I Read An Interesting Article On Poker Psychology Today

I have a pretty thick skin but anyone who claims to not be a bit bothered by someone calling him/her an idiot is simply lying. Even if the perpetrator is a stranger on the internet. I don't like being called an idiot.
I a'int no perpetrator......idiot.
  • Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I think you're going to find that in every aspect of Internet based gaming. Think of how many times people call each other a faggot, nigger, or that they're going to rape your mom when playing COD or Halo. Online poker forums are definitely not exempt from this trend. Lurbz is filling the quota, basically. And I respect him for that.
in other news, if the season ended now, the wings would not be in the playoffs

4 Things To Learn From This Thead1. BG is usually the funniest guy in the room2. vbnautilus is usually the smartest guy in the room3. people shouldn't take it personally when somebody acts like a douche on the internet4. people play differently at poker depending on whether they are winning or losing1 Thing Still To Be DecidedIs lurbz more of a douche in this thread or more of an a-hole ?

4 Things To Learn From This Thead1. BG is usually the funniest guy in the room2. vbnautilus is usually the smartest guy in the room3. people shouldn't take it personally when somebody acts like a douche on the internet4. people play differently at poker depending on whether they are winning or losing1 Thing Still To Be DecidedIs lurbz more of a douche in this thread or more of an a-hole ?
Douchehole, obv.
a-hole ainec
I think Lurbz is more of a douchebag than ******* personally.
Thanks for coming out, everyone.I learned a valuable lesson here: next time I'll just send interesting articles to vbnautilus.See ya in the forums, lurbz.
This hurts deep man.Hurts deep
Thanks for coming out, everyone.I learned a valuable lesson here: next time I'll just send interesting articles to vbnautilus.See ya in the forums, lurbz.
Look, no flames intended, but the article was interesting, but it was also posted previously and has been seen by many people here. Does that mean you deserved to get flamed? No. But have you overreacted in this thread? Undoubtedly. A few posts back you said that anyone would be offended if someone on the Internet called them an idiot. I assure you that is not the case. I have been called worse and so have many others here. It is meaningless Internet banter. I understand why you find it infuriating that Lurbz is taking pride in being an *******, but if you can't tell that he was having a bad day and blowing off steam at your expense, I don't know what to tell you. I am not saying that it is right for him to do so, but I am saying the safest bet is typically to ignore Internet antagonists. I have no problem with your contributions and hope you keep posting. But if you are going to get upset every time someone flames you, then the Internet is going to be rough. Again, not saying its right, but read the threads around here and you will see. Focus on the posts that engage in your discussion and ignore the rest. For example, I know I will get flamed for this (likely by Lurbz), I just am not concerned about an insult on the Internet. Try to take it with a grain of salt.
you quick, witty response has completely undercut my more serious, lengthier answer aboveThat hurts deep man.Hurts very deep.
It's what I do.I live a life of regret
Look, no flames intended, but the article was interesting, but it was also posted previously and has been seen by many people here. Does that mean you deserved to get flamed? No. But have you overreacted in this thread? Undoubtedly. A few posts back you said that anyone would be offended if someone on the Internet called them an idiot. I assure you that is not the case. I have been called worse and so have many others here. It is meaningless Internet banter. I understand why you find it infuriating that Lurbz is taking pride in being an *******, but if you can't tell that he was having a bad day and blowing off steam at your expense, I don't know what to tell you. I am not saying that it is right for him to do so, but I am saying the safest bet is typically to ignore Internet antagonists. I have no problem with your contributions and hope you keep posting. But if you are going to get upset every time someone flames you, then the Internet is going to be rough. Again, not saying its right, but read the threads around here and you will see. Focus on the posts that engage in your discussion and ignore the rest. For example, I know I will get flamed for this (likely by Lurbz), I just am not concerned about an insult on the Internet. Try to take it with a grain of salt.
or you could find someone to use as a punching bag ....like lets say .....sickboy :club:
or you could find someone to use as a punching bag ....like lets say .....sickboy :club:
Touche. However, when someone seeks attention, tells and admits telling lies, and generally trolls the forums, I am not going to feel too bad about telling him to calm it down. I wish Sick the Shades nothing but the best and hope that a new job will help him find a new perspective in life. That does not change the fact that I think most of his posts are insanity.
So you are always serious then?
Nice.
It's like being in a crowded bar, you just have to keep talking above the fray. If you try and shout at the fray to quiet down, you become part of the fray yourself. I just said fray too many times. Interesting thing is in that same journal you referred to there was an article about this very issue: Grange, K., & Thompson, H. G. (2009). The Effect of Lurbz on the Dynamics of Internet Fora: Douchebaggery or A-hole-ness? Management Science 55(9): 1692-1701.
It's like being in a crowded bar, you just have to keep talking above the fray. If you try and shout at the fray to quiet down, you become part of the fray yourself. I just said fray too many times. Interesting thing is in that same journal you referred to there was an article about this very issue: Grange, K., & Thompson, H. G. (2009). The Effect of Lurbz on the Dynamics of Internet Fora: Douchebaggery or A-hole-ness? Management Science 55(9): 1692-1701.
Like K. Grange can talk, that dude is like the worst at parties. He always corners you and tries to get you to feel his lump in his scrotum.I hate that dude
You're right, I probably did overreact. But it's not just the reaction to being insulted. I also find it incredibly annoying when people hijack threads or provide completely pointless, invaluable input. If you don't think the topic is worth a discussion, then just stay out of it. I think that's a pretty good rule of thumb for the forums in general. Unless you're a moderator, what gives you the right to go around determining what is worthy of discussion and what isn't?
Nah you actually got it right.
Touche. However, when someone seeks attention, tells and admits telling lies, and generally trolls the forums, I am not going to feel too bad about telling him to calm it down. I wish Sick the Shades nothing but the best and hope that a new job will help him find a new perspective in life. That does not change the fact that I think most of his posts are insanity.
Me = a-hole, Him = D-bag, just so were clear.
Grange, K., & Thompson, H. G. (2009). The Effect of Lurbz on the Dynamics of Internet Fora: Douchebaggery or A-hole-ness? Management Science 55(9): 1692-1701.
That paper sounds like it might be very insightful.
^^ That.
These dramabombz picked up posting a little bit - Good work, Jmbreslin!
wtf, lurbz saved this thread
1 Thing Still To Be DecidedIs lurbz more of a douche in this thread or more of an a-hole ?
Genius?bacon-lube-218x470.jpg