I Read An Interesting Article On Poker Psychology Today

A more interesting article would be why some people find it necessary (and acceptable) to insult people on the internet whom they've never met.
People sell short the value of human interaction and the pressures of social standings. If you mess up online, whammy you change your screen name and start over. Anonymity is a powerful drug.
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

People sell short the value of human interaction and the pressures of social standings. If you mess up online, whammy you change your screen name and start over. Anonymity is a powerful drug.
Yes, but then you have zero posts and we all know that the bigger your post count, the bigger your penis
I'll try to bring back some of the psychology.Usually when someone repeats themselves like this, they're lying. Maybe consciously you like yourself, but subconsciously you don't. Lurbz, can you post a picture of yourself so we can decide if it's likely that you actually hate yourself? Social confidence (appearance) is usually a good indication as to whether you like yourself or not. I mean, you could subconsciously hate yourself for lots of reasons: lack of money, friends, intelligence, etc. But, I think starting with appearance is a good idea.
Now this is such a good example of a man who has grown emotionally through trial and error.Before he would have just posted: Post noodz.But now he uses a craftily worded paragraph where he places the desire on the victim to want to post naked pictures of himself on the internet.Very well done, I mean if you're into that sort of thing.
Yes, but then you have zero posts and we all know that the bigger your post count, the bigger your penis
It's weird how often the reality always relates to penis size.It's fun to be a dude
Now this is such a good example of a man who has grown emotionally through trial and error.Before he would have just posted: Post noodz.But now he uses a craftily worded paragraph where he places the desire on the victim to want to post naked pictures of himself on the internet.Very well done, I mean if you're into that sort of thing.
LOL
I'll try to bring back some of the psychology.Usually when someone repeats themselves like this, they're lying. Maybe consciously you like yourself, but subconsciously you don't. Lurbz, can you post a picture of yourself so we can decide if it's likely that you actually hate yourself? Social confidence (appearance) is usually a good indication as to whether you like yourself or not. I mean, you could subconsciously hate yourself for lots of reasons: lack of money, friends, intelligence, etc. But, I think starting with appearance is a good idea.
The bigger issue is the psychology of someone who is proud of being an asshole. "I treat people like crap, and I like who I am." Good for you.
this thread doesn't suck anymore
Yes, yes it does.
Boy Kurt, Freud would have a field day with this little fuax pas of yours...
Yes, yes it does.
^ That, minus the BG leveling.lol @ the "repeating yourself" bit analysis...it was a movie reference (circa Family Guy).EDIT: I would rather get a job than continue on in this thread with the amateur psychologists.
A more interesting article would be why some people find it necessary (and acceptable) to insult people on the internet whom they've never met.
An even more interesting article would be: "Why people who are insulted really gives two sh*ts &/or seem to take it personally when insulted via the interwebs."Sometimes the best thing is to just ignore and not respond to the insulters, IMO.
An even more interesting article would be: "Why people who are insulted really gives two sh*ts &/or seem to take it personally when insulted via the interwebs."Sometimes the best thing is to just ignore and not respond to the insulters, IMO.
/thread
^ That, minus the BG leveling.lol @ the "repeating yourself" bit analysis...it was a movie reference (circa Family Guy).EDIT: I would rather get a job than continue on in this thread with the amateur psychologists.
Better than being with amateur proctologist imo
Wait...so...people who care about/look after their appearance like themselves? You're seriously telling me women like themselves or are confident?

I've just read the manuscript. I can't imagine how this would not be of interest to thinking poker players. The study involves a statistical analysis of a large number of hands at 25/50 NL datamined from Full Tilt for 4 months in 2008. The issue of how to model human situational risk taking goes beyond "tilt" and has to do with how we evaluate risk, what subconscious calculations we make to weight possible outcomes, and how certain biases affect our decision making. This is a big issue in neuroscience right now as we are starting to understand the the neural structures that make these kinds of calculations. It is interesting that the changes after big losses are mostly in VPIP and less so in aggression factor. Also not surprising is that this change in looseness resulted in a decrease in winrate, i.e. it is not a profitable adjustment. There is also some indication of a reduction in aggressiveness following a big win (rather than becoming overconfident and riding their rushes people tend to hoard their winnings). Good stuff.

Well, I think you're going to find that in every aspect of Internet based gaming. Think of how many times people call each other a faggot, nigger, or that they're going to rape your mom when playing COD or Halo. Online poker forums are definitely not exempt from this trend. Lurbz is filling the quota, basically. And I respect him for that.
i read like 5 posts, don't want to go through the rest. Can someone just tell me who wins the e-fight?
Idk about the e-fight but BG most definitely wins the thread.
I've just read the manuscript. I can't imagine how this would not be of interest to thinking poker players. The study involves a statistical analysis of a large number of hands at 25/50 NL datamined from Full Tilt for 4 months in 2008. The issue of how to model human situational risk taking goes beyond "tilt" and has to do with how we evaluate risk, what subconscious calculations we make to weight possible outcomes, and how certain biases affect our decision making. This is a big issue in neuroscience right now as we are starting to understand the the neural structures that make these kinds of calculations. It is interesting that the changes after big losses are mostly in VPIP and less so in aggression factor. Also not surprising is that this change in looseness resulted in a decrease in winrate, i.e. it is not a profitable adjustment. There is also some indication of a reduction in aggressiveness following a big win (rather than becoming overconfident and riding their rushes people tend to hoard their winnings). Good stuff.
See the problem with this forum is now I have no idea whether you're serious or are just screwing with me...
I have a pretty thick skin but anyone who claims to not be a bit bothered by someone calling him/her an idiot is simply lying. Even if the perpetrator is a stranger on the internet. I don't like being called an idiot.