christie said. "And I’m concerned that their evaluations of price of this project was as successful as his re-election campaign was."
Today the Democrats shot back. Budgets?
Warning that a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity may be squandered, state and federal elected officials today urged support for an $8.7 billion railway tunnel under the Hudson that could be killed over rising costs.Gathered in front of a portal to the tunnel being built in North Bergen, Democratic Senators Robert Menendez and Frank Lautenberg joined other federal and state lawmakers to sharply criticize Gov. Chris Christie's temporary suspension of the massive project."The message is pretty simple," said Lautenberg. "We don’t want to be just another parking lot for New York City and that’s what’s going to happen if we don’t get this tunnel done."..."We need to find a way to make this work," said Menendez, adding that Christie always had known the project’s cost, but suddenly raised red flags after initially supporting it.
  • 3 weeks later...
http://hotair.com/archives/2010/10/07/chri...rry-were-broke/
“I have made a pledge to the people of New Jersey that on my watch I will not allow taxpayers to fund projects that run over budget with no clear way of how these costs will be paid for,” said the governor. “Considering the unprecedented fiscal and economic climate our State is facing, it is completely unthinkable to borrow more money and leave taxpayers responsible for billions in cost overruns…Christie called a 30-day temporary halt in September on new tunnel construction, as behind-the-scenes cost projections suggested the tunnel project costs would swell more than $1 billion above the $8.7 [billion] proposed price tag. He said he didn’t want the New Jersey version of Boston’s “Big Dig” — a tunnel mega-project that saw the final tally climb to nearly ten times the original $2.8 billion estimate.At the same time, the governor was confronted with the state’s nearly bankrupt Transportation Trust Fund, which pays for road and bridge repairs and transit services. Christie had vowed not to increase the gas tax to pay for the fund, saying that drivers already had to contend with New Jersey Turnpike toll hikes and state residents already have been taxed too much, and there has been growing speculation that Christie will shift the state’s share of the tunnel project into the trust fund…Proponents said the project would have created 6,000 construction-related jobs annually and close to 45,000 permanent jobs once completed. It would have provided one-seat rides to Manhattan, gotten 22,000 cars off the roads every day and eliminated nearly 70,000 tons of greenhouse gasses gases every year, U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg (D-N.J.) said.
Chris Christie (from NJ WTF) could be our next president...and could be a damn good one!!
He's going to have to run for President because he won't get re-elected as governor of New Jersey at this rate. As someone who rode New Jersey Transit into Manhattan for 2 years, this is penny wise and pound foolish.....and really unpopular.
He's going to have to run for President because he won't get re-elected as governor of New Jersey at this rate. As someone who rode New Jersey Transit into Manhattan for 2 years, this is penny wise and pound foolish.....and really unpopular.
If NJ doesn't make sure that nothing they do inconveniences me, then I will not vote for them even if it is the best long term policy possible.I wonder why states are in financial difficulty?
If NJ doesn't make sure that nothing they do inconveniences me, then I will not vote for them even if it is the best long term policy possible.I wonder why states are in financial difficulty?
It's not the best long term policy. Hence, penny wise, pound foolish. 6,000 temporary jobs, 45,000 permanent jobs. Everyone who lived near a new train station with an express line to NYC was looking at a significant increase in the value of their home. 22,000 cars off the road a year. It was a great project. Not to mention that Northern New Jersey is heavily dependent on jobs in NYC and as I said the current public transportation options to NYC suck donkey balls.And New Jersey has already spent 600 million dollars on it that they can't get back....so they scrapped a project that MIGHT have gone overbudget...but Christie is ok with just waving goodbye to 600 million. That's one way to define fiscal responsibility.But hey Barack Obama stuck to his principles and did what he felt was best against the will of the general populace. George Bush too. Worked out great for them.
It's not the best long term policy. Hence, penny wise, pound foolish. 6,000 temporary jobs, 45,000 permanent jobs. Everyone who lived near a new train station with an express line to NYC was looking at a significant increase in the value of their home. 22,000 cars off the road a year. It was a great project. Not to mention that Northern New Jersey is heavily dependent on jobs in NYC and as I said the current public transportation options to NYC suck donkey balls.And New Jersey has already spent 600 million dollars on it that they can't get back....so they scrapped a project that MIGHT have gone overbudget...but Christie is ok with just waving goodbye to 600 million. That's one way to define fiscal responsibility.But hey Barack Obama stuck to his principles and did what he felt was best against the will of the general populace. George Bush too. Worked out great for them.
The Ritz Carlton is being re-modeled near me, well, it began re-modeling about 3 years ago. They dumped 200 million into this one hotel so far. They have 50 million to go, but their financing was through Lehman Brothers and they got shut down.So it has sat untouched for a year, with no real end to the project in site.But eventually it will be finished, when they have the access to the money.Why should NJ be any different? Because it's only 600 million... like 3 hotels, big deal.

