Bankroll Questions

After years of building to 4 figure bankrolls then blowing it all in an evening playing too high I'm determined to do it right this time (also motivated cause the wife has laid down the law. Play as much as I want as long as I don't lose it all - it's not a money thing though - more of a proof to her that skill is more important than luck)Anyway I'm going to stick with rush poker - it's perfect for my limited attention span and I don't have to go to the home office and multi table on the big monitor _ I can take a netbook in the hot tub and still get in 300 hands per hour.Current bankroll is $100 and I am playing 5c/10c. What do I need to move up to 10c/25c?

You're already playing out of your roll.
Granted. But Rush poker doesn't offer lower stakes so that's where I'm beginning. If I lose the $100 I'll sneak another $100 into the account without telling the boss. I do operate better with a goal though so I wanted to know when I'd be safe to move up.
Granted. But Rush poker doesn't offer lower stakes so that's where I'm beginning. If I lose the $100 I'll sneak another $100 into the account without telling the boss. I do operate better with a goal though so I wanted to know when I'd be safe to move up.
wait a sec 2c/5c just appeared - or i missed it before. So now I'm there. When can I go to 5c/10c?
This reply is exactly the issue I have/had with B/R management from day one. You have 100 bucks online and consider that your "online roll".....but you can just as easily infuse another 100 should you bust because your real life roll far exceeds this 100 bucks. Your first course must be to decide what your bankroll for online poker is going to be, so you can begin to manage that roll by setting up firm parameters and thresholds. The hardest part of this is truly sticking to your plan. It's hard to play 100 bucks like it is your full roll, if you know that yo uhave hundreds if not thousands of dollars behind IRL that you have no problem infusing into the game.There's a thread here somewhere that is a great narrative on B/R management, and structures it into tiers, etc. Search for that. Beyond that, the main thing is that you need to set your parameters and stick to it. Not for a day, or a week, or a month....but in perpituity until you have earned the right to move to your next level.GL, it's WAAAY easier said than done if you are a 9-5'er that plays for fun. I've been grappling with this 'only have a few hours to play a day, but want to prove I can hold a steady win rate.....while playing within proper B/R management levels as to not just bust out and reload. If you are like me, it is INFINITELY easier to bust and reload, and then hit that heater that shoots the account from 100-1k in a very short time. The reason that has worked okay for me in the past is because I have set tiers for w/d'ing. Otherwise you will just want to take a shot at the next level, and that's what keeps this kids in business playing poker professionally. They are sharks.

so you don't even have the disclipline to play correctly in a normal ring game that's not rush poker, but you think an arbitrary buy-in rule is going to keep you from losing your cash?the honest truth is this - if your personal finances can't handle you not having that $100 any more, or replacing it the next time you want to play cards, you shouldn't be playing online poker. You can treat poker like entertainment or a business. I'm not saying you can't enjoy playing if you treat it like a business, but imposing hard and fast rules on your entertainment will keep it from being fun, and making irresponsible decisions with your business will cause you to go broke.

so you don't even have the disclipline to play correctly in a normal ring game that's not rush poker, but you think an arbitrary buy-in rule is going to keep you from losing your cash?the honest truth is this - if your personal finances can't handle you not having that $100 any more, or replacing it the next time you want to play cards, you shouldn't be playing online poker. You can treat poker like entertainment or a business. I'm not saying you can't enjoy playing if you treat it like a business, but imposing hard and fast rules on your entertainment will keep it from being fun, and making irresponsible decisions with your business will cause you to go broke.
this x1000
Point well taken. It's not a business - it's fun. That being said I should be able to have fun while still maintaining discipline. After all it's not winning the absolute dollars that really counts for me, it's the satisfaction of playing well, making proper decisions and showing the wife an online balance that exceeds the one she saw previously. The only problem I'd have there is having too much money in the poker account that she'd start thinking about ways to spend it.Anyway to challenge myself I'll stick to the $5 buy in level until I have 25 buyins or 250 then move to the 10 game.And to the poster who asked about the hot tub - I got this floaty thing that the pc sits on and a wireless mouse. The biggest problem is losing track of time and potentially having a heart attack - especially since I have a beer cooler within easy reach too.
And to the poster who asked about the hot tub - I got this floaty thing that the pc sits on and a wireless mouse. The biggest problem is losing track of time and potentially having a heart attack - especially since I have a beer cooler within easy reach too.
Get rid of the floaty thing with your computer and get your wife with her floaty things in the hot tub. Priorities sir. I wouldn't really make a habit out of sitting in your hot tub for that long. Playing online poker in a hot tub would be cool once or twice, especially in the winter, but if your already worried about health risks, just move that stuff inside.

i played out of my roll this weekend. I have about 2.4k and I moved up to 1/2 in Rush poker because Gavin Smith was playing, but I did end up beating him in a pot haha. I rivered a flush on him when he made a street and took a 80$ pot off him. Too bad I ended up losing 891 in a session (550 shipped away in 30 minutes from brutal beats). I thought it was okay to play above my roll since I would have over 400 easily at times when I played .5/1 in rush poker and a 200 buy in didn't seem too much.

i played out of my roll this weekend. I have about 2.4k and I moved up to 1/2 in Rush poker because Gavin Smith was playing, but I did end up beating him in a pot haha. I rivered a flush on him when he made a street and took a 80$ pot off him. Too bad I ended up losing 891 in a session (550 shipped away in 30 minutes from brutal beats). I thought it was okay to play above my roll since I would have over 400 easily at times when I played .5/1 in rush poker and a 200 buy in didn't seem too much.
Well, it wasn't okay, as evident of you losing more than 1/3rd of your BR by playing way out of your limits. There seems to be so many people on FCP nowadays that continue to take shots, we all can't be ben_g people.
Well, it wasn't okay, as evident of you losing more than 1/3rd of your BR by playing way out of your limits. There seems to be so many people on FCP nowadays that continue to take shots, we all can't be ben_g people.
ben_g is a g thooh and denversports owns my soul in everything everjust came here to bitch about that, i'll go now