And Then Was The Flop [$11 9man Sng]

It's early game, so not much help in the reads department. How do we play vs overcards in this spot?PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 7.5 Tournament, 10/20 Blinds (8 handed) - Poker-Stars Replayer from Poker Hands Replayer1212.gifUTG+1 (t1500)MP1 (t1490)Avii (MP2) (t1470)CO (t3000)Button (t1600)SB (t1410)BB (t1500)UTG (t1530)Avii's M: 49.00Preflop: Avii is MP2 with K :5c, K :club:3 folds, Avii bets t60, 2 folds, SB calls t50, 1 foldFlop: (t140) 5 :ts, A :3h, 7 :qh(2 players)SB bets t60, Avii calls t60Turn: (t260) 10 :jh(2 players)SB checks, Avii checksRiver: (t260) 8 :4h(2 players)SB bets t80, Avii calls t80

I raise the flop to 180, and if he calls, just shut it down, check-fold the rest of the way.But if I just called the flop, somehow, I think I'd bet the turn, and then check-fold the rest of the way if he called.But if I somehow checked the turn, I'd call the river.

Really? That seems pretty weak. Guy calls out of the small blind having already felt somewhat committed to the hand and we're going to give him 100% credit for an ace? Calling flop and checking turn just give some random SB hand a chance to catch up and beat us for free. Should be charging for that.

Looks just about perfect to me. Raising flop, you "may" fold out a weak ace, but it's not all that likely.I think pot control here is best.
looks fine to me
Really? That seems pretty weak. Guy calls out of the small blind having already felt somewhat committed to the hand and we're going to give him 100% credit for an ace? Calling flop and checking turn just give some random SB hand a chance to catch up and beat us for free. Should be charging for that.
Who's giving him credit for an ace? Calling down lets him continue to bluff his air or valuetown himself with 2nd pair. Raising lets him get off those hands.
Who's giving him credit for an ace? Calling down lets him continue to bluff his air or valuetown himself with 2nd pair. Raising lets him get off those hands.
Sure, if he ever bets again with 2nd pair and nothing else. But if he leads the flop, we call, and then he misses, he's just going to keep checking to us most of the time, so there's no valuetown to be had. If the turn is check/check and he leads the river, we have to call, but we have no idea where we are and could easily have let him have free cards to beat us. I don't get why we'd want to do that with just KK. If you don't want to raise the flop (which I can buy into), then why aren't we value betting the turn after his check? If he folds, so be it, he wasn't going to lead a river unless he hit anyway.

It's really really hard to get three streets of value with KK on an Ace high flop. Getting two is fine. It might seem weak in a vacuum, but it is what it is. I don't fear giving free cards when my hand isn't super strong on this board to begin with. FWIW, if he checks the river I'm betting.

The opening bet seems like it was a feeler... I'm thinking he prob. has a weak suited ace and doesn't want you firing a pot sized bet out there with a Ace bigger kicker.A descent bet on the turn and you immediately find out where your at...You either get raised by a big hand... or at this level.. i'm willing to bet he dumps A9 or worse if your bet sizing is right..just my opinion.

The opening bet seems like it was a feeler... I'm thinking he prob. has a weak suited ace and doesn't want you firing a pot sized bet out there with a Ace bigger kicker.A descent bet on the turn and you immediately find out where your at...You either get raised by a big hand... or at this level.. i'm willing to bet he dumps A9 or worse if your bet sizing is right..just my opinion.
Actually I just noted it was an $11 sit n go... haha I thought it was $119... you may not get that fold after all... less likely... lets just hope he has some common sense.:club:
The bolded is not a reason to bet. For the underlined, so you're turning 2nd pair into a bluff? What's the point? Just check the turn behind and call a river bet, or bet if checked to.
The bolded is not a reason to bet. For the underlined, so you're turning 2nd pair into a bluff? What's the point? Just check the turn behind and call a river bet, or bet if checked to.
This ^^ and everything else he's said in the thread. OP played it perfectly.