How To Play Early

it seems with todays players that poker is turning more into bingo??? nobody protects thier stack, just trying to catch. i'd like to hear from winning players on which is the best way to play early in this situation:its a $340 buy-in 10,000 chips, 30 min blinds. you get dealt Ah10h in cutoff. its the first hand of the tourny and blinds are 100/100, utg+1 calls, mp calls, and i raise to 300. i get called by both (1,000 pot) im putting them on suited conn/overs/weak suited A, possible sm pair. flop comes 10d8h4s, it goes chk, chk, i bet 500 and get called by both (pot is 2,500). turn brings 2c and another chk, chk, so i bet 2,500 and utg1 calls and mp folds(pot is now 7,500). i know there are a lot of donkeys out there but the only hand i can put this guy on is J9/97 or possibly slow play a set of 4s and let me bet it for him, but i think thats not the way to play a set by giving me a free shot at a bigger set, plus i would possibly call a raise with over pair. we both have 6,700 left. river comes Qc and utg+1 leads out with 3,500 so i have to fold. i called him out on J9 and he did show it.my question is: 1) how do you play against wreckless players early 2) do i just chk the flop keeping the pot small and let them hit, play it like i did, overbet flop 3) do i shove on the turn, which would be idiotic early in my view, or is it? how do you stop people from donkin early in a tourny? it seems early that some players just dont get away from a hand that they are behind on. personally, if i was utg+1...i was folding on the turn. its too early to to chase. he had a max of 11 outs on the turn at 22% to win. i figured i took pot odds away from him to call.i HATE to lose a pot when i commit myself to one, but whats the best overall way to play (in the long run) vs players like this? i feel i played it right, but man i hate losing chips that way. i keep thinking a shove on the turn but i dont think i could EVER do that. does anyone ever use that ?

LOL so muchIn before this becomes Epic Thread #2
doesnt anyone discuss strategy on here? am i at the wrong place? what good is a forum if you cant discuss poker ?

Normally, this early, I would fold/call with ATs in your position this early in a tournament. If I raised preflop I would make it 500-600.I would bet pot on the flop and shove on the turn if I felt I was ahead.As you played it, at least you bet when you were ahead and managed to fold when you were beat.I think this example falls under super standard with a side of you should bet more.

to answer your question, you must be patient when facing a reckless opponent. You do exactly what you did. Try to think past the outcome of this particular hand. Your real goal when facing an opponent is to make him make mistakes. For him to call a pot sized bet on the turn with only an open ended straight draw for an example is a big mistake on his part. He is not getting nearly the odds he needs to make such a call. So even though he won this hand, you got him to do exactly what you wanted, and you were able to fold when you were behind. Reckless players will hang themselves eventually, you just have to keep playing smart poker.

Fine, you want me to actually discuss strategy? This is why I was laughing so much.

it seems with todays players that poker is turning more into bingo??? nobody protects thier stack, just trying to catch. i'd like to hear from winning players on which is the best way to play early in this situation:its a $340 buy-in 10,000 chips, 30 min blinds. you get dealt Ah10h in cutoff. its the first hand of the tourny and blinds are 100/100, utg+1 calls, mp calls, and i raise to 300. This is terrible. Minimum raise here should be 500, you let all kinds of junk call when you raise this small over limpers. i get called by both (1,000 pot) im putting them on suited conn/overs/weak suited A a) their range here is almost ATC, B) they can't have "overs" when there's no flop and you have an Ace, possible sm pair. flop comes 10d8h4s, it goes chk, chk, i bet 500 and get called by both (pot is 2,500). turn brings 2c and another chk, chk, so i bet 2,500 and utg1 calls and mp folds(pot is now 7,500). i know there are a lot of donkeys out there but the only hand i can put this guy on is J9/97 or possibly slow play a set of 4s and let me bet it for him, but i think thats not the way to play a set by giving me a free shot at a bigger set, plus i would possibly call a raise with over pair. we both have 6,700 left. river comes Qc and utg+1 leads out with 3,500 so i have to fold. i called him out on J9 and he did show it.my question is: 1) how do you play against wreckless players early 2) do i just chk the flop keeping the pot small and let them hit, play it like i did, overbet flop you bet 1/2 pot into two players. that's hardly an overbet. 3) do i shove on the turn, which would be idiotic early in my view, or is it? how do you stop people from donkin early in a tourny? it seems early that some players just dont get away from a hand that they are behind on. personally, if i was utg+1...i was folding on the turn. its too early to to chase. he had a max of 11 outs on the turn at 22% to win. i figured i took pot odds away from him to call.i HATE to lose a pot when i commit myself to one, but whats the best overall way to play (in the long run) vs players like this? i feel i played it right, but man i hate losing chips that way. i keep thinking a shove on the turn but i dont think i could EVER do that. does anyone ever use that ?

Raise more pre or limp behind, pot control turn, stop fooling yourself into believing you're a winning player, lose the arrogance, and develop a basic understanding of tournament poker.

Raise more pre or limp behind, pot control turn, stop fooling yourself into believing you're a winning player, lose the arrogance, and develop a basic understanding of tournament poker.
why would you raise more pre? you still are getting called? then the bets become bigger on the flop and turn, the guy still doesnt get out if he's gonna call pot sized bet on turn, being a 4:1 dog, so you are made to push the turn and BANG!! he was sloplaying set 4s. i feel that goes against small ball theory. what im getting at is the best way (most chip wins/losses over time) is to limp in and see a flop (but you dont chip up that way). i still believe if you have position you always come in for a raise (there are VERY few situations you dont)

YOU GENERALLY ADD 3X+1 BB FOR EVERY LIMPER IN THE POT. STOP BEING RESULTS ORIENTED, YOU'RE JUST JUICING THE POT 100% OF THE TIME BY RAISING SO SMALL PRE. I REALLY HOPE YOU'RE ADVOCATING JUST LIMPING ALL YOUR HANDS BECAUSE THAT'LL MAKE ME LOVE YOU EVEN MOREALSO, DO YOU REALIZE YOU'RE IN THE CUTOFF, WHAT THE **** MORE DO YOU WANT W/R/T POSITION?!!!!!!!!

YOU GENERALLY ADD 3X+1 BB FOR EVERY LIMPER IN THE POT. STOP BEING RESULTS ORIENTED, YOU'RE JUST JUICING THE POT 100% OF THE TIME BY RAISING SO SMALL PRE. I REALLY HOPE YOU'RE ADVOCATING JUST LIMPING ALL YOUR HANDS BECAUSE THAT'LL MAKE ME LOVE YOU EVEN MOREALSO, DO YOU REALIZE YOU'RE IN THE CUTOFF, WHAT THE **** MORE DO YOU WANT W/R/T POSITION?!!!!!!!!
STOP YELLING!!!!But yeah I agree w/ limping behind.
i guess you dont run into donks very much. seems you just want to put it all in on the first hand of a tourny. personally, i dont get into big pots early! was just wonderin what people think and do when you do? talk about taking everything literally! its a discussion on WHAT YOU DO WHEN U R THERE !!! wake up. and as for results orientated....its constant that donks play this way and there is no getting around it...its a fact they call to the turn!
You 2 fire 2 bullets 3 way with just a pair. You're the one making a huge pot early.I check back turn.
thx highway, this is what im looking for. a simple reply to strategy.but does this way make you more chips over time or lose more? thats the whole idea of this discussuion. what makes more chips over time?
it seems with todays players that poker is turning more into bingo??? nobody protects thier stack, just trying to catch. i'd like to hear from winning players on which is the best way to play early in this situation:its a $340 buy-in 10,000 chips, 30 min blinds. you get dealt Ah10h in cutoff. its the first hand of the tourny and blinds are 100/100, utg+1 calls, mp calls, and i raise to 300. i get called by both (1,000 pot) im putting them on suited conn/overs/weak suited A, possible sm pair. flop comes 10d8h4s, it goes chk, chk, i bet 500 and get called by both (pot is 2,500). turn brings 2c and another chk, chk, so i bet 2,500 and utg1 calls and mp folds(pot is now 7,500). i know there are a lot of donkeys out there but the only hand i can put this guy on is J9/97 or possibly slow play a set of 4s and let me bet it for him, but i think thats not the way to play a set by giving me a free shot at a bigger set, plus i would possibly call a raise with over pair. we both have 6,700 left. river comes Qc and utg+1 leads out with 3,500 so i have to fold. i called him out on J9 and he did show it.my question is: 1) how do you play against wreckless players early 2) do i just chk the flop keeping the pot small and let them hit, play it like i did, overbet flop 3) do i shove on the turn, which would be idiotic early in my view, or is it? how do you stop people from donkin early in a tourny? it seems early that some players just dont get away from a hand that they are behind on. personally, if i was utg+1...i was folding on the turn. its too early to to chase. he had a max of 11 outs on the turn at 22% to win. i figured i took pot odds away from him to call.i HATE to lose a pot when i commit myself to one, but whats the best overall way to play (in the long run) vs players like this? i feel i played it right, but man i hate losing chips that way. i keep thinking a shove on the turn but i dont think i could EVER do that. does anyone ever use that ?
did everyone lose the whole concept here? does anyone know? which way makes you lose more or make more chips over time? it seems all im hearing is your own styles of play

lolz at discussing strategy...i think the people in this thread have all said pretty much the same strat...your a joke if you think playing like this is going to keep...i mean make you a winning player. Realize that your not as good as you think, and stop arguing when better players tell you you made a mistake

well true, ive heard limp pre...raise big pre....chk turn...all-in on turn. seems to me no-one knows what is the best way to maximize chip stack in this situation, or minimize losses for that matter. has anyone documented which is the best way? the way i described it is the middle of the road, over time i make lots of chips.

OK...well limping is best most likely b/c we have a marginal hand. IF you choose to raise, raise 1bb for every limper. Now since we hit top pair. I would bet flop. Now once we get calls, we want to play pot control b/c we don't want to get involved in a huge pot this early. So checking is soooo much better than betting. And fold river

thx true, this is what im looking for. yet im a believer in looking at the math of this. i have him 4:1 and over time, i put myself in a good spot with chip domination. i can see a limp pre and checking cuz over time this way, i lose less. but does anyone really know which is best? i love a big stack and running over the table. but i guess my main question was "how to get around the donks early" and i know waiting for them to make a mistake will benifit me when i have the nuts but 4:1, cmon, i'll take that every day of the week and on weekends lol. and as for the A10s being weak...yes it is but 300 to see a flop and hit big is well worth it and if nothing comes...even a partial piece of it, i can fold easy. saved myself 2 bills every time i go 3bb+1 per limper dont ya think?

Question: How to get around donkeys in an mttAnswer: Be very patient b/c they will just completely donate their chips to you.
You don't seem to be grasping the question very well tho, how do you maximize your chip stack in this situation.