Because this was a good project that was long overdue with tons of upside potential (thanks Jay Bilas).And even if it did go overbudget, an easy fix would have been a temporary and tiny gasoline tax hike in a state with the 3rd lowest gas prices in the country. But even that may not have been necessary. Instead, commuters are stuck with a proven disaster of a train system that does not extend into enough Northern and Central Jersey communities and 600 million for nothing.Hey, it is possible this would have ended up being a being another Big Dig style black hole. It's true. But, Christie's first two moves have been to take on one of the most powerful teachers' unions in the country and to kill a public works project that was as popular as public works projects get.....and just wave goodbye to 600 mill in the process. He is DEFINITELY principled....but it's a tough way to get re-elected which was my point.Fwiw, I think taking on the teachers' union was a great move and I support him 100% in that endeavor. I think killing this project was a terrible move and the furor over it won't go away quickly.

As a rule I am always for infrastructure, and to be honest I have never once listened to this guy or read anything he's written.I just got sidetracked by the implication that 600M was a lot of money to waste for a government agency.Tilts me that this is not even in the top 1,000 examples of wasted money, 600m.So I will retract my opposition and support your contention that this guy should finish the tunnel thing.Cause my former union heavy equipment operator brothers are probably working on this anyway.You've changed a mind Cane, you should be proud.Too bad any value there is offset by your stealing from your company by spending time arguing on an internet forum while being paid to perform a function not related to poker in anyway.

As a rule I am always for infrastructure, and to be honest I have never once listened to this guy or read anything he's written.I just got sidetracked by the implication that 600M was a lot of money to waste for a government agency.Tilts me that this is not even in the top 1,000 examples of wasted money, 600m.So I will retract my opposition and support your contention that this guy should finish the tunnel thing.Cause my former union heavy equipment operator brothers are probably working on this anyway.You've changed a mind Cane, you should be proud.Too bad any value there is offset by your stealing from your company by spending time arguing on an internet forum while being paid to perform a function not related to poker in anyway.
nothing's perfect.
you really do refuse to pull your head out of the sand. He is doing what Jersey has needed for 20 years...and if they had been responsible with spending they would have had enough money to build the damn tunnel. Only a blind lefty could blame Christy for cutting budgets on an underfunded, over budget, behind schedule project while the state is in the process of going bankrupt. you are funny and if your comrades were in the white house you would be even funnier.
you really do refuse to pull your head out of the sand. He is doing what Jersey has needed for 20 years...and if they had been responsible with spending they would have had enough money to build the damn tunnel.
When Harry Browne ran for president, he used to say the govt would break your leg then expect to be thanked when they sold you the crutch. It seems apt in this case. Somebody is finally saying "Hey, let's stop breaking your leg!"
you really do refuse to pull your head out of the sand. He is doing what Jersey has needed for 20 years...and if they had been responsible with spending they would have had enough money to build the damn tunnel. Only a blind lefty could blame Christy for cutting budgets on an underfunded, over budget, behind schedule project while the state is in the process of going bankrupt. you are funny and if your comrades were in the white house you would be even funnier.
um, as far as a close minded troll like you is concerned my "comrades" are in the white house.they have enough money for the tunnel. there are future overruns that MAY occur. This is a project that will be a boon to the economy and property values of Northern New Jersey. That's why it is so popular.You and Henry come from the dogmatic viewpoint that no govt project could possibly be any good so I won't expect either of you to understand. There's a reason literally the NEXT day after Christie announced he was killing the project that all parties decided to take another look at trying to find a little more funding for it somewhere. It's that good a project and even in NJ's bad financial position it should be built because the benefits will outweigh the costs.Only a blind, knee-jerk righty would look at a project that is wildly popular and say 'no Christie cannot possibly be questioned for killing this even though that would mean basically flushing 600 million dollars down the toilet.' That may be your idea of fiscal responsibility, but it's not mine.I eagerly await your response where my head is in sand or I'm drinking kool-aid or whatever other oh-so-original taunts you intersperse with conservative dogma and lack of knowledge about the ARC project. If you are not too busy deciding what country you are leaving America for because the tax rate may go up 4%. Good luck finding one less liberal!