Ask Me About... Mike Matusow

Who's Next  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Who Do You Want to Cover Next Week?

• Phil Hellmuth
    • Jennifer Harman
    • Doyle Brunson
    • Gus Hansen
    • Barry Greenstien

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Was Mike really holding drugs for the guy or were they his drugs?Hey you started the topic not me.
Mike was basically entrapped into buying some cocaine for an undercover DEA agent who he thought was a good friend - he claims he said just this once and I don't want to make any money on itThey told him that he could get off if he wore a wire but Mike thought that was too dangerousHe plea bargained even though he thought that he'd been entrapped because he didn't want to risk a really long sentence and figured that whatever judge he got would believe the DEA agent (Who mike said told some lies about him) over him, a gamblerThat's mike version anyway and it seems pretty believable

would you stake mike in bobbys room if he were to make an agrement that he play short sessions and do you think he would be profitable in that game over the long run ?how was mike before the boom has he changed at all ?

Knowing Mike has a bipolar illness have you seen him when he was manic and also in his depressed phrase?how was his poker different in those phrases?

It seems like everyone rides him really hard -- he's kind of a punching bag for a lot of guys in poker.Considering his illness, does he have a support system from other players?[i'm softhearted, I know.]

I've heard Mike say in his "Mouthpiece" video that he never really plays above 400/800.Is this because he thinks he can't stand up to the higher limit competition?.... or because he's usually running short on money?

You visit mike when he was in prison ?
Yes I did a few times and I think he appreciated people coming to see him to break up the boredom. Back then he missed out on a lot of what was happening in poker and I was doing really well at the time.
If he didn't have so many 'demons' would he have won more bracelets than he currently has?Is he a better cash game player or tournament player?Have you ever gone on any road trips with Mike? Any road trip stories that would be interesting to relate?
Not "together" I wouldn't room with him or anything like that. He talks A LOT and I like sleep! We'd see each other at various venues though and always chat.
Was Mike really holding drugs for the guy or were they his drugs?Hey you started the topic not me.
Let me put it to you this way: Mike is too stupid to be a drug dealer. He was always a bit naive about people and he was literally just doing a friend a favor... and went to jail for it.
would you stake mike in bobbys room if he were to make an agrement that he play short sessions and do you think he would be profitable in that game over the long run ?how was mike before the boom has he changed at all ?
It would depend on the lineup. In some games I would stake him if there were rules in terms of hours played, and there are some games I'd say no. Mike hasn't changed all that much. The only difference now is that I think he has a slightly jaded view about how he's perceived in poker, but more importantly, I just don't think he has a grasp of how much being a "poker celebrity" is worth in dollars and cents. He thinks being on TV a lot warrants a lot more money than I do.
Not really and that's probably one of his biggest problems. His idea of a hobby is playing chinese poker.
Interesting. That's probably a dangerous recipe for someone with an attention disorder. Kinda like the whole "idle hands are devil's workplace" thought. Granted in the end I think hobby(s) are really important to balance anyone out. But esp if you doing for a living what many consider a hobby, I think it's paramount that you would take up other things, much akin to you and your fitness and golfing, etc.
Knowing Mike has a bipolar illness have you seen him when he was manic and also in his depressed phrase?how was his poker different in those phrases?
Yes, it's very noticeable when his meds are off. When they are, one or two minor mistakes and he gets down on himself very quickly and then everyone at the table starts to kind of run over him